Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Emerson is just better than Doherty (hence why he gets selected time and time again over him). He's a significantly better defender and contributes more down the entire flank enabling us better balance. Doherty was marginally better than Emerson higher up the pitch, but really there's not a great deal in it, especially considering Royal has the legs to get back when our attacks break down. We can and perhaps should upgrade him but he'll have a say in this season as Porro's backup (we are still in a good position to challenge for 4th, still in FA Cup and in CL), he has an understanding of what Conte requires of the position.

None of this makes Emerson top-draw but he's only 23yrs old (the same age as Tanganga!!) so he can still be coached and more importantly, there's resale value too might have to wait a further year for that value to become realistic i.e he'll have a book value of £15m then.

Sess is poor in most aspects of the pitch (neither good at defending nor in attack), but he's only 22 and has been with us 3 seasons of a 5-year contract, so making him worth £10m on our books. This should mean he's very saleable and I don't think his salary of £60kpw(??) puts him out of reach of most PL clubs either.

See, there is slight difference in FAITH/BELIEF and REAL WORLD.

1) It is good to repeat belief that Royal is defensively more solid, but when one would watch every minute that both of them have played this season, then you'd get much more defensive blunders from Royal. And sure, he played more too. But I think the lowlight reel would be more awful even considering playing time.
2) Not talking about best performances, but let's look at the worst - Royal game against Woolwich away... he was fooled and stepped past countless of times. He let the team massively down way before he was sent off. There is no such catastrophy to be presented by Doc.
3) It is nice to repeat and repeat the age, but for fuck sake 24 yo is not a kid anymore. If decision making, crossing, timing and everything else is just not there... then it is not there. These are something that are drilled into at an early stage of training. Sure, you can give chance to like of Traore and expect him to "add end product to his game" for all you like. But it is extremely unlikely.
4) I MYSELF have UNDERSTANDING what Conte might require. But I have 0 tools to bring them to life. Same goes for Royal unfortunately. And this has been proven in more instances then Dohertys inability, yet Doc had more to show for.
5) If you have two fairly poor options, for one you could generate money from and from other you could not. Then rational option would be actually cash in from the below-standard player who can generate some return and use the one that cannot. I mean - if you have two cars but need only one. They are of equal comfort, reliability, fuel economy, etc. But one you could sell for 10 000£ and other you would have to give away free... then obviously you would sell the 10k worth car and keep using the one that would not have value?!?

See, there is slight difference in FAITH/BELIEF and REAL WORLD.

1) It is good to repeat belief that Royal is defensively more solid, but when one would watch every minute that both of them have played this season, then you'd get much more defensive blunders from Royal. And sure, he played more too. But I think the lowlight reel would be more awful even considering playing time.
2) Not talking about best performances, but let's look at the worst - Royal game against Woolwich away... he was fooled and stepped past countless of times. He let the team massively down way before he was sent off. There is no such catastrophy to be presented by Doc.
3) It is nice to repeat and repeat the age, but for fuck sake 24 yo is not a kid anymore. If decision making, crossing, timing and everything else is just not there... then it is not there. These are something that are drilled into at an early stage of training. Sure, you can give chance to like of Traore and expect him to "add end product to his game" for all you like. But it is extremely unlikely.
4) I MYSELF have UNDERSTANDING what Conte might require. But I have 0 tools to bring them to life. Same goes for Royal unfortunately. And this has been proven in more instances then Dohertys inability, yet Doc had more to show for.
5) If you have two fairly poor options, for one you could generate money from and from other you could not. Then rational option would be actually cash in from the below-standard player who can generate some return and use the one that cannot. I mean - if you have two cars but need only one. They are of equal comfort, reliability, fuel economy, etc. But one you could sell for 10 000£ and other you would have to give away free... then obviously you would sell the 10k worth car and keep using the one that would not have value?!?
This is such a waste of time to argue, as he was shit and we've terminated his contract to get his wages off our books. Honestly, what's the point?

I actually detailed a post a while ago about Emerson's defending that categorically showed him as our BEST FB/WB in the team (the bar is still low as Sess, Doc and even Perisic and I think Reggie were/are all very poor defensively), but I can't even be bothered to search for it and repost it because and I say again what's the point? We've terminated his contract, we don't want him at Spurs.

Conte thought Emmerson was better than Doc, that's why he selected more. If you disagree with this then go waste Conte's time, send him a PowerPoint, you can argue with him to your heart's content.......

Subbed off against Preston North End

Our MoTM vs Fulham

Last edited:
In what kind of world are you living in ?

Mutual agreement = both sides agreed. That is all it says.
Club had given contractual obligation to pay him 3,4 m£ per season. He had 1,5 to receive so 5,1 million pounds or 5,7 mil EUR.
What makes you think that Doherty just said, "ah, okay, you know, you can keep your 6 million euros, I'm good!"???

It meant that both sides agreed and most likely compromize was found somewhere in the middle. Not that he just gifted the 6 mil.

Or it could just mean what it is .... Club sounded out Doherty's team and asked if he'd like to join them. Doherty asked if he could be released and club agreed to it......

But you stick with your version because it makes your balls feel bigger smhhhh

Or it could just mean what it is .... Club sounded out Doherty's team and asked if he'd like to join them. Doherty asked if he could be released and club agreed to it......

But you stick with your version because it makes your balls feel bigger smhhhh
Yes, sure.

People throw their 1,5 season, 6 mil EUR salary into trash can, just so they could be given 0,5 season contract in it's place.

Baffeling how some people do not have even the most basic level of logic.
But then again - maybe they themselves run around and gift millions here and millions there... cant force people to act rationally and with their best interests in mind.

This is such a waste of time to argue, as he was shit and we've terminated his contract to get his wages off our books. Honestly, what's the point?

I actually detailed a post a while ago about Emerson's defending that categorically showed him as our BEST FB/WB in the team (the bar is still low as Sess, Doc and even Perisic and I think Reggie were/are all very poor defensively), but I can't even be bothered to search for it and repost it because and I say again what's the point? We've terminated his contract, we don't want him at Spurs.

Conte thought Emmerson was better than Doc, that's why he selected more. If you disagree with this then go waste Conte's time, send him a PowerPoint, you can argue with him to your heart's content.......

Subbed off against Preston North End

Our MoTM vs Fulham

Yes, agreed. No point arguing much.

Doc started 5 out of 8 games post WC. One swallow doesn't make spring, one goal against City doesn't make Royal even half adequate attacking player.

And when Doc was shit, we kept much bigger shit. Just that his turd is still more freshly excerted...

Also you can pump and repeat your agenda as much as you like. Fact is - initially he was to go to loan there, our absolute shit planning meant that in the last second we had to panic. Not that we wanted to get rid of him, in last second in panic we had to do something, and did.

If Peresic gets rabies, Sess gets human centipeded, Brandon Austin sucks out his own eyeballs, Kenny the accountant forgets his studs and the left-footed tea lady gets her legs blown off by a tornado then, yes, Davies can fill in.
At left wing back or for the badly injured tea lady , the post is a bit ambiguous

Davies is nothing special but has never really let us down like many players have, I like his attitude but he is not an elite level player unfortunately

Yes, sure.

People throw their 1,5 season, 6 mil EUR salary into trash can, just so they could be given 0,5 season contract in it's place.

But then again - maybe they themselves run around and gift millions here and millions there... cant force people to act rationally and with their best interests in mind.

Go away and come back when you can think of something sensible to respond with, you donut.

Yes, sure.

Yeah there's not a chance in hell that any footballer at Doherty's age (and he's not always been a massive earner in football terms) would throw away any money from a contract. Very obvious we would have had to pay off his contract, anybody arguing otherwise is ... just delusional.

We came to a mutual agreement i.e payoff. 31 year old Doherty did not turn down millions of pounds.

At left wing back or for the badly injured tea lady , the post is a bit ambiguous

Davies is nothing special but has never really let us down like many players have, I like his attitude but he is not an elite level player unfortunately
He’s ok. I’ve never had a problem with him being in the squad but I don’t care for him on the wing in a Conte system.

Go away and come back when you can think of something sensible to respond with, you donut.

My point is fairly logical - people don't gift away 6 million euros that is contractually promised to them.

If your brain is too tiny to grasp this concept, and all you can come up with is "uuuumnn... but...but...maybe they do" - then we have nothing to discuss truly.

Even if you are enough of an idiot to act like this and not understand most basic of logic, then just go out on a street and ask from 100 passing people "Dear sir/madam - if you would have contract for receiving 6 million euros across 1,5 years, would you be willing to terminate it with no compensation". And see what normal people answer to you...

My point is fairly logical - people don't gift away 6 million euros that is contractually promised to them.

If your brain is too tiny to grasp this concept, and all you can come up with is "uuuumnn... but...but...maybe they do" - then we have nothing to discuss truly.

Even if you are enough of an idiot to act like this and not understand most basic of logic, then just go out on a street and ask from 100 passing people "Dear sir/madam - if you would have contract for receiving 6 million euros across 1,5 years, would you be willing to terminate it with no compensation". And see what normal people answer to you...

Oh let me guess... they might have offered him a sign on bonus of £7 million.

Who knows, you're the expert

Oh let me guess... they might have offered him a sign on bonus of £7 million.

Who knows, you're the expert
yea, Atleti offers signing bonus of 7 mil... for HALF OF THE SEASON contract?
Basically what you suggest is that Atleti more than TRIPLED his salary and made 5 months deal with him?

You are absolutely detached from reality, no common sense or logic or anything left as it seems...

In what kind of world are you living in ?

Mutual agreement = both sides agreed. That is all it says.
Club had given contractual obligation to pay him 3,4 m£ per season. He had 1,5 to receive so 5,1 million pounds or 5,7 mil EUR.
What makes you think that Doherty just said, "ah, okay, you know, you can keep your 6 million euros, I'm good!"???

It meant that both sides agreed and most likely compromize was found somewhere in the middle. Not that he just gifted the 6 mil.
So...levy isnt a complete idiot. There is no way hes paying off Doherty to leave. Since the words used were mutual agreement, If I was levy he'd be given a deal where he is released for free and if in the next 18 months he doesnt earn as much as we are supposed to pay him, we make up the difference. Doherty gets what hes supposed to , and since there is a good chance he will get a contract at Athletico or an English club after the next 6 months, we dont pay him all the wages we owed him as someone else takes care of most of it.

Again the disclaimer here is that I dont think Levy is a complete idiot.

Back
Top Bottom