Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

United is a top 3 club in the world. We'll never be that. We're a very long way off that.* We have to deal with the reality that when clubs like United want the same player or manager as us that we're going to lose out 999 times out of 1,000.

*Corrected.

We gotta keep some optimism going here... ;)

I honestly thing there would be more pressure on LVG here than it would be on him at United. As a club I see our pinnacle (at this moment in time and for the last five years) as 3rd place. That is probably the best we could hope for in our economic position with the Stadium restraints and wages we are capable of offering (cheers Liverpool for slightly shitting all over this theory)
Us over the last 5 years
09/10 4th
10/11 5th
11/12 4th. Sacked Redknapp
12/13 5th
13/14 6th probably Sacked AVB
Don't see there being available funds for LVG to have a pop with, just an unfolded and talented squad to get fourth with.

Although I am almost 100% United wouldn't appoint a manager who is in his twilight and I don't see him as an option for them.

He would go there with a cool hundred million+ to invest in a ridiculously aged squad, his season would be seen as transitional compared to Moyes as there will be mass in's and outs giving him a little more wriggle room. United have hugely underachieved this year, I agree their squad isn't what it was but we've had Kyle Naughton playing in about 50% of our games this year, our only sort of Striker playing for 50% and we're still above them, they have underachieved massively. He would go in, probably get them in the champions league for a couple of years and hand the mantle over to Guardiola who would make them win everything forever again and LVG would be seen as part of that.

As I wrote that rambling I just became disgusted that we sacked AVB again, I honestly have little to no faith in our appointments anymore purely because we can't afford them time, AVB was flawed in many ways but he had a system and I think it could of turned a bit sexier when Lamela and Eriksen stopped being dead. It's fucking annoying though, appoint a man sell your best player straight away give him money to buy what he wants and then go over his head and buy what you think is right, do exactly the same the year after, sack him and employ youth manager:levywtf:

I honestly thing there would be more pressure on LVG here than it would be on him at United. As a club I see our pinnacle (at this moment in time and for the last five years) as 3rd place. That is probably the best we could hope for in our economic position with the Stadium restraints and wages we are capable of offering (cheers Liverpool for slightly shitting all over this theory)
Us over the last 5 years
09/10 4th
10/11 5th
11/12 4th. Sacked Redknapp
12/13 5th
13/14 6th probably Sacked AVB
Don't see there being available funds for LVG to have a pop with, just an unfolded and talented squad to get fourth with.

Although I am almost 100% United wouldn't appoint a manager who is in his twilight and I don't see him as an option for them.

He would go there with a cool hundred million+ to invest in a ridiculously aged squad, his season would be seen as transitional compared to Moyes as there will be mass in's and outs giving him a little more wriggle room. United have hugely underachieved this year, I agree their squad isn't what it was but we've had Kyle Naughton playing in about 50% of our games this year, our only sort of Striker playing for 50% and we're still above them, they have underachieved massively. He would go in, probably get them in the champions league for a couple of years and hand the mantle over to Guardiola who would make them win everything forever again and LVG would be seen as part of that.

As I wrote that rambling I just became disgusted that we sacked AVB again, I honestly have little to no faith in our appointments anymore purely because we can't afford them time, AVB was flawed in many ways but he had a system and I think it could of turned a bit sexier when Lamela and Eriksen stopped being dead. It's fucking annoying though, appoint a man sell your best player straight away give him money to buy what he wants and then go over his head and buy what you think is right, do exactly the same the year after, sack him and employ youth manager:levywtf:

Liverpool shitted on your theory out of luck, 9 times out of 10 you are right. However the combination of a good manager, no European football, lack of injuries nearly all season, the luck of finding Suarez, sterling and Sturridge and the leadership of Gerrard is a potent mix and very hard to replicate.

Only way we could do is as follows. Get 7th place and miss European football, get de boer as manager, buy bony and lukaku and they score 20 goals a piece, have little injuries all season and our new signing like lamela and capoue show their true worth. Even then it would be hard.

Liverpool shitted on your theory out of luck, 9 times out of 10 you are right. However the combination of a good manager, no European football, lack of injuries nearly all season, the luck of finding Suarez, sterling and Sturridge and the leadership of Gerrard is a potent mix and very hard to replicate.

Only way we could do is as follows. Get 7th place and miss European football, get de boer as manager, buy bony and lukaku and they score 20 goals a piece, have little injuries all season and our new signing like lamela and capoue show their true worth. Even then it would be hard.
They've really built their team through adversity to be fair. Nobody wanted to buy Suarez as he literally bit a bloke just before the transfer window opened, they took a chance with a talented but greedy misfiring striker and they finally replaced the Xabi Alonso figure they needed with Gerrard. They stuck by their manager for more than a season which is always handy and he does have them playing sexy football. As you said though they have had so many lucky factors in their rise but they've grasped it with both hands:avbfacepalm:

LVG has won just about everything going. Now a real challenge would be to come to Spurs win the PL then CL following year. Why go to Manure who have won it all? Where's the challenge in that or am I missing something?
:soldadowatch:

LVZ is not a Utd type manager. Because AF was there forever and before him they were shite. This is new ground for them. They are looking for quick sucess by paying big wages. It could all go horribly wrong. Chelsea are still paying wages to managers past, this way of running a club is not sustainable if it all goes wrong in the short term.

Last edited:
LVG has won just about everything going. Now a real challenge would be to come to Spurs win the PL then CL following year. Why go to Manure who have won it all? Where's the challenge in that or am I missing something?
Yup, you might be missing something.

Van Gaal is at the end of his career and wants to prove himself in the PL. If he can get the United job he'll take it. I think our only hope is that he shows his balls to the Glazer brothers in the job interview.

I fell asleep after I got in from work. While I was asleep I had a dream about LvG coming here and picking us up, bringing back the good times....

...so I think that's done it. Definately off to United.

I'd just like a manager who genuinely wants to take us on, warts n all, buys into the philosophy of the fans & is given a decent opportunity to build a team. How many managers have we had who were left a squad by the previous manager they didn't know what to do with or through choice wouldn't have in their squad? None of them under ENIC's tenure were given sufficient chance to stamp their mark & create their own team- apart from Redkapp perhaps- & he got us into the CL notwithstanding his limitations. ENIC have it wrong in my opinion. Sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forwards- not keep firing managers to try & get a manager who makes it happen overnight. AVB was given lots of money- but to replace the man who gave his team mates confidence & belief. If I was under a new manager every couple of years, expected to stand in for others in roles I didn't know, do a different job every week, work in a different formation, having lost the most gifted colleague every other year- then I'd be pretty confused by it all- especially if I thought my current manager was only filling in.

LVZ is not a Utd type manager. Because AF was there forever and before him they were shite. This is new ground for them. They are looking for quick sucess by paying big wages. It could all go horribly wrong. Chelsea are still paying wages to managers past, this way of running a club is not sustainable if it all goes wrong in the short term.
What about those 5 league championships and the European cup they won under Busby, they weren't exactly pants then.......

Karma dictates that we will get LVG, have the best ever start to a season, abramovich will sack Mourinho at Xmas, LVG will be the first manager to sack Levy & take Chelski to the title & champions league trophy from bottom of the table & bottomed of the CL group...before getting sacked by abramovich & retiring to a brothel in Amsterdam.

Doesn't really fit this thread but I don't know where else to put it.

At Paddy Power you can get 500/1 odds on Howard Webb being the next United manager.

At Skybet the odds of Sherwood being United manager are also 500/1.

:sherwoodwtf:

What about those 5 league championships and the European cup they won under Busby, they weren't exactly pants then.......
Come on, different era, different world of football (nearly 50 years ago). Utd have never had to attract a big name coach, paying big bucks like Chelsea of City in the modern post SKY era. This is new ground for them. Can anyone compete with AF, its a big call?
IMO, Utd (although one of the big clubs in Europe) have always played second fiddle to Liverpool. AF closed the gap a lot but thats come to an end. Any new coach in charge now will be judged against AF and his success. The pressure is on.

Last edited:

Thought that myself. United have won everything under Fergie so they best he could do is be a Fergie lite of some description which is strange considering his managerial career is more impressive than fergies in
Many respects.

Spurs would be a great challenge and a club that he could leave a bigger legacy at if levy does do his normally bollocks. If he is looking for a legacy in england I think we arena better choice than united.

I grew up knowing about Utd and the Spurs, experienced the scum double and the Liverpool domination in the 70's. Now POST SKY, the top 4 teams in PL + City. Unfortunately this IMO does not include THFC.
I am hoping LVG was our catalyst, a start of a new era, new stadium, new ethos muscle in on the best in Europe.

Back
Top Bottom