Man City (A) - The Adebayor Derby

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can see us nicking this, i think they will come at us seeing as its at theirs. Which will FINALLY leave space in behind for us to attack, cant see them playing as deep as everyone else has done against us. Which means if we defend well we should get chances.

I can see us nicking this, i think they will come at us seeing as its at theirs. Which will FINALLY leave space in behind for us to attack, cant see them playing as deep as everyone else has done against us. Which means if we defend well we should get chances.
And if Nastasic has another 'blinder' :adelol: we've definitely got a chance of scoring a couple goals.

toure's a beast, wouldnt be too confident of overpowering them through the middle...your right though that we should line up 4-3-3 and play on the counter...only way i can see us winning here...
Toure indeed is a beast, but are we any less of a beast (or even 2) ourselves? :sandro:

We can put forth a number of possible combinations for that midfield 3:
Sandro, Dembele, Paulo
Sandro, Capoue, Paulo
Sandro, Capoue, Dembele
Heck maybe even, Sandro, Capoue, Holtby ... and so on.

With City likely to field only 2 midfield bodies, I think we can win the midfield battle with the players at our dispense ... again, especially with Silva out.

As you probably noticed, the key is Sandro. Add to that 2 more powerful players, we got ourselves a handful for City's midfield.

If we can suffice and overcome the loss of creativity from the center, by starting 2 creative wingers (one of which has to be Lamela)... I tend to remain very optimistic for this match.

Last edited:
Sandro will have Toure in his back pocket. The horrible 3-2 game at their place (I'm looking at your short leg, Jermain), I've never seen anyone do to Toure what he did that day.

Plus I watched the Senegal v Ivory Coast qualifer and Toure had very little influence in that game as well.

Toure indeed is a beast, but are we any less of a beast (or even 2) ourselves? :sandro:

We can put forth a number of possible combinations for that midfield 3:
Sandro, Dembele, Paulo
Sandro, Capoue, Paulo
Sandro, Capoue, Dembele
Heck maybe even, Sandro, Capoue, Holtby ... and so on.

With City likely to field only 2 midfield bodies, I think we can win the midfield battle with the players at our dispense ... again, especially with Silva out.

As you probably noticed, the key is Sandro. Add to that 2 more powerful players, we got ourselves a handful for City's midfield.

If we can suffice and overcome the loss of creativity from the center, by starting 2 creative wingers (one of which has to be Lamela)... I tend to remain very optimistic for this match.
With a 3 v 2 scenario and with the players at our disposal, yes we will win the midfield battle...don't be surprised though if city don't make it one and seek to pass quickly to their wide men, rather than playing centrally....sandro' s going to have to have a blinder to make sure aguero, nasri and navas can't run freely at our back 4... This also means that the other 2 midfielders are going to have to provide all the forward momentum.
I expect it to be paulinho, sandro holtby...

We are not going to change formation and experiment in a game like this.

If one thing can be said for our current setup is that it's solid. City are top scorers in the league, and the game is at the Etihad. Trying some inventive 4-3-3 in a game of this magnitude, coming off the back of a defeat against Newcastle (therefore needing points more than ever), is extremely risky.
On paper it all sounds rosy, but it takes more than a few days to get to grips with a new system (as we are doing a good job of showing this season!!)

I'm not half as worried about midfield as I am defence. These are the sort of games Daws is vulnerable to having a 'mare. The pace and skill of Aguero, the movement and technique of Negredo, the strength and height of Dzeko. We need Verts and Kaboul back there with Rose & Walker either side for our best chance. Keep it tight at the back, snatch a goal on the break. Job done.

God help us if Walker gets injured tonight. Naughton will get absolutely annihilated against City's wingers.

What's odd is, when West Ham (and Newcastle to a lesser extent) came to our place, NO ONE could predict an away win... freak results DO happen... and yet when we go up to Man City, it's a nailed on home banker! ...and a tonking at that!
BELIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE! ...at least until the final whistle, when reality can REALLY sink in!

I think we will play well against this sort of team, wouldn't be surprised to see us score even, but I think we will still lose. City have probably the best team/squad in the league and are at home where they have a good record.

I think we will play well against this sort of team, wouldn't be surprised to see us score even, but I think we will still lose. City have probably the best team/squad in the league and are at home where they have a good record.

all that considered, it would then be supremely spursy for us to beat them after having lost to the barcodes at home

written in the stars I tell ye......

Yeah thats basically what happened last season up there - Dzeko will get his goal I am sure

This season in general - not just spurs is a bookies dream, its more unpredictable than ever, Sir Alex has left a big hole, like a power vacuum other teams scrambling to fill

Yeah thats basically what happened last season up there - Dzeko will get his goal I am sure

This season in general - not just spurs is a bookies dream, its more unpredictable than ever, Sir Alex has left a big hole, like a power vacuum other teams scrambling to fill

You are best off with a Dyson. Good Suction.

Back
Top Bottom