Match Thread: S.S. Lazio - Europa League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Big Yid said:
[ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nirQFpP0_0I ]
Interesting Video of The 'minority' at liverpool st station yesterday. at about 2:50 into the video shows the salutes.
when i watched them being herded into the ground yesterday they were doing the salute.
With regards to the game though i thought the atmosphere was good and loud we were sat 2nd row block 30 shelf side Think i left my voice there . The team definitely look stronger now

Bar the saluting that's pretty cool (although I don't know what the chants mean, they could be calling us all cunts :bmj: ). That's what European Away games are about.

The assumptions that I have always made are that Lazio had links to the fascist regime under Mussolini and that it was his club. Some discussion of it here: http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sp ... _team.html

I've also heard that Roma has far-left leanings, but its they who appear to be the most violent mob of the two.

I might be wrong on both counts, but that appears to be the prevailing assumption.

Mind you, when I see, as I saw last night, 100 Lazio fans with fascist tattoos marching arm in arm with West Ham fans, I think the stereotype reinforces itself and that becomes the accepted 'truth' in many people's eyes, rightly or wrongly.

If we went to Rome, and walked arm in arm with Roma fans, wearing Roma scarves. I wouldn't expect it to end well. We hate West Ham, maybe not on the same level as Woolwich but walking in our ground wearing West Ham scarves won't have us look upon you favourably.

All the Lazio posters on here seem like reasonable blokes and I hope you stick around, but naturally some of what we saw last night will have upset us.

For those too lazy to click above, here's a taster. Admittedly quite one-sided and from 2001, but it might explain some things:

Lazio has always had unsavory connections and a spot on the brownshirts' end of the political spectrum. Mussolini adored the team, frequently appearing in the stands. Il Duce even built Lazio's current stadium, replacing the old Stadio del Partito Nazionale Fascista. In part, Mussolini was drawn to Silvio Piola, the team's unstoppable striker.

But the fascists had a deeper attraction to the club. Founded in 1900 by Italian army officers, the club shrouded itself in a martial ethos. The team's logo, a strident-looking eagle, looks as if it could have been ripped off of one of Mussolini's caps. And with its north Rome fan base, Lazio attracted the conservative shopkeepers and bumpkins who constituted fascism's rank and file.

As the memory of Mussolini has grown distant, Lazio's affection for fascism has increased. Rightist parties like the old Alleanza Nazionale treated the team's stadium as their recruiting grounds. In the '80s, the ultras' politics acquired a racist, xenophobic bent as Italy attracted immigrants and Italian soccer attracted Brazilian and African players. New venomous slogans and banners began appearing in the Curva Nord, the ultra section of Lazio's stadium. Before one game last year, police seized 60 different racist and anti-Semitic banners but missed several large ones, including a 50-meter-long banner that taunted fans from a cross-town rival by declaring that they had a "Black Squad, Jewish Home End." At another match against Roma, the opponents were greeted with a sign that told them, "Auschwitz is your town, the ovens your houses." The ultras have been known to appropriate the Nazi font when spelling the "S.S." in S.S. Lazio. And when watching Lazio's matches on the Fox Sports World cable network, you can still catch glimpses of Mussolini's visage adoringly displayed by the crowd.

The ultras aren't merely making political statements. They like to put their slogans into action. During the previous two seasons, police tied Lazio's ultras to several acts of domestic terrorism. One planted a bomb at a museum dedicated to Italy's World War II resistance. Rome police also defused a Lazio bomb at a theater showing a documentary on Adolf Eichmann. On other occasions, Lazio fans have desecrated Jewish cemeteries and beaten players from opposing teams. Even by the appalling standards of European soccer, Lazio fans are object lessons in amorality.

Thelonious said:
If we went to Rome, and walked arm in arm with Roma fans, wearing Roma scarves. I wouldn't expect it to end well. We hate West Ham, maybe not on the same level as Woolwich but walking in our ground wearing West Ham scarves won't have us look upon you favourably.

All the Lazio posters on here seem like reasonable blokes and I hope you stick around, but naturally some of what we saw last night will have upset us.
At the Milan game in the san siro their fans had a West Ham flag, must be the only way West Ham make an appearance in European competition.

I thought we played very well last night and should have had 2 goals that were incorrectly ruled out. The only thing we are missing is forward cover. We have gone from having a selection of strikers to just Defoe (whilst Adebayor is injured). I really like the look of Dembele and Sandro in the middle.

Schoolboy'sOwnStuff said:
The assumptions that I have always made are that Lazio had links to the fascist regime under Mussolini and that it was his club. Some discussion of it here: http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sp ... _team.html

I've also heard that Roma has far-left leanings, but its they who appear to be the most violent mob of the two.

I might be wrong on both counts, but that appears to be the prevailing assumption.

Mind you, when I see, as I saw last night, 100 Lazio fans with fascist tattoos marching arm in arm with West Ham fans, I think the stereotype reinforces itself and that becomes the accepted 'truth' in many people's eyes, rightly or wrongly.

Hi there, and ciao Schoolboy

This is utterly questionable.
See the banners and flags on AS Roma stands we have already posted on another thread in this forum (the longer one reads "Lazio & Livorno - Livorno is allegedly the side with the most lefitst supporters - same Letter, same oven")

ap_7483274_49020.jpg

STADIO.jpg

Indeed there are fascist scums amongst Lazio fans, but this does not total a higher percentage, nowadays, than among other supporters. Unfortunately, let me add.

Also, coming to Mussolini. Whether or not Lazio was his "favourite side", may be a matter of guesses. What counts for the historical evidence, was that Mussolini and the fascist regime wanted to found AS Roma, as the merger-team that had to gather all previous teams from Rome, in order to have a tough team able to compete with the dominant sides from Northern Italy and take the "scudetto" down to Rome (which factually happened in 1942). Well, the only side that refused merging (planned by Mussolini and the regime), was Lazio.

This is a picture of Mussolini watching a match of AS Roma

ducestadioasr.jpg

This is the historical angle regarding the (missing) linkage between Mussolini and Lazio. Although, I must admit, a long time has passed since, and the current situation has no linkage whatsoever to that.

...and the last bit. I am very much looking forward to those idiots (whichever side they support) being seized by authorities - be it in UK, be it in Italy. We cannot do it ourselves.

For those too lazy to click above, here's a taster. Admittedly quite one-sided and from 2001, but it might explain some things:

… Mussolini adored the team, frequently appearing in the stands. Il Duce even built Lazio's current stadium, replacing the old Stadio del Partito Nazionale Fascista. …

although it make use of some well know fact, he put them together to make a story with a big dose of 'heard through the grapevine' fairytale.

For instance the Lazio current stadium was built under Mussolini rule but Lazio started to play there in 1953, 8 year after his death.

The same year as the ‘merde’ team, sharing the ground with them since then.

Before then they both shared another ground, not longer existing, called in different ways depending on the historic period http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadio_Nazionale_PNF.

but still anything but Lazio stadium.

nevertheless the article make the whole thing sounds like ‘Lazio plays in the stadium built for them by Mussolini, and that’s another proof of the club being fascist and the 'duce' being their supporter.’

The kind of attention Lazio get from the press I, and other, extensively spoke of.

PS: just saw now aaron (a Lazio fan who adopted a name of Hebrew origin) post

Lazio fans, about the football: how did you feel about the game? You came to defend and earn a point and you achieved that so are you pleased, or do you think you should have played a different style?

Cripps14 said:
I remember reading that Mussolini actually wanted to combine the two Rome teams, or was this just an urban legend?

Hi Cripps - read my post, 2 posts above yours. It includes the historical insight into it.
Mussolini (well, the dictatorship as a whole) founded AS Roma in 1927, merging all other teams from Rome, and Lazio was the only team to refuse merging.

Ciao!

S.L.R said:
Lazio fans, about the football: how did you feel about the game? You came to defend and earn a point and you achieved that so are you pleased, or do you think you should have played a different style?

I Haven't seen the match - I was on a flight back from a working trip - however, from the highlights and commentaries on our forums, I see our fans are mostly pleased of making a draw (playing away to English teams is traditionally quite awkward to Italian sides).

They basically acknowlegde the Spurs did remarkably better, but they show happy Lazio did not only aim for the draw. This is not in Petkovic style. However, whether you play mostly in your or the opponent's half pitch, is also a matter of strength of your opponent. And Spurs, AFAI undertand, did very well, yesterday.

Cheers, AW

Cripps14 said:
I remember reading that Mussolini actually wanted to combine the two Rome teams, or was this just an urban legend?

Mussolini wanted to create a big team in Rome to contrast the far stronger team of the North who were constantly winning all the title.

Lazio until then managed to get to a couple of finals, Italian footbal was divided in regions and various groups playing in stages and the winners would go to play each other to get into the final.

the guy who was actually managing the creation of this big team was the president of another roman team who had been in talks with Lazio management for a merge between the two and a third.

the resulting team would have to be called Lazio-Fortitudo, or only Lazio, I don't remember.

at the last minute the guy, who also was in charge of the reform of italian football, pull out because Lazio wasn't complying with all his economical request, his team had more debts than Leeds United after going out of the CL years ago, got another guy, a banker, on board with his team and formed the 'merde' adopting the Fascio Littorio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasces#Usage as tehir symbol and had it on their jersey.

Good work, Aaron and CipPi. Nice reads.

Makes you realise that there is ALWAYS more to the truth than what we see.

But isn't it amazing that openly fascist banners can still be displayed at a football match? That is a very strange idea to we Brits.

S.L.R said:

we were all expecting to see a more proactive team and feel lucky to have escaped with a point.

although we had our chances surely Spurs deserved more

but that didn't happen and so ... :excited:

Good work, Aaron and CipPi. Nice reads.

Makes you realise that there is ALWAYS more to the truth than what we see.

But isn't it amazing that openly fascist banners can still be displayed at a football match? That is a very strange idea to we Brits.

And I am very much looking forward to it becoming a strange idea in Italy, too.
That makes me bloody upset.

I mean: I fell in love with a colour - of the flag and the jerseys.
Not with a "political vision" that some want to inappropriately stick to it - whatever the side, whichever the "political vision"

Get me rid of that annoying issue popping up every so often, and I'd enjoy Football (and LAZIO) much better.

aaronwinter said:
Cripps14 said:

Hi Cripps - read my post, 2 posts above yours. It includes the historical insight into it.
Mussolini (well, the dictatorship as a whole) founded AS Roma in 1927, merging all other teams from Rome, and Lazio was the only team to refuse merging.

Ciao!

:avbfacepalm:

I must have missed that bit in your post. Think I got distracted by all the pictures.

Cripps14 said:
aaronwinter said:
Cripps14 said:

Ciao!

:avbfacepalm:

I must have missed that bit in your post. Think I got distracted by all the pictures.

Right, they were sexy enough to distract even the most focussed reader :roflmao:
Ciao Cripps!

Big Yid said:
[ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nirQFpP0_0I ]
Interesting Video of The 'minority' at liverpool st station yesterday. at about 2:50 into the video shows the salutes.
when i watched them being herded into the ground yesterday they were doing the salute.
With regards to the game though i thought the atmosphere was good and loud we were sat 2nd row block 30 shelf side Think i left my voice there . The team definitely look stronger now
I made a youtube comment on how "charming" the Nazi salute is, and some pissed off Italian started in on me. "It isn't the fucking Nazi salute, you idiot. God, I hate ignorant people."

Pretty sure it's the Nazi salute.

edit: Dude says the monkey chanting wasn't racist. :hudd: Says they were doing it to :balesnarl: as well (fair play) and :vert: (this makes no sense). Dude says we were racially abusing their black players, too.

Did they even have any black players on the pitch? :dempsey:

Back
Top Bottom