Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As impressed as I've been with us under Tim, he's yet to prove anyone wrong or right. Far too early and his only 'notable' win has been against Utd. Has lost to West Ham and Woolwich in both cups. I think after the next 4 games we'll be able to make a better judgement with games against City, Everton and Newcastle that will really test his mettle.

Personally I think for a man who's first ever game in charge of a football team was 4 weeks ago, he's proved a hell of alot. Id say his mettle has been tested, and he had the balls to risk his entire future.

He's beaten 5 vastly more experienced managers in his only 6 league games.......ever.

I think too many people are quick to forget that.

Tim Sherwood: A man who knows his place in relation to the board (specifically the oh so wonderful Mr.Levy) and has, in 37 days, proven he has what it takes to motivate a squad (see: Crystal Palace second half) and sufficient tactical acumen (see: 3-0 win against Swansea just yesterday).
We shouldn't have played that poorly against CP to begin with and we won 3-1 yesterday. Being able to come out stronger against a shit club shouldn't be the basis for Sherwood's support. Coming back from two goals down against a difficult team would be more impressive. The only big win he has under his belt was United, and it was frankly United who have their own issues.

Has an ego, but not so much so that he is dumb enough to harbor any personal grudges when we are in dire need (see: bringing a hungry Ade back into the first team fold)
You and Timmy are close friends I take it. I mean, that's the only way I can guess that you know what he's like personally as it would be impossible to tell after 37 days of his involvement in the team.

Louis Van Gaal: an undoubtedly good coach, great record. Problems with the board WHEREVER he has gone. Been fired from winning programs BECAUSE of his prickly attitude. Has has issues with his club's best players in the past. Is that what you want next season? Is that what we need to succeed???
Name me one top coach who hasn't had issues with some of their best players, the board, or some combination of both.

Tim Sherwood is on an 18 month contract-- I wouldn't say that's "putting all your eggs" in one basket. He's done well, and a strong finish to the season appears to be a reasonable expectation from here on out. The best case scenario is that the club lets him at least begin the final year of his contract. But nope-- results, chemistry and attacking football we all crave aside FUCK ALL TO TIM. IT'S GOING TOO GOOD TIM OUT. Give me a fucking break.
What are you on about, exactly? No, the best case scenario is that we find a long-term coaching solution who can take us to the next level. Sherwood may be that person, but to not talk to any other prospects or talk about other coaching opportunities that may exist is bad business and strategy. Not talking to Van Gaal or any other options that may exist IS putting all your eggs in one basket.

You know, we have had chemistry, results, and attacking football pre-Sherwood, yes?

People wonder why our home record is so bad?? You all could have the slightest bit of decency and actually SUPPORT the club you claim to love.
Because true fans just blindly support whoever is around without possibly wondering if we could be better. Get over yourself.

But go ahead. Call for the big name manager. When he comes in and immediately undoes all of the chemistry we've FINALLY managed to get flowing this season with a 7 new players who, for the most part (Lamela, Cap aside) are FINALLY starting to find their feet, you'll be the first ones to start pitching a little bitch fit on these forums.
Yeah, all that chemistry that Timmy's built in 37 days will be straight down the crapper if F'n Louis Van Gaal come in. :adelol:

I'm not slating Sherwood but please have a little perspective. Van Gaal has had 23 years of proven experience and success. I'll let you in on a little something, a coach doesn't accomplish that by destroying team chemistry.

fucking ridiculous
Couldn't agree more.

Personally I think for a man who's first ever game in charge of a football team was 4 weeks ago, he's proved a hell of alot. Id say his mettle has been tested, and he had the balls to risk his entire future.

He's beaten 5 vastly more experienced managers in his only 6 league games.......ever.

I think too many people are quick to forget that.
Any manager he's up against will be vastly more experienced than him. I disagree about being tested, he's won against sides we're better than, even United, but I'm not going to have the gall to say that is still not a highly impressive result. But we want to compete in the CL next year, so how he adapts and performs against the better quality sides in the 3 I've mentioned will show if he has the capability to be the Spurs manager, not just this year, but in a CL season.

We must remember, and take into consideration that ''honeymoon period'' most new managers go through, we could be experiencing that. I wouldn't say so, because our play has improved which shows more than just an anomaly, but it can't be ruled out either. If we were to take between 0-2 points from these games these nagging worries about his inexperience will grow. But, if he were to get 6-9, I'd be hella impressed and say he's proven something.

Tim Sherwood: A man who knows his place in relation to the board (specifically the oh so wonderful Mr.Levy) and has, in 37 days, proven he has what it takes to motivate a squad (see: Crystal Palace second half) and sufficient tactical acumen (see: 3-0 win against Swansea just yesterday). Has an ego, but not so much so that he is dumb enough to harbor any personal grudges when we are in dire need (see: bringing a hungry Ade back into the first team fold)

Louis Van Gaal: an undoubtedly good coach, great record. Problems with the board WHEREVER he has gone. Been fired from winning programs BECAUSE of his prickly attitude. Has has issues with his club's best players in the past. Is that what you want next season? Is that what we need to succeed???

Tim Sherwood is on an 18 month contract-- I wouldn't say that's "putting all your eggs" in one basket. He's done well, and a strong finish to the season appears to be a reasonable expectation from here on out. The best case scenario is that the club lets him at least begin the final year of his contract. But nope-- results, chemistry and attacking football we all crave aside FUCK ALL TO TIM. IT'S GOING TOO GOOD TIM OUT. Give me a fucking break. People wonder why our home record is so bad?? You all could have the slightest bit of decency and actually SUPPORT the club you claim to love.

But go ahead. Call for the big name manager. When he comes in and immediately undoes all of the chemistry we've FINALLY managed to get flowing this season with a 7 new players who, for the most part (Lamela, Cap aside) are FINALLY starting to find their feet, you'll be the first ones to start pitching a little bitch fit on these forums.

fucking ridiculous
I get your point - but the histrionics are a bit OTT. Whilst I love the results since TS has been at the helm, there are a few things to bear in mind. With the exception of Manure, we have beaten s'oton, palace, stoke and swansea, all of whom we would have expected to beat, and failed to get past WBA at home. Not decrying the points haul, but Manure have been spunking points away at home all season and the rest of the performances, whilst reasonable - haven't shown resolute and impenetrable resolve. This is still a work in progress, I think you will agree.
I'm over the moon at what he has achieved, but there's some good teams yet to play - so lets see how we get on there, before hammering out the 5 year contracts.
Personally I am pleased to see how well he's done, to fuck off the sneering "know alls" who predicted doom, gloom and armageddon with satans evil spawn at the helm. He's the manager of Tottenham, so I want him to do as well as is humanly possible, but the performances are going to need to look a lot more solid, with more substance from the team, before I see a long term contract - and no reason to see past him for the likes of Louis Van Gaal.

Last edited:
The sounds from Timmeh's latest interview are quite clear - only way for him to stay in consideration for the job next season is Top 4 and even that might not be enough. Going to be one hell of a summer of transfers and speculation, I tell you that much

Tim Sherwood: A man who knows his place in relation to the board (specifically the oh so wonderful Mr.Levy) and has, in 37 days, proven he has what it takes to motivate a squad (see: Crystal Palace second half) and sufficient tactical acumen (see: 3-0 win against Swansea just yesterday). Has an ego, but not so much so that he is dumb enough to harbor any personal grudges when we are in dire need (see: bringing a hungry Ade back into the first team fold)

Tim Sherwood is on an 18 month contract-- I wouldn't say that's "putting all your eggs" in one basket. He's done well, and a strong finish to the season appears to be a reasonable expectation from here on out. The best case scenario is that the club lets him at least begin the final year of his contract. But nope-- results, chemistry and attacking football we all crave aside FUCK ALL TO TIM. IT'S GOING TOO GOOD TIM OUT. Give me a fucking break. People wonder why our home record is so bad?? You all could have the slightest bit of decency and actually SUPPORT the club you claim to love.

fucking ridiculous

Good post
We shouldn't have played that poorly against CP to begin with and we won 3-1 yesterday. Being able to come out stronger against a shit club shouldn't be the basis for Sherwood's support. Coming back from two goals down against a difficult team would be more impressive. The only big win he has under his belt was United, and it was frankly United who have their own issues.

You and Timmy are close friends I take it. I mean, that's the only way I can guess that you know what he's like personally as it would be impossible to tell after 37 days of his involvement in the team.

Name me one top coach who hasn't had issues with some of their best players, the board, or some combination of both.

What are you on about, exactly? No, the best case scenario is that we find a long-term coaching solution who can take us to the next level. Sherwood may be that person, but to not talk to any other prospects or talk about other coaching opportunities that may exist is bad business and strategy. Not talking to Van Gaal or any other options that may exist IS putting all your eggs in one basket.

You know, we have had chemistry, results, and attacking football pre-Sherwood, yes?

Because true fans just blindly support whoever is around without possibly wondering if we could be better. Get over yourself.

Yeah, all that chemistry that Timmy's built in 37 days will be straight down the crapper if F'n Louis Van Gaal come in. :adelol:

I'm not slating Sherwood but please have a little perspective. Van Gaal has had 23 years of proven experience and success. I'll let you in on a little something, a coach doesn't accomplish that by destroying team chemistry.

Couldn't agree more.

A whole new level of bullshit...

The sun is green. See, I can say things without providing reason as well.

I've made my feelings known in the other thread when countering Smokey's largely pessimistic argument. I'm just getting sick of defending Sherwood when it really isnt needed...

We've been crying out for stability for years, we're currently on a hot streak and you want to give LVG a hand job behind the bike sheds whilst our current coach is doing so well.

I don't care about other managers at this moment in time, the season is nearing crunch time and we are in hot form. Why ruin it by flirting with a man who is nearing the end of his managerial career and wants one last swansong? His attitude stinks to me, and it reeks of "I have nothing to lose" - If he were to join.

Also, another foreign manager? Yes, worked out so well for Gross, Santini, Ramos, AVB, Ossie, etc...
Only Jol could be considered a success.

I'll never understand Spurs fans. Are we only happy when we're completely fucking miserable?

Why ruin it by flirting with a man who is nearing the end of his managerial career and wants one last swansong? His attitude stinks to me, and it reeks of "I have nothing to lose" - If he were to join.
Not true - he has everything to prove in England

No one is calling for Timmeh's head tomorrow - only suggesting to keep our options open for one of the true managerial behemoths over the last 25 years. He makes AVB look like an amateur and we would be foolish not to at least consider this.

Last edited:
I've made my feelings known in the other thread when countering Smokey's largely pessimistic argument. I'm just getting sick of defending Sherwood when it really isnt needed...

We've been crying out for stability for years, we're currently on a hot streak and you want to give LVG a hand job behind the bike sheds whilst our current coach is doing so well.

I don't care about other managers at this moment in time, the season is nearing crunch time and we are in hot form. Why ruin it by flirting with a man who is nearing the end of his managerial career and wants one last swansong? His attitude stinks to me, and it reeks of "I have nothing to lose" - If he were to join.

Also, another foreign manager? Yes, worked out so well for Gross, Santini, Ramos, AVB, Ossie, etc...
Only Jol could be considered a success.

I'll never understand Spurs fans. Are we only happy when we're completely fucking miserable?
Okay but I still don't understand why my post was a "whole new level of bullshit".

Your key points are that he's English and he's on a five week streak and that for some reason Van Gaal is just looking for a paycheck. Great. Now what happens if we suddenly drop points at the end of the season and end up in eighth place. Then we can all start screaming about how we dropped AVB without any long-term replacements in mind and that this is why we can't rely upon an unproven manager in the top flight of football. Then again, Timmy may surprise us and we'll end up in the top 4.

Either scenario is entirely possible, but the fact is that it would be more irresponsible of Levy and the board to not look for new coaching options than wait and see if Timmy falls on his face to start. I want him to succeed and I want nothing but wins, but it is bad management to not look for other better options.

IWe've been crying out for stability for years, we're currently on a hot streak and you want to give LVG a hand job behind the bike sheds whilst our current coach is doing so well.

Its a hot streak of points, but none of the performances have been exactly classical displays of clinical destruction, have they? Yes I appreciate the list of injuries, new manager/system etc. But to me its like the Bentaleb hysteria, its a tad soon to be betting the farm on Sherwood, surely?

I think if I was Van Gaal, I might have taken a similar line, but that only stands if its a direct quote and there were no other questions in between the one asked and the quote shown. He does come across as arrogant, but then he has a track record that supports a degree of arrogance, wouldn't you say?

Don't defend him then, after all there really is no need. This thread isn't a Timmy Sherwood cunt-off, it's specualting over a potential other manager.

Stability? Hot streak....really?

I don't care about other managers at this moment in time, the season is nearing crunch time and we are in hot form. Why ruin it by flirting with a man who is nearing the end of his managerial career and wants one last swansong?

Lets be honest, we're not flirting with him, the flirting has been done and not another word will be said until the seasons end. Relax, no-one is starting a #TimmehOut campaign, just considering the what if's of another manager.

Not true - he has everything to prove in England

No one is calling for Timmeh's head tomorrow - only suggesting to keep our options open for one the true managerial behemoths over the last 25 years. He makes AVB look like an amateur and we would be foolish not to at least consider this.
AVB doesnt need any help with that.

AVB doesnt need any help with that.

No kidding. Hell, Timmy makes AVB look like an amateur.

Clinical destruction? No. But when you consider that, with a squad hit by key injuries
:paulinhofacepalm::townhmm::sandro:, Timmy has beaten teams it took penalties to dispatch under AVB, I'd say Timmy looks all the more impressive. One must also consider how extremely difficult it is, with no managerial experience, to take over a squad, gain their respect and start producing results immediately. Timmy has done that. Timmy has literally done everything possible to gain our faith, and instead we're off entertaining ideas of hiring another manager. In my opinion, that's a total lack of class.

Sure, every manager feuds with the board. But what happens when the manager feuds with the board at Spurs? Exactly. Levy is a control freak. From what I can tell, LVG is a control freak. Does anyone see that ending well?

*Before anyone disputes Townsend being a "key" injury, ask yourself whether or not you'd prefer to see him or Chadli on the left (disclaimer: I don't hate Chadli. I do love the possibility of giving Townsend more experience on the left).

@ ILSpur ILSpur No, but a decent fan does choose to support a manager who is proving more than capable of handling the job as opposed to talking about how excited he is over the possibility of hiring a new one. The chemistry was certainly down the crapper before Timmy came in, so it stands to reason that it could certainly go right back down the crapper if we were to fire him. He obviously did something to gain the favor of the players, yeah? Don't know too many folks that would enjoy having three different bosses in the span of a year, be it football or office space. But go ahead, like I say.. as soon as our next "dream coach" starts under performing, you and your lot will be out here with pitchforks at the ready.

Last edited:
@ ILSpur ILSpur No, but a decent fan does choose to support a manager who is proving more than capable of handling the job as opposed to talking about how excited he is over the possibility of hiring a new one.
Keeping an open mind into other possible managerial solutions =/= #TIMMYOUT

I fully support Sherwood and give him full credit for helping in the turnaround we've experienced, and I'm not taking anything away from him. That being said, he's been in charge for 37 days. That's nothing for a manager's tenure and if we had been losing much of the last few games that doesn't mean that he would be a failure in the long-term either. I haven't bashed him or criticized him unfairly, I'm simply advocating that it is more irresponsible for us to not be looking into someone like Van Gaal while we're giving Timmy a go, that's it.

The chemistry was certainly down the crapper before Timmy came in, so it stands to reason that it could certainly go right back down the crapper if we were to fire him. He obviously did something to gain the favor of the players, yeah?
It's entirely possible. It's also entirely possible that I could have taken the helm and the players still would have responded positively if things were so dire internally with AVB. When a new coach takes over, players are often given a second chance (Ade), players who were getting limited time suddenly start to kick things into high gear (arguably Lennon or Dembele), and fringe/young players get a chance (Bentaleb).

Whatever the reasons for why we are doing better, I'm loving it, but excuse me if I don't chalk up 37 days of success to the wonders of one Tim Sherwood. Good on him and the players, but 37 days of first team top-tier head coaching doesn't convince me...yet.

Don't know too many folks that would enjoy having three different bosses in the span of a year, be it football or office space. But go ahead, like I say.. as soon as our next "dream coach" starts under performing, you and your lot will be out here with pitchforks at the ready.
And you and your kind can sit around now with your hyperbole and strawman characterizations about me and anyone else that urges temperance with fully supporting Timmy for the future.

TL;DR: Good for Timmy, keep it up! 37 days doesn't prove a manager's future success. It's more irresponsible for Levy to not look for another option at this stage than it is to wait until we've taken a dive.

Sherwood is currently doing feckn great but I will be interested to see how he juggles mid-week european fixtures and week-end league ties. We crashed out of both cups but it was early days under Tim so when the EL rolls back around it will be very interesting to see how he handles the pressure. Van Gaal is a beast but it would be pointless bringing him in unless Levy stayed well out of his way and gave him total control of footballing matters.

The jury is still out on TS for me, but if he achieves CL football this year, then, he's done the job! So keep him in the job! He has got the team, grafting for one another and our tempo of play has improved. Getting the best out of Ade, and I never thought I,d be typing this, but Ade is pivotal to us achieving top 4! On top of that, What I really like about TS
his attitude towards the youth! If they are good enough, they are old enough, as they say!

The reason I,m yet to give TS my 100% seal of approval (I know he is losing sleep over this!!!) is initially, I thought he was all about just being gun-ho! But recently I have seen that he dose have a bit of tactical nous and therefore, I think he just might (and hopefully) pull it off!

An inspiring win against City (Vert, Townsend, Sandro? available) and his stock will hit the roof!

COYS!!

I will boo the fucker if it is 0-0 10mins in to his 1st game.

You'll give him 10 minutes. you happy clappers make me sick. If we aren't at least 4 nil up within the first 5 minutes I want him ejected from the ground preferably on one of those spring coils that will send him flying up and over the ground when levy pulls the lever.:levywhoa:

Back
Top Bottom