Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Its not something i'm proud of ,but...
That was a like a foreign language to me.

I'm still struggling to understand what a false number 9 is!!
It's when you meet someone while wearing a mask in public and she looks like a real catch, but once she takes of her mask you realise it's a man with long silky smooth long hair.

I can’t believe some people were trying to use stats to defend him on here. “He got five assists. His tackle stats are twice Dohertys.” He has no variation to his game at all. He does the same thing time after time, of having acres of space on the right and lobbing in hopeful balls with 1/20 being eventually finding a team-‘mate.

Doherty’s not perfect, but he’ll put in a cross, he’ll feint and try and beat his marker and get into the box for a cut back, or he’ll play a ball to a team-mate and run off the ball for the return pass. I’m so looking forward to not having the predictable waste of possession time and again like with Aurier.

Spot on. Aurier is an incredibly limited player who does not ever challenge opponents in the final third. He is given a lot of freedom to attack but always does the same thing, either play a short ball inside or lump a ball to the back post. Doherty will bring much more variation in play and will help us score goals. With Davies tucking into the 3 man defence and PEH patrolling the middle third, I feel Mou is putting a solid team together with much more ability to execute his tactics than what we had with Aurier and Sissoko in the starting XI.

I don't think it is unfair to question Doherty's defensive ability but I think system context matters, both the system he played in at Wolves and what he would be expected to do at Spurs.

Again, this is a 28 year old Premier League player - this has Mourinho written all over it. This isn't taking a flyer on a young player that you hope develops - we know who and what Doherty is. If Mourinho, his staff and the scouting and analytics department can't properly identify a player at age 28 that would fit what Mourinho wants in that role, than we have much larger problems than Doherty being a worse tackler than Aurier.

He's currently in Sardinia by the way. So probably confirmation within the next few days.
Medical on Monday, reveal on Tuesday, similar to Hojbjerg I imagine who was also coming off holiday.

Levy's getting them in the door basically as soon as he can this summer.

Back
Top Bottom