Match Thread: S.S. Lazio - Europa League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

VirginiaSpur said:
I made a youtube comment on how "charming" the Nazi salute is, and some pissed off Italian started in on me. "It isn't the fucking Nazi salute, you idiot. God, I hate ignorant people."

Pretty sure it's the Nazi salute.

It's not a Nazi salute to them, it's a Roman salute. In my experience they liked d'Annunzio but weren't fans of Hitler.

Honestly I'm more disappointed that they have managed to over-shadow the game and our own support. It is somewhat understandable considering the lack of respect our club has given the competition in the past whilst still charging high ticket prices for Thursday night games and objecting to us standing up or having a drum.

Nevertheless, when an away team comes to our place and manages to out-sing us for the full 90, whether it is racist or abusive or not, then we still let it happen as much as the Lazio fans let it happen. It's pretty clear that their most passionate fans have a say in the running of their club. But it's also pretty obvious to me if we had our most passionate fans have a say in ours then we could have made the headlines instead, or at least taken them away from their fascist fans.

25,030 attendance and probably around 500 fascist fans made the news. Now I'm no mathematician but there was easily room in that stadium for over 500 1882TFC fans who would have out-sung them... surely someone in the club has to realise this when over 10,000 seats are missing.

HyNdZee said:
Now I'm no mathematician but there was easily room in that stadium for over 500 1882TFC fans who would have out-sung them... surely someone in the club has to realise this when over 10,000 seats are missing.

I really wanted the 1882 to also include EL games and it was discussed after Charlton. The guys thought it would be too difficult to arrange back then.

On the attendance/atmosphere for Lazio, what do you lot reckon? How open would the club be to giving 600 tickets for Ultras in the EL? The difference would be fucking unreal, as it would spread...and even if it didnt spread, we'd have a large noisy group not letting us get walked over vocally.

I would definately push the boat out for EL matches, as Id love to be part of the movement.....I just cant re-juggle work and book flights for the Next Gen games. I dont get to Spurs enough these days, so when I come home, I make sure its for a senior game.

Regarding racism, allegedly UEFA will be checking it out. I think the 20k€ fine is a joke, however.

If you heard something, report it!

TEXTING SERVICE - 07766 553 225
The Texting Service is unique at White Hart Lane and has been used to good effect in the past couple of Seasons in enabling us to ban people for committing offences on matchdays.

Foul, abusive and racist language will not be tolerated in this Stadium, but should you experience any of these and wish to report it, you can do so by texting the Control Room on the above number. You do not have to put up with mindless supporters who are intent on ruining your day with us, so use the system, report the individuals and let us take it from there.
http://www.football365.com/news/21554/8096632/AVB-Calls

Villas-Boas did not hear the chants and is therefore happy to leave European football's governing body to decide on whether any action is appropriate.

"I think (UEFA will act if the accusations are proven)," Villas-Boas said in his post-match press conference.

"UEFA is very active on this kind of situation and our overall objective is to kick racism out of football.

"I can't point the finger at anyone in any way shape or form tonight because I didn't hear anything. It's for the authorities to follow up in any kind of investigation."

The anti-racism group FARE posted a link on their Twitter feed giving Spurs fans the chance to report any chants they heard from the away end and UEFA have fined clubs in the past for racist incidents.

Tottenham also operate a strict zero tolerance policy when it comes to racism.

HyNdZee said:
VirginiaSpur said:
I made a youtube comment on how "charming" the Nazi salute is, and some pissed off Italian started in on me. "It isn't the fucking Nazi salute, you idiot. God, I hate ignorant people."

Pretty sure it's the Nazi salute.

It's not a Nazi salute to them, it's a Roman salute. In my experience they liked d'Annunzio but weren't fans of Hitler.

Honestly I'm more disappointed that they have managed to over-shadow the game and our own support. It is somewhat understandable considering the lack of respect our club has given the competition in the past whilst still charging high ticket prices for Thursday night games and objecting to us standing up or having a drum.

Nevertheless, when an away team comes to our place and manages to out-sing us for the full 90, whether it is racist or abusive or not, then we still let it happen as much as the Lazio fans let it happen. It's pretty clear that their most passionate fans have a say in the running of their club. But it's also pretty obvious to me if we had our most passionate fans have a say in ours then we could have made the headlines instead, or at least taken them away from their fascist fans.

25,030 attendance and probably around 500 fascist fans made the news. Now I'm no mathematician but there was easily room in that stadium for over 500 1882TFC fans who would have out-sung them... surely someone in the club has to realise this when over 10,000 seats are missing.

There is no matching Ultras when they come away. English clubs never out sing the ultras unless it's a massive game and the English club is winning.

sammyspurs said:
AlMacca_ said:
There is no matching Ultras when they come away. English clubs never out sing the ultras unless it's a massive game and the English club is winning.

Better 600 1882 singing for the full 90 minutes, than no one at all

I couldn't agree more. If we were allowed our section for an EL game then we could easily out sing them as it would spread. It just won't happen though. Hope I'm wrong.

I'm sure they couldn't allocate an entire section because they'd have to move season ticket holders. And they would take a block away from non-1882 people who want to buy tickets. Just can't see it happening.

Also, would we get 600 people at £35+ a pop? More if it's East or West.

Brilliant idea in principle. Maybe with a bigger stadium.

if the club made it known that an area of the ground would be used for those who want to sing, wheres the problem ? so many positives that far outweigh the negatives. these europa games are not attractive to many fans, even a biggish game v lazio is 10'000 light, something needs to be done. lower prices is the first thing you think of, but people might even pay the current price if they know the atmospheres going to be good, you want to be part of something like that. sitting in a half empty quiet stadium for a meaningless match [matter of opinion i know, but attendance suggests this to be how thousands think] isnt something that exactly excites fans. europa is a chance to get some casual fans in, and also the many loyal fans we have who just cant afford a season ticket.
this 1882 thing will happen in my opinion, because it makes perfect sense for everyone, the club, the fans and the tv advertisers all want to be involved in stuff like this. even if it comes down to the old evil of money, it makes financial sense to guarentee an area of the ground that will sell out no matter what, and will look good on the telly. the point that it could spur the players on to the glory that is our birthright shouldnt be overlooked either, as its the most important of all.

Roman salute = Nazi salute = fascist salute.

They're the exact same thing. The Nazis never called it the Nazi salute, they too called it the Roman salute.

Everyone who uses the salute knows implicitly that what they're doing stands for hate.

I suppose then it will be perfectly reasonable to walk around town today doing the "Bellamy salute," and when someone tries to beat the shit out of me I'll say that they're ignorant and stupid?

1882 said:
Either that or he would've had the same hearing in the West Upper as AVB seems to have had in the dug-out... can't believe AVB didn't hear it? Fence sitting of the highest order, or doesn't he want to 'commit'? of COURSE he heard it, EVERYONE in the ground fucking heard it!

No one else around me in the East Upper heard it.

I was in park lane and didn't hear it, or maybe didn't recognise what it was. I abhor racism and wouldn't sit on the fence if I'd heard it, so can believe AVB didn't hear it.

I heard something strange over the broadcast. Didn't know what the fuck it was at the time. Sounded like squealing or something. Don't know how to describe it, but it was loud and apparent. Brushed it off at the time, but my only explanation in hindsight is that that is what I heard.

VirginiaSpur said:
I heard something strange over the broadcast. Didn't know what the fuck it was at the time. Sounded like squealing or something. Don't know how to describe it, but it was loud and apparent. Brushed it off at the time, but my only explanation in hindsight is that that is what I heard.

I think that was some sort of massed synchronised whistling thing they were doing...never heard the like of it before.

Talking about attendance, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was only on sale to Members and ST holders? I don't think it came on general sale...?

ArtyB said:
VirginiaSpur said:

I think that was some sort of massed synchronised whistling thing they were doing...never heard the like of it before.

Don't a lot of European teams do that when they don't have possession?

Raitei said:
ArtyB said:
VirginiaSpur said:

Don't a lot of European teams do that when they don't have possession?
I know the spaniards do it all the effin time... constant whistling in la liga games, painfull it is!

No it wasn't like that, it was like about 50 guys all doing a single whistle blast at the same time then they did it again about 5 or 6 times in a row.

On a separate point...how about these for a smileys...

scary-lazio-soccer-fan.jpg

article-2206284-151E4D24000005DC-412_634x440.jpg

ArtyB said:
No it wasn't like that, it was like about 50 guys all doing a single whistle blast at the same time then they did it again about 5 or 6 times in a row.

Yeah, I heard that on the tv. Not the normal whistling that Raitei mentioned (and as Kalyl rightly says, is bloody annoying) just short sharp bursts of whistles...though equally annoying!

Back
Top Bottom