Match thread: panathinaikos vs tottenham (europa league)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

72003_10151117886658505_399129653_n.jpg

See who you can spot, will give some indication to the line up tomorrow, don't see :adegrin2:

Maybe I'm blind tho :ap:

Fuck sake Adebayor, get fit already!

Rested all summer, hardly any pre-season.

Gets injured, out for weeks, still unfit when he does come back, its gonna be a quarter of the season gone before he's up to speed!

We have the depth for this competition. This year, so far, has mostly been without Parker, Lloris, Benny, Kaboul, and Ade. :avbdamn:
I also think Townsend can be just as good- perhaps better than Lennon.

[centre]
200px-PAOemblem.svg.png
[/centre]

Pana were formed in 1908. Mere babies, then. They were originally called P.O.A - Football Club of Athens. In 1910, they were renamed P.P.O - PanHellenic Football Club. Aye, just like Chelsea FC tried to call themselves "London FC" when they formed a good couple of decades after the rest of us. So, Pana risked becoming known as pretentious twats from very early on.

At some point during World War One, Pana assumed the imagery of the Shamrock. Perhaps you will hear stories from people swearing that their Irish granddad served alongside Greek troops, and introduced the luck of the Irish to the Athens club. Maybe.

FWIW, their official site asserts that the three leafed shamrock represents the mind, body, and soul. So smoke a spliff and eat some lentils before tomorrow's game, man.

Since all that old shit happened, Pana have won an impressive number of trophies. Twenty Greek titles, to start with. Add to that seventeen domestic cups, and four Super Cups (the Super Cup is the same as our Charity Shield). Of course, their league is a bit shit, really. But still.

If you choose to peruse the club's list of European "trophies" on their official website, you will see they haven't won any. But they have been quarter-finalists and semi-finalists on a number of occasions in the Champions League and UEFA Cup.

Their league form is DDLDW. And the win was against Levadiakos, who are shit.

They got humped 3-0 at Maribor who most of us thought would be the whipping boys of the group. Of course, most of us didn't know Maribor are from Slovenia or even that they existed, until we drew them in the competition.

So, all of this adds up to a challenging away game in which we'd be happy to scrape a draw. COYS!

scrape a draw? happy? same sentence?! THIS IS TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR GOD DAMNIT we're not happy unless we dare to do! Which means WIN!

Ha, I'm just drunk and talking shit, sir. If we don't smesh em I'm gonna start supporting a team that can be relied on in Europe. Like Man City.

S.L.R said:
[centre][ Image ][/centre]

Pana were formed in 1908. Mere babies, then. They were originally called P.O.A - Football Club of Athens. In 1910, they were renamed P.P.O - PanHellenic Football Club. Aye, just like Chelsea FC tried to call themselves "London FC" when they formed a good couple of decades after the rest of us. So, Pana risked becoming known as pretentious twats from very early on.

At some point during World War One, Pana assumed the imagery of the Shamrock. Perhaps you will hear stories from people swearing that their Irish granddad served alongside Greek troops, and introduced the luck of the Irish to the Athens club. Maybe.

FWIW, their official site asserts that the three leafed shamrock represents the mind, body, and soul. So smoke a spliff and eat some lentils before tomorrow's game, man.

Since all that old shit happened, Pana have won an impressive number of trophies. Twenty Greek titles, to start with. Add to that seventeen domestic cups, and four Super Cups (the Super Cup is the same as our Charity Shield). Of course, their league is a bit shit, really. But still.

If you choose to peruse the club's list of European "trophies" on their official website, you will see they haven't won any. But they have been quarter-finalists and semi-finalists on a number of occasions in the Champions League and UEFA Cup.

Their league form is DDLDW. And the win was against Levadiakos, who are shit.

They got humped 3-0 at Maribor who most of us thought would be the whipping boys of the group. Of course, most of us didn't know Maribor are from Slovenia or even that they existed, until we drew them in the competition.

So, all of this adds up to a challenging away game in which we'd be happy to scrape a draw. COYS!

15653_LBJ_funny_dance_DID_NOT_READ.gif

I’m also not in a position to criticise other managers’ approach to the competition.

“But ask my goalkeeping coach Tony Parkes about when he won the UEFA Cup with our club in 1984.

“When English clubs were later banned from Europe it was every single club’s ambition to play in European competitions.

“I respect the competition. I certainly think it is viewed as a punishment in England and I cannot understand why. It is a traditional trophy.

“We have lost the Cup Winners’ Cup, which I did not think was a good decision. But it was taken to enrich the Europa League.

“It’s full of tradition, particularly in England, so that’s what surprises me about this attitude even more.

“So many great players have won this competition. You can go back to Ray Clemence, Kevin Keegan, Tony Parkes and the list goes on and on.

“You could build the most sensational team of all time from the English players who have won it.

“We at Tottenham view it as an education for the future.

“I certainly believe other countries do not approach it as England do.”

From the Spurs OS.

Apparently this is the Helder Postiga derby and their coach was AVB's predecessor at Porto.

A FEW FACTS ON...PANATHINAIKOS
Posted 03 October 2012 1:08pm
Thursday night's Europa League, Group J clash in Greece marks the first time we've played Panathinaikos.

Here are a few facts on our opponents from Athens.
- Panathinaikos were formed in 1908 and have 20 national titles to their name.
- They play in the impressive OACA (Olympic) Stadium in Athens, which was re-designed for the 2004 Olympic Games. The capacity of the stadium is 69,618.
- The stadium hosted the Champions League Final between Liverpool and AC Milan in 2007. Milan won 2-1.
- They have a wealth of European experience including 26 appearances in the European Cup/Champions League, where they've played 153 matches.
- Under the guidance of the legendary Hungarian player Ferenc Puskas, Panathinaikos reached the 1971 European Cup Final at Wembley but lost to Ajax.
- Panathinaikos have won just one of 16 European matches against English opposition - against Woolwich in the Champions League in September, 2001.
- Panathinaikos coach is Jesualdo Ferreira. Once trainer of Portugal's Under-21 side and assistant boss of the senior national team, he coached SL Benfica and SC Braga before winning an unprecedented three successive Liga titles at Porto from 2006 to 2010. He took command at Panathinaikos in November, 2010.
- Panathinaikos finished runners-up in the Greek Super League last season and qualified for the Champions League. They beat Motherwell in Champions League qualifying third round, but lost to Malaga of Spain in the play-offs.
- They haven't made the best of starts in this season's league campaign, winning just one of five matches and already trailing leaders Olympicos by 11 points.
- This is Panathinaikos' fourth UEFA Cup and UEFA Europa League group stage campaign, and they have successfully reached the knockout phase of the competition in all of their previous efforts.
- However, this season's campaign in Group J didn't start too well with a 3-0 loss against Maribor.
- One player to play for both clubs is Portugese striker Helder Postiga.
- Panathinaikos players Jean-Alain Boumsong (Newcastle) and Sebastian Leto (Liverpool) have played in the Premier League.
- Panathinaikos defender Jose Manuel Velazquez and our young midfielder Yago Falque spent a season together in the Villarreal CF B team in 2010-11.

Back
Top Bottom