Match officials: Bent, incompetent or just trying to do their best.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This thread serves merely as comfort blanket for our teams incompetencies this season.

I mostly agree and a lot of the time the whining is over 50/50 decisions (or ones that are barely even that) but tbf, the diving from Woolwich is clearly a pre-planned strategy and the officials let them get away with it.

And fans can feel rightfully annoyed when we’ve had a player sent off for it and then we watch a diving Olympics show with not a single yellow showed. I don’t think it’s corruption but I do think it’s shit refereeing.

I mostly agree and a lot of the time the whining is over 50/50 decisions (or ones that are barely even that) but tbf, the diving from Woolwich is clearly a pre-planned strategy and the officials let them get away with it.

And fans can feel rightfully annoyed when we’ve had a player sent off for it and then we watch a diving Olympics show with not a single yellow showed. I don’t think it’s corruption but I do think it’s shit refereeing.
It’s too consistently bad to be just shit refereeing…(edit)

Last edited:
Following on from "Has anyone other than Bissouma got a second yellow for simulation?" Has anyone other than Son had a penalty cancelled because he stopped his run up? Rashford did it yesterday. Everyone does it. Son is the only one been done for it. It was one of the FA cups against a low division team, I think the one with all the snow?

Following on from "Has anyone other than Bissouma got a second yellow for simulation?" Has anyone other than Son had a penalty cancelled because he stopped his run up? Rashford did it yesterday. Everyone does it. Son is the only one been done for it. It was one of the FA cups against a low division team, I think the one with all the snow?
It was vs Rochdale at Wembley, I think it was one of the first games with VAR, there were a couple of odd decisions from what I can remember.

Salah should have been booked today for diving.

I can't see how Sarr has to play 2/3rds of a match with a yellow, a yellow he got because he lost his footing, fell, touched the Villa player, and the Villa player threw himself on the floor.

How many players have been given a yellow for falling over, especially when they had done nothing wrong all match?

I also would like to know how many players have been booked for talking back to the ref, as I'm sure Madders has had 2-3 whereas I see other players get away with it far more often.

As for that Son penalty, apparently, it's because you're not allowed to stop your run up.

Son

View: https://youtu.be/-VrcPeDIMOY?si=lmi4TjTJnNvWxTmF

Rashford

View: https://youtu.be/ONCsVQar3Rg?si=WTgsk25nAFc3eQnT&t=97

Rashford didn't stop. Son did.
However, I bet many have stopped and got away with it.

View: https://x.com/francoisplateau/status/1769120571395015084?s=20

Some reading for the naive amongst us that think it's just incompetence and officials don't change the way they referee for different teams and managers.

Klopp and Arteta have been flexing on officials all season for this very reason. If you look at the decisions that went the way of the gooners in games against Liverpool, it looks like woolwich getting their lawyers on the case for diet pep has won them more fear from the officials than Klopp.

Newcastle got more pens today than we’ve had all season.

Another joke pen for golden boy Palmer and his superstar celebration. How he has a trademark celebration when he’s just got here I’ll never understand.
We’ve reached the point where they gave him so many that he’s got bored of taking them and started taking the piss with panenkas

What’s the record number of pens scored by a player in one prem season? I bet he’s getting pretty close

Back
Top Bottom