Man Utd (A)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Got back at 5am from the game.

Noticed some obvious things.
Both goals made from poor errors by our players. Can't play CM2 if you want Aurier to push on. You have to have a 3 in midfield or the right winger has to track back. Part of the problem with no control in midfield is that we leave 4 players forward and the CMs just get dragged out of position covering the full backs.

Kane dropping far too deep. Lost shape because of it and kept playing long ball to Lucas and Son as a result which wasn't working because they were too narrow and didn't have a target man when they did get the ball. Dele scoring more goals now because he is running beyond kane, but kane has to realise that he needs to be striker when Dele has dropped short. So many times found both of them in midfield together with no out ball.

Defensive frailties can be sorted if you play Sanchez in a back 3. If you want 2 CBs then it has to be Alde and verts with a proper shield in front of them.

Felt we had control of the game when Tanguy, GLC and Eriksen came on because we could retain the ball under pressure. It leaves you open at the back so, need to play at least one of these going forward.

I've seen our midfield under 2 managers now. One thing that was made clear after the game yesterday is how much we missed this guy :dembelewtf:

He is everything that we need in a DM. Controls the ball under pressure, can pass it simple and efficient, can beat a man, strong, crucially does off the ball tracking without the idiocy of giving away penalties, and provides balance because he plays left side.

Still looking for his replacement and I don't see anyone out there we can get...

I think Aurier may have got a bit of a fucking over on the bus home last night. I wonder if José has made team selections based on what he's learned in training yet, or whether he's still taking his lead from what went before and anyone who is left in the set up (is there anyone?).

Do we still use buses I wonder?
Playing cards
Jumpers for goalposts
Hmmm?

I thought that Aurier and Sanchez were our weakest links last night but the team set up wasn’t good either
Lots of lessons learned and I think we’ll benefit from it

Great goal from Dele though and would have been a travesty if it had been disallowed

Got back at 5am from the game.

Noticed some obvious things.
Both goals made from poor errors by our players. Can't play CM2 if you want Aurier to push on. You have to have a 3 in midfield or the right winger has to track back. Part of the problem with no control in midfield is that we leave 4 players forward and the CMs just get dragged out of position covering the full backs.

Kane dropping far too deep. Lost shape because of it and kept playing long ball to Lucas and Son as a result which wasn't working because they were too narrow and didn't have a target man when they did get the ball. Dele scoring more goals now because he is running beyond kane, but kane has to realise that he needs to be striker when Dele has dropped short. So many times found both of them in midfield together with no out ball.

Defensive frailties can be sorted if you play Sanchez in a back 3. If you want 2 CBs then it has to be Alde and verts with a proper shield in front of them.

Felt we had control of the game when Tanguy, GLC and Eriksen came on because we could retain the ball under pressure. It leaves you open at the back so, need to play at least one of these going forward.

I've seen our midfield under 2 managers now. One thing that was made clear after the game yesterday is how much we missed this guy :dembelewtf:

He is everything that we need in a DM. Controls the ball under pressure, can pass it simple and efficient, can beat a man, strong, crucially does off the ball tracking without the idiocy of giving away penalties, and provides balance because he plays left side.

Still looking for his replacement and I don't see anyone out there we can get...

Any team would miss a player like the Moose

Any team would miss a player like the Moose
So underrated. He was the heartbeat of the team when it was at its peak. Players gained confidence from knowing he was there. You just knew that Peak Moose wasn’t losing the football and could wriggle his way out of a telephone box sized space.
It’s no surprise to me that we’ve struggled without him.
You don’t replace a Dembele, but you ought to have a plan B for after his exit.
I don’t think we took his leaving seriously enough.

So underrated. He was the heartbeat of the team when it was at its peak. Players gained confidence from knowing he was there. You just knew that Peak Moose wasn’t losing the football and could wriggle his way out of a telephone box sized space.
It’s no surprise to me that we’ve struggled without him.
You don’t replace a Dembele, but you ought to have a plan B for after his exit.
I don’t think we took his leaving seriously enough.

He clouded alot of our shit. Definitely.

Our players literally admitted that they'd just pass to Dembele if they had no vision or invention because they knew he could just keep the ball.

We take Dembele out and we are just left with slow build up, lack of vision or inventiveness or alot more turnovers due to having no one to take the ball and hold onto it.

There are loads of players who can do what he did in that sense. Ndombele is one of them. Its just crazy it took us a year to see that and now we actually have him, refuse to start him consistently.

Imagine playing Utd and Liverpool away and not starting Ndombele yet he comes off in both games and ends up being our best player

As many are saying DM is the main issue, we desperately need one in jan if we are to have any chance of salvaging the season.
Theres no combination of any two of our mids that works in a 4-2-3-1 whatsoever and playing a three loses us a player further forward which we can't really do either so a decision needs to be made on who to bring in and who to get rid of in all honesty. Sissoko has been appalling last few appearances, has been completely mugged the last three games causing a goal-him and Aurier are a nightmare when they are off. Winks although I am a fan has been pretty crap too and NDombele still doesnt seem ready for 90 mins so we are completely snookered atm.
Lo Celso should be starting games though, its time to give him his chance surely.

I've not read through all the comments yet but here's my take on yesterday's game:

- We were too slow in a lot of things, decision making, passing, counter-attacking and getting back into position.

- Winks & Sissoko don't work as a pairing (we all knew that anyway).

- GLC & N'Dombele should have been on by the 60th minute for Winks & Lucas.

- Kane, as a striker yesterday was poor but his passing and vision are probably the best in our team.

- Aurier was caught out of position too much yesterday and Sissoko had to cover him a lot.

- Aurier has been very good the last few games but yesterday he needed to use his head more.

- They pressed us really well and Rashford caused us a lot of problems by simply running at our defence (or is it defense :allitongue:).

- Alli has got his mojo back (at least for his goal).

We'll beat Burnley and looking at the fixtures we should be in touching distance of the Top 4 by the time the transfer window opens. We really do need some players in, whether it's smart budget buys or all in for a household name, we need to improve, especially at the back.

EDIT:

- N'Dombele was our best player when he came on. He needs to start.

Single biggest loss for the side. Never replaced him. Can't replace him. We're having to formulate a new way of playing.

Same as when Modric left....

How many managers are gonna bite the dust because of it this time round? :avbshock:

If we're going to play Aurier right back we need a midfield three. One to help cover the back line, another the play the role connecting the defence to attack, and then one to deliver the passes.

Dier
Ndombele - Lo Celso
That'd be my ideal 3. Dier is a good enforcer, whilst Ndombele is capable of getting up and down, with Lo Celso providing the creativity. Then you have Winks capable of coming in for Ndombele when needed and either Eriksen or Lamela for Lo Celso. Sissoko can be used in a few positions.

Still think we need another CDM. As for the front line, Lucas isn't reliable. Front 3 of Son, Dele and Kane with options of Lucas and Sessengon from the bench.

Without a mobile DM I tend to feel we need a 3 man midfield, it means dropping Lucas but it should provide a bit better stability. We don’t look like we have the players for 2 CM.

Lo Celso - someone - Ndombele
Dele
Kane Son

Without a mobile DM I tend to feel we need a 3 man midfield, it means dropping Lucas but it should provide a bit better stability. We don’t look like we have the players for 2 CM.

Lo Celso - someone - Ndombele
Dele
Kane Son

Damn you missed off the punchline... :freund:

Back
Top Bottom