Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The ones he was picked to play against.

Why, you would have preferred to lose 13?
My point is Jose sees thing in training that we don't and picks his players accordingly. If he doesn't trust him to defend against good attacking sides, well he's not a very good defender.

He's good at attacking as a wing back. And that's helpful. But it doesn't make him a starting PL top 4 team defender .

My point is Jose sees thing in training that we don't and picks his players accordingly. If he doesn't trust him to defend against good attacking sides, well he's not a very good defender.

He's good at attacking as a wing back. And that's helpful. But it doesn't make him a starting PL top 4 team defender .
Who said he was a starting top 4 defender?
He’s come into the squad and done his job when called upon but that’s a reason to slag him off.

Love this notion that when back up players do their job so we can actually trust them to rotate, it’s seen as a negative because “it’s only WBA”...

How dare he have a good record in the games he’s been used in

Here’s a fun fact, he’s played 90 minutes 16 times and we’ve:
W13 D 2 L1

In those 16 games we conceded 16 goals and kept 6 clean sheets

How come the paperwork is only valid for Dele?

This is our best starting eleven when counting for wins per 90

Hart
Doherty - Sanchez - Alderweireld - Reguilon
Winks -White
Bale - Ndombele -Lucas
Vinicius
Pretty sure that's our Europa League team lol

This is our best starting eleven when counting for wins per 90 is:

Hart
Doherty - Sanchez - Alderweireld - Reguilon
Winks -White
Bale - Ndombele -Lucas
Vinicius
Pretty sure that's our Europa League team lol
EL team are doing their job well, more than an be said for some of the PL team in recent weeks

Here’s a fun fact, he’s played 90 minutes 16 times and we’ve:
W13 D 2 L1

In those 16 games we conceded 16 goals and kept 6 clean sheets

How come the paperwork is only valid for Dele?
a) Against crap oppostion

b) Since I've seen you spend the whole day defending Dier I know I can't take your opinion seriously on crap players.
(although I agree with you on Dele)

Who said he was a starting top 4 defender?
He’s come into the squad and done his job when called upon but that’s a reason to slag him off.

Love this notion that when back up players do their job so we can actually trust them to rotate, it’s seen as a negative because “it’s only WBA”...

How dare he have a good record in the games he’s been used in
Way to go playing revisionist history. He was brought here to be a starting RB given Aurier's unreliability. Are you intentionally doing it or did you really not realize that was why we brought him in?

I'd have much rather kept our younger more "solid" backup RB and invested that 11 and more for a starting level RB this season.

We had a great transfer summer. Doherty was a blip. That and not getting in a starting quality CB.
And? That doesn’t change the fact he’s doing a good job in the cup team now

He cost fuck all and people expecting Lahm

Kane’s goals:
Ludogrets, Plovdiv, Maccabi Haifa, Schkendija, Southampton, West Ham, Brighton, WBA, Palace, Leeds, Fulham, Sheff Utd, Woolwich

Man U when they were about 17th

Awkward narrative takes pasting

Sons goals:
Schkendija, LASK, Brentford, Southampton, West Ham, Burnley, 17th placed Utd, Leeds, West Brom

City (the same City that doesn’t count for Jose because they “hadn’t clicked yet”)

Liverpool (hmmmm )

World class oppo

Last edited:
Ndombele the world class creator, with the two above world class forwards in front of him, has a whole 3 assists.

Man City, LASK and Brentford

He did however chip in with goals against 17th placed Utd, Plovdiv, Sheff Utd, Wolves and Wycombe

“It’s different to Doherty having a good record against these teams”

I don't think anyone is arguing about the job he does in the cup team, but there have been plenty of times where he looks absolutely clueless in PL games. He was brought in to be our new RB, but here we are 6 months later and everyone still prefer Aurier over him (who granted has improved over last season).

Personally I try not to get too annoyed, and avoid spouting vitriol at players during specific games because everyone can have an off game, but watching Doherty in the Brighton game was something else he couldn't pass the ball half the time.

Being played out of position probably isn't helping the lad, but I've yet to see anything from him this season that's actually impressed me, which the majority of other spurs players have.

I don't think anyone is arguing about the job he does in the cup team,
Yet when I post that we won 13 and lost 1 of the 16 games he’s played in, it’s called out as crap opponents.

However it’s the same opponents in 95% of the cases that Ndombele, Kane and Son have turned up against

Almost like he’s being blamed for not being good enough to play “big” games, so it’s his fault we are shit in “big” games because he didn’t play in them

People need to have some patience before writing off a new transfer as a failure.

Not all players can hit the ground running in their first season, more so with the ongoing pandemic. Many will only settle intheir second year.

Judgement should be reserved till his second season imo.

Yet when I post that we won 13 and lost 1 of the 16 games he’s played in, it’s called out as crap opponents.

However it’s the same opponents in 95% of the cases that Ndombele, Kane and Son have turned up against

Almost like he’s being blamed for not being good enough to play “big” games, so it’s his fault we are shit in “big” games because he didn’t play in them
For me personally the biggest difference is that we’ve seen that Kane, Son, and Ndombele deliver against better opposition, and I can’t say that Doherty has.

I know you never said he was a star player, but can you name one moment where he did something amazing, or even noteworthy? Happy to eat crow on this, but I can’t think of a single one.

Fan reception would be a lot better if he played like Regi, or even showed as much passion as he does.

But yea there are a lot of reason why we’ve been dreadful in some games this season, the blame doesn’t fully rest on his shoulder, or any specific player for that matter.

Back
Top Bottom