Man Citeh (Away)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Defoe and Ade wouldn't even need to feature in a 442.
Ade has looked more than comfortable playing deeper, putting in through balls and generally riling opponents up.
When they play together they somehow seem to buy each other more space.

I know that Citeh have a better squad than us, they are champions and haven't lost at home for an age. The thing that gets me is that today they weren't any better than I believe we could have been.

I'm also not sure it is entirely a personnel issue. At times we don't seem to have the confidence to actually go out and impose ourselves on the opposition.

Not sure why, but that game hurt a little bit more than usual.

Personally I would have picked Lloris and played Adebayor behind Defoe in the same formation. Other than that I really don't see what AVB was to supposed to do differently. Kaboul, BAE and Dembele give us more energy and drive going forward. Missing those players mean playing a situation of "best fit."

Like it or not we are in a transitional period and what we are seeing right now is nowhere near the finished article that AVB will want to put out
We're always in transition aren't we?

Although I'd have probably started with Defoe and Adebayor, AVB is a cautious manager and I could understand him choosing to play one striker because of that. Also I think in that case, starting with Adebayor was right. But he should have grown some balls and replaced Dempsey with Defoe IMO.

I dunno, it's just frustrating watching a Tottenham side that sits back and finishes the game with five defenders. Next week, we desperately need Bale and Lennon to produce more.

But before that he has score 1 in 8 starts, are you Jamie Redknapp in disguise?

And Dempsey has had two open goals, and did nothing all season to justify his place. Im not JR, Im just a Spurs fan who thinks Dempsey is fucking shit, and Defoe isnt.

If we had VDV, there would be a debate for 4-5-1 over 4-4-2.

As it stands, there isnt. Just AVB.

Personally I would have picked Lloris and played Adebayor behind Defoe in the same formation. Other than that I really don't see what AVB was to supposed to do differently. Kaboul, BAE and Dembele give us more energy and drive going forward. Missing those players mean playing a situation of "best fit."

Like it or not we are in a transitional period and what we are seeing right now is nowhere near the finished article that AVB will want to put out

Really?
Yet again Friedel kept the score respectable and Gallas looks as safe as picking a seive to bale a boat out. Dempsey was anonymous and with the exception of Adebayor, no-one forward of Thudd and sandro looked interested.
Yet again he persists in throwing defenders on to protect a lead/not lose, and yet again it slaps him in the face. Substitutions aren't guarantees of resurrection or salvation, but not hobbling your teams chances by doggedly sticking to failures in your selection ability, in the vain hope that they will eventually prove you're right smacks of fiddling whilst Rome burns around you.

Really?
Yet again Friedel kept the score respectable

Yep. I don't know what people are expecting of Friedel. That many shots come at you, you're almost definitely going to concede one or two. Lloris so far has performed worse so far this season, and has made a pretty poor mistake in most games. I feel everyone is just harping on this one point, when it just isn't the problem with our team at the moment.

Defoe on for Dempsey and giving Ade someone to play the ball to was the change that would have been most likely to help us based on how things were when he came on. We didn't make it, so we surrendered any hope of being positive. No blaming personnel for that, the resources were there.

Defoe and Ade wouldn't even need to feature in a 442.
Ade has looked more than comfortable playing deeper, putting in through balls and generally riling opponents up.
When they play together they somehow seem to buy each other more space.

Exactly. He played exactly the same as he did the other night, only this time he had no one ahead of him, as Dempsey hid behind him, jogging about in circles.

Finally bought the new season of Stats Zone just to see what happened today.

In short, if your top passing partnership is Friedel to Adebayor with 10, you're not likely to win shit.

We passed at a rate of 66%, iirc, with about 60% the attempts that City had, but it's hard to get off a lot of passes when you never have the ball.

Fwiw, Dempsey saw the ball 19 times and created a chance, while passing at an 83% completion rate. Tévez completed three more passes (21) than Dempsey did. Agüero completed 19, so as many as Deuce. Adebayor was 23/35, however. So he saw the ball more, but gave it away more, too.

Fwiw, Dempsey saw the ball 19 times and created a chance, while passing at an 83% completion rate. Tévez completed three more passes (21) than Dempsey did. Agüero completed 19, so as many as Deuce. Adebayor was 23/35, however. So he saw the ball more, but gave it away more, too.

Context is everything

The system is not the problem. Fact is, some players either aren't putting in (i.e.: Dempsey) or making vital errors (i.e.: Caulker for both goals).

The system actually suits our current set of players well. Though I can see us moving to a 4-3-3 when Siggy kicks on and Ade cements his starting place.

To be fair, you could substitute in any one of our injured players, and we would've won today.

So you can polish a turd after all.

Context is everything
My point is that, numerically, Clint's numbers are in line with what the other three forwards on the pitch produced. Similarly, he led the side in tackles (3/3, as opposed to Sandro's 2/5) and passes in the attacking third (8/11).

I'm not defending him, but I wonder about confirmation bias I may have exhibited while watching. He wasn't useless out there, but he wasn't David Silva, either, which is perhaps what we expected or hoped for.

Only three of our starters passed at a clip above 70%: Vertonghen, Caulker, and Dempsey. All of city's players except Kolarov met that low standard.

We sucked as a unit. I'm even reconsidering the stick I gave Vertonghen...

Really?
Yet again Friedel kept the score respectable and Gallas looks as safe as picking a seive to bale a boat out. Dempsey was anonymous and with the exception of Adebayor, no-one forward of Thudd and sandro looked interested.
Yet again he persists in throwing defenders on to protect a lead/not lose, and yet again it slaps him in the face. Substitutions aren't guarantees of resurrection or salvation, but not hobbling your teams chances by doggedly sticking to failures in your selection ability, in the vain hope that they will eventually prove you're right smacks of fiddling whilst Rome burns around you.

First of all I'm not blaming Friedel for anything. My personal choice would be Lloris. He needs to bed in at some point and whether Brad is great or not he's not exactly in his prime. Add to that he has twats like Deschamps and Barthez telling him whether he's happy or not it then makes perfect sense to get Lloris settled and shut up the morons that are insistent that there's an issue with him and AVB.

Gallas or Dawson is a case of which slow mistake prone defender do you want next to a youngster. When Kabs and Benny are back it gives us more options.

As for subs I said Defoe with Adebayor in the hole so I'm not praising the Dempsey selection. The other players forward of Sandro and Thudd were the wingers. Our wingers did nothing and we don't have quality backup wide men in the squad yet so it will always be a case of narrowing the play if subs are made. You can't "go for it" if you don't have the staff available to go for it when plan A starts to look shaky.

My post never suggested there wasn't issues

At the moment considering the backroom staff is almost entirely different to last season, we sold 2 influential players and have had to play fringe players and players out of position to cover for injuries to important first teamers....yes we are.

Not disagreeing entirely, I don't underestimate the aaffect this can have.

However, week-in week-out we are playing a team of experienced top quality players. There aren't many in and around our first team that wouldn't get into every team outside the top five and a good few would get into the top five teams. So I am really struggling to understand why we always seem seem so passive when the opposition start to get on top of us. Historically (and this isn't a Harry vs AVB thing) when teams come at us we can be at our most dangerous, at the moment though we don't feel like getting back into a game once our opponents take control.

Back
Top Bottom