Match Thread: Man United (away)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

might only be 1 win and 3 points, but it could be a massive psychological boost to a team that ,until now, believes it just cant win these games.

Blanchflower said:
Slightly surprised how excited people still are by the game.

A great and memorable win but it's only one game......I hope the players aren't going to think they've 'made it' somehow and will concentrate fully for the game coming up - we need momentum not one of victories.

Kind of feels like we are treating it like our cup final to me.

Boooooooooooooooooo!

Blanchflower said:
Slightly surprised how excited people still are by the game.

A great and memorable win but it's only one game......I hope the players aren't going to think they've 'made it' somehow and will concentrate fully for the game coming up - we need momentum not one of victories.

Kind of feels like we are treating it like our cup final to me.
We managed to beat those smug Surrey wankers, against whom we've always been up against not only their stupendously expensive squad but also the referee, for the first time in 23 years. I absolutely fucking love it.

It's a bird, It's a plane ... No, It's Super-Jan

tumblr_mb4mlvmU7D1rweizno1_1280.jpg

STF said:
Yep i agree Blanch but i also realise now that a lot on the forum have never seen us beat the Mancs away 23 years is a long time im lucky enough to have been at Old Trafford when we have won before this wierd run against them.

So i say let everyone milk what they want out of the result.

This season has a Looong way to go yet.

COYS

The run isn't actually that 'weird' though - Utd lose on average about 1 game a year at home.......given that we were truly dreadful for about 15 years out of the last 23 I'm not sure we can expect to have beaten them any more regularly.....

23 years just sounds like a lot.

"Over-celebrating"? What a bitter bunch of cunts those mancs and media are.

Celebrations were more raucous after the San Siro game, the only over celebrating was in the pub afterwards...just getting back to normal now :dempsey:

Blanchflower said:
STF said:
Yep i agree Blanch but i also realise now that a lot on the forum have never seen us beat the Mancs away 23 years is a long time im lucky enough to have been at Old Trafford when we have won before this wierd run against them.

COYS

The run isn't actually that 'weird' though - Utd lose on average about 1 game a year at home.......given that we were truly dreadful for about 15 years out of the last 23 I'm not sure we can expect to have beaten them any more regularly.....

I think a lot of the celebration might be because people see a slight change in mentality, an important change at that! Not one of our players looked like they were in the slightest afraid of the task at hand. That is an important part of being an elite athlete, no matter the event. And considering our horrendous form prior to the start of the season, that is quite a feat.

23 years IS a lot, and losing on average 1 game a year at home IS really impressive.

Is there something you're not telling us? Are you Mackayla Maroney? Why are you not impressed?

Who pissed in your corn flakes?

Instead of giving a PL game my full attention I have just read through 30 odd pages of this thread as I haven't been on a computer since Friday lunchtime.

Good effort all and get the fuck in there.

Now we'll lose 1-0 at home to Villa :(

Blanchflower said:
STF said:

COYS

No-one is saying they have expected us to be beating them regularly, which goes a lot towards why everyone's buzzing off the result.

23 years is my entire existence :saha:

Kalyl said:
I think a lot of the celebration might be because people see a slight change in mentality, an important change at that! Not one of our players looked like they were in the slightest afraid of the task at hand. That is an important part of being an elite athlete, no matter the event. And considering our horrendous form prior to the start of the season, that is quite a feat.

I'll be honest the one thing that shines through about jan vertonghen is he does not seem to be bothered or even aware of reputations of other teams, it is very early days but this guy could be the difference in the whole attitude and mentality of the players if they take note which i think a few are.

:vert:

VirginiaSpur said:
23 years IS a lot, and losing on average 1 game a year at home IS really impressive.

Not to mention the fact that teams like Blackburn, West Ham, Crystal Palace, Villa, Pompey and Coventry have managed to win there.....but 23yrs is "normal" for Spurs??

The second half could've easily gone against us,.....it always has in the past under similar circumstances- let's not get overly carried away, we defended unbelievably well but also rode our luck

FWIW I think we've got far more chance of beating the 'bigger' teams under AVB, he knows how to set teams up properly.

But I can feel expectations rising, the same expectations that have lead to people booing at home when we've struggled to break down a team that's come to WHL to settle for a 0-0 from the off.

Blanchflower said:
The second half could've easily gone against us,.....it always has in the past under similar circumstances- let's not get overly carried away, we defended unbelievably well but also rode our luck

FWIW I think we've got far more chance of beating the 'bigger' teams under AVB, he knows how to set teams up properly.

But I can feel expectations rising, the same expectations that have lead to people booing at home when we've struggled to break down a team that's come to WHL to settle for a 0-0 from the off.

I understand where you're coming from, but surely a result like this can only be a positive, helping the players to buy into AVB's system, and trust him even more.

Also, I think you've got it backwards about this win and causing expectations to rise. The boos at WHL this season are evidence that very high expectations already exist. If anything, expectations have been too high while we are still adapting to a new system with new players this early in the season. And yet, with this result, AVB has met even the most unreasonable of expectations and therefore bought himself an indisputable measure of goodwill with both the press and the fans. He has done what ten men before him have failed to do, what no man has done in the Premier League era, not even good old Harry. I am so happy for AVB and for the team, because there is absolutely no single league fixture he could have won with more symbolic significance (only away at the Emirates will come close, but even then the haters will say Harry did it first), and it can only help give him more of the breathing room he never got at Chelsea.

Put another way, had we lost to United, would there be more or less booing at half time of the next 0-0 match at WHL? Surely it would only be worse.

Back
Top Bottom