Match officials: Bent, incompetent or just trying to do their best.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would love to go back to pre var days where refs and linesmen made all decisions definitively...then at least we know there will be human error which we're all used to...waiting before you can celebrate a goal which is given offside because someone has a slightly longer nose..apologies to Rashford..
The game has lost so much of its spontaneity....

Officiating was shocking pre VAR, like really bad.

If we go back to it people will be screaming for it 6 months later.

Even Dermot admitting one was a penalty that VAR should have informed the ref of no contact on the ball.

First one looked a clear pen as well.

Forest got skanked.

1st two I kinda understand, last one was a shocker, could even make a case for Young being sent off as well.

Don't really understand why VAR didn't step in because the ref wrongly thought he got the ball, they're totally pointless if they're not going to intervene and suggest to the ref to look at it again.

1st two I kinda understand, last one was a shocker, could even make a case for Young being sent off as well.

Don't really understand why VAR didn't step in because the ref wrongly thought he got the ball, they're totally pointless if they're not going to intervene and suggest to the ref to look at it again.

Apparently, he's a Luton fan...

:harrylol:

Apparently, he's a Luton fan...

:harrylol:

If that's the case then it's not so outrageous what Forest said, we can't be having fans of opposing teams on the VAR, that's a conflict of interest, I don't see why things like this aren't worthy of discussion, why is it acceptable that officials who support rival teams can officiate these sort of matches?

Funny cause Neville and Carragher were quick to shut it down but Saha was the one who actually agreed with escalating the issue and taking further action which tells you how opposite the French and English think.

Margin of error with Var offsides means there's no clear evidence. If they gave the goal would be same argument the other way
Yep. Always the biggest issue with these is the frame rate on the freeze frame from when the ball is kicked, apparently the Tech coming in (Automated Offsides is far more accurate).

I do like this guys analysis on VAR calls, interestingly in this article the Liverpool goals vs Fulham would most likely get ruled out (I wasn't aware with this green line business, I doubt the comms teams do as I don't every recall them talking about that before).

View: https://x.com/DaleJohnsonESPN/status/1782382205752295500

If that's the case then it's not so outrageous what Forest said, we can't be having fans of opposing teams on the VAR, that's a conflict of interest, I don't see why things like this aren't worthy of discussion, why is it acceptable that officials who support rival teams can officiate these sort of matches?

Funny cause Neville and Carragher were quick to shut it down but Saha was the one who actually agreed with escalating the issue and taking further action which tells you how opposite the French and English think.
Forest lie in their post-match statement they said they "warned the PGMOL that the VAR is a Luton fan before the game but they didn't change him," yet no request was made for Attwell to be replaced nor did they lodge a protest against his appointment. Mark Clattenburg, Forest's refereeing consultant, spoke to Howard Webb, the head of officials in the Premier League, yet he did not raise an issue with Attwell in the VAR hub, this is where he could raise it as an issue if he has one. Other teams have done this in the past and refs/VAR's have been changed.

Forest lie in their post-match statement they said they "warned the PGMOL that the VAR is a Luton fan before the game but they didn't change him," yet no request was made for Attwell to be replaced nor did they lodge a protest against his appointment. Mark Clattenburg, Forest's refereeing consultant, spoke to Howard Webb, the head of officials in the Premier League, yet he did not raise an issue with Attwell in the VAR hub, this is where he could raise it as an issue if he has one. Other teams have done this in the past and refs/VAR's have been changed.

Yeah the statement was poorly written but if there is a Luton fan on VAR then that definitely needs looking at.

That’s what the PGMOL claim right?

Forest claim that Battenberg did warn them

Yeah the statement was poorly written but if there is a Luton fan on VAR then that definitely needs looking at.
There wouldn't have been a Luton fan on VAR if they raised their concerns about it. This has happened before and officials have been moved.

It's outrageous that they moan about it now, post-match.

There wouldn't have been a Luton fan on VAR if they raised their concerns about it. This has happened before and officials have been moved.

It's outrageous that they moan about it now, post-match.

Yeah it's salty but the issue is that there shouldn't be anyone officiating if there's a direct conflict of interest in the match.

Yeah it's salty but the issue is that there shouldn't be anyone officiating if there's a direct conflict of interest in the match.
The issue is with Forrest.

Every team has the right to raise a concern before a match, Forrest employs one of the highest profile ex-refs (are they the ONLY club to have an ex-ref in such a role? I think they are.) to ever have officiated in this country. He met with PGMOL before the game where the opportunity to raise any concerns was appropriate and is standard for the agenda of every pre-match meeting for every team, he didn't raise it as a concern despite knowing who he supported.

It's on Forrest and Battenberg.

The issue is with Forrest.

Every team has the right to raise a concern before a match, Forrest employs one of the highest profile ex-refs (are they the ONLY club to have an ex-ref in such a role? I think they are.) to ever have officiated in this country. He met with PGMOL before the game where the opportunity to raise any concerns was appropriate and is standard for the agenda of every pre-match meeting for every team, he didn't raise it as a concern despite knowing who he supported.

It's on Forrest and Battenberg.

2 things can be true. :thumbup:

2 things can be true. :thumbup:
They didn't have ANY concerns about Atwell before the game, despite having full knowledge of who he supports. But post match they have concerns about Atwell being a Luton supporter.

Sorry, but this is on Forrest and absolutely no one else.

I hope they are relegated as a direct consequence of their post-match message, it's outrageous and undermines the integrity of the game.

They didn't have ANY concerns about Atwell before the game, despite having full knowledge of who he supports. But post match they have concerns about Atwell being a Luton supporter.

Sorry, but this is on Forrest and absolutely no one else.

I hope they are relegated as a direct consequence of their post-match message, it's outrageous and undermines the integrity of the game.

Yes agreed but I don't care about that, that's not my argument, like I said there's a general issue with an opposing fan officiating in a rival match, that needs to be looked at.

Back
Top Bottom