Lucas Moura

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think Lucas might be the ultimate big game player for us. He’s scored some vital goals in big matches and puts a performance in.

I’ve been critical of him recently, and some of it is probably warranted, but he looks like he’s a big figure in the dressing room as well as in the big games.
Agreed. I’m thinking a similar role to what Fergie gave Park Ji-Sung in that great 06-09 Man Utd team (IMO the best PL team there has been).

He wasn’t Nani, He certainly wasn’t CR7, BUT give him a certain job and you know he’ll give it everything

I just said this in the Bergwijn thread as I think these 2 are playing for 1 spot at the moment.

I prefer Bergwijn. I can't fault Lucas' work, he covers more grass than most and puts himself about.
I just can't see, for all that effort, what he's adding. He rarely scores. He rarely get's assists. He rarely even opens a team up so that others get those stats. I've had a theory for a while and I think a point during the Woolwich game confirmed it - I think he dribbles into players to get free kicks because he knows he's not going anywhere most of the time.
I definitely saw him with the option to run with the ball into space, but look towards an Woolwich player and change direction and then, sure as shit, gets fouled.

He's not diving, he's genuinely getting fouled. I just don't see the point. We haven't been a threat from free kicks anywhere on the pitch for years.

Lucas
33 games
4 goals
2 assists
Average goal contribution 1 goal every 5.5 games

Bergwijn
12 games
3 goals
1 assist
Average goal contribution 1 goal every 3 games

I'd so much love to think of Moura as a world class player esp after Amsterdam.
But the reality is he is a purple patch player and shouldn't start most games.

He is so much better when he stays to the outside and makes simple plays with the ball. I still am not a fan of him being a starter as I don't think it is good to have a player with his limitations in the starting 11 but now I am fine with him staying and being used as a depth player.

I think that he may have done enough to be worth something in the transfer window and if that is the case I hope we capitalize.

I like Lucas, and he has played really well in the last couple of games, maybe that's to do with him finding a position that suits his skill set!
On current form, he has earned his place in the team, all he needs to do is keep playing to this standard all the time, and we may have unearthed a little gem.
Funny how continuous playing time has improved most of the starting eleven and we are looking like a team again.

I like Lucas, and he has played really well in the last couple of games, maybe that's to do with him finding a position that suits his skill set!
On current form, he has earned his place in the team, all he needs to do is keep playing to this standard all the time, and we may have unearthed a little gem.
Funny how continuous playing time has improved most of the starting eleven and we are looking like a team again.
Not exactly unearthed to be fair Mrs. P., PSG signed him from Brazil for more than we paid for him. Comparatively he was definately good value though.

I don't ever recall him working that hard when he was on the pitch under Pochettino tbh.

I wonder - under Poch the players were exhausted, having to "dominate" and when not in possession needing to enforce a high press.
Under Mourinho, you get to sit back - you have to concentrate mentally, but surely it is significantly less punishing physically.
Perhaps that means Lucas can be "released" at the right time, full of beans and ready to show exactly what he can do.

I don't remember every questioning his work ethic, his smarts and abilities for sure.

In fact I think at times he may try to do too much which causes him problems. When he has stayed out wide and not tried to come into the middle playing the ball too much and just getting in the way he has been much more effective.

Back
Top Bottom