Man United [A] Sunday 14 Jan 16:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What's your prediction?

• 3 points

Votes: 150 75.8%
  • 1 point

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • No points

Votes: 9 4.5%

• Total voters
Hojbjerg playing that position is the last thing I will do, too error prone to play as CDM, we need a more capable player to play there.
He's a clogger but he's what we've got, I guess you could functionally swap Bentancur and him around in the 6/8 roles but I'd rather have Bentancur's much silkier passing and dribbling further up the pitch, not to mention he was finding an eye for goal before his long layoff.
But then they went and got a 3-2 win at home to Villa after being 0-2 down.

You never know what Man Utd will show up.
Villa are diabolical away, they scraped past us because we were completely fucked by injuries and suspensions but they've lost to worse teams than United away this season.

Man Utd will show up and this isn't the easy game people think it is in my opinion.
I'm not taking Utd for granted, when the stars align for them they play alright, but IMO too much of what they do hinges on Bruno having a good game, they have no one on the final third of the pitch to make things happen for them other than him right now. Not to mention I think a lot of past times we were going away to the top 6, we were dropping points because of mentality, which I would say hasn't been an issue so far under Ange. I fear Woolwich far more than United and we went there and took a point off them, I fear City far more and likewise we got a point there with a threadbare squad. I'm not precluding that we will win (or not lose) but there's absolutely no reason to fear this United team.

Man Utd will show up and this isn't the easy game people think it is in my opinion.
I hate going there,anfield and the bridge but the times are changing. They will raise their shit game against us but it all comes down to being clinical. We will dominate possession but we need to punish them when we have the chances.

I'm not taking Utd for granted, when the stars align for them they play alright, but IMO too much of what they do hinges on Bruno having a good game, they have no one on the final third of the pitch to make things happen for them other than him right now. Not to mention I think a lot of past times we were going away to the top 6, we were dropping points because of mentality, which I would say hasn't been an issue so far under Ange. I fear Woolwich far more than United and we went there and took a point off them, I fear City far more and likewise we got a point there with a threadbare squad. I'm not precluding that we will win (or not lose) but there's absolutely no reason to fear this United team.

I think our recent performances have worried me greatly when it comes to this one personally.

We rode our luck big time against Everton. We lost to Brighton. Got incredibly fortunate that Bournemouth couldn't score.

I guess we'll find out how much we've missed actual centre backs against United in terms of our overall play because play like we have the last three weeks and this won't be pretty.

I think our recent performances have worried me greatly when it comes to this one personally.

We rode our luck big time against Everton. We lost to Brighton. Got incredibly fortunate that Bournemouth couldn't score.

I guess we'll find out how much we've missed actual centre backs against United in terms of our overall play because play like we have the last three weeks and this won't be pretty.
If VDV and Dragusin start vs United I think we will look much, much better in defence. It's not just on the back foot that we suffer playing 4 full backs, our passing out from the back is much less assured as well. VDV's recovery pace is a massive asset for us that we have sorely missed, a lot of the shit goals we have conceded of late we would never have had to deal with if he had been in the starting XI because he's so good at charging back 40 yards to recover possession.

If VDV and Dragusin start vs United I think we will look much, much better in defence. It's not just on the back foot that we suffer playing 4 full backs, our passing out from the back is much less assured as well. VDV's recovery pace is a massive asset for us that we have sorely missed, a lot of the shit goals we have conceded of late we would never have had to deal with if he had been in the starting XI because he's so good at charging back 40 yards to recover possession.

I hope so.

I do think our play is very reliant on centre backs. From not only just a high line point of view but from an actual build up point of view.

Bentancur being the 6 also helps tremendously. So much press resistant than the alternatives outside of Bissouma.

This game will certainly be a good test. Do we want top four? If so, not losing would be good. Do we want more? Cannot drop points.

I'd be quietly happy with a draw.

Keep the vibes ticking over and buys us time until Brentford to really have everyone fit and raring to go to smash the second half of the PL season.

Just as we solve the defence issue, the attacking one rears it's head.

I'm concerned for our goalscoring without Son.

there’s a shocking difference mate.

And this isn’t me defending or wanting Skipp.

Yeah fair, tbh neither are good enough but with Biss/Sarr away and Maddison still out (& Gallagher not here yet! 😉) I’d personally stull opt for Hojbjerg

Assuming Romero, Davies and GLC are injured.
Assuming Dier and Spence are gone and Reguillon is on his way.
These are all our fit players:

1ST TEAMSUBS
VICARIOFORSTER
PORROROYAL
UDOGIESESSEGNON
DRAGUSINDORRINGTON
VDV
SKIPPHOJBJERG
BENTACURGIL
JOHNSONSANTIAGO
KULUSEVSKIDONLEY
WERNER
RICHARLISONSCARLETT

PSgbQ8U.jpg

Forster, Emerson, Reguilon, Dragusin, Dorrington, Hojbjerg, Skipp, Sessegnon, Gil

It makes more sense, but every time I see Hojbjerg playing he drops too deep and that's exactly the part of the pitch he should be avoiding. I don't know if it's Ange's instructions but I guess no, given he apparently lost his position to Skipp recently.

It's a problem when we don't have Sarr or Bissouma.

If we have Biss but no Sarr, then Bentancur can play R8 and Biss 6.

If we have Sarr but no Biss, then Bentancur plays 6 and Sarr plays R8.

Both cushdy.

As soon as we are choosing Skipp or PEH as the R8.... no bueno.

At a push, I'd play Skipp 6 and Bentancur 8 but given Bentancur is still recovering from injury not sure I'd want him doing all the running that has to be done by that R8 job. So PEH or Skipp it is.

Both cushdy.

At a push, I'd play Skipp 6 and Bentancur 8 but given Bentancur is still recovering from injury not sure I'd want him doing all the running that has to be done by that R8 job. So PEH or Skipp it is.
Long winded way of saying 'we miss Biss and Sarr'...

:kanehand:

Both cushdy.

The midfield options with player availability are :

Kulusevski, Bentancur, Skipp or Hojbjerg

Ange brought Donley on for last 15 minutes against Bournemouth in a CM role (where he has played in youth football), but that would be a huge step up for him to play in this match except off the bench. Would need to play a no 8 role as although he tackles well he lacks the discipline to play as a DM

Back
Top Bottom