Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know he’s adjusting to a new system, and I want to be patient. But on defense he looks so slow, so easily turned, so beatable—no quickness whatsoever. And going forward, I see no initiative, no vision, nothing that is remotely threatening.

I keep hoping for... something. Anything. But so disappointed so far.

I hate to make snappy judgements on a new player but I was sceptical of him when we were linked and even more convinced it was a bad move.

He's 28 years old. Not a young player. He had a couple of decent seasons in the PL with Wolves. That's it.

As a team Wolves are really well drilled and a respected outfit. Doherty's role on that team within the framework of how they play was important but he was replaceable for them. He wasn't that crucial. Doherty was not a particularly gifted player with the ball. He was not particularly athletic. He had good movement, was at home in that environment having been a Wolves player since 2010, and was enjoying playing football in that bubble. These factors led to him doing quite well for those two years but replicating them in a new club, with a new system, of which you are being asked different things has exposed him. At Wolves everyone focused on Neves, Moutinho, Jimenez, Traore, Jonny, Jota .... these were the real talented players. Doherty was just the spare man who ghosted in unwatched by the opposition because his movement was clever. He hasn't replicated that with us since that chance vs Everton and besides off the ball runs there's not much else he offers.

He has been disappointing this year because of his play and because he has stopped doing what was working for him early on and while he was at Wolves.

In the Everton game, even though he struggled as a FB he still was great at getting in the box and creating chances. Now he doesn't even bring that. I think he is really struggling to adapt to the FB position and it is making him totally ineffective overall.

I know it is early but he likely should go back to a team that plays with WB's full time. Maybe he will make a big jump but at 29 it seems unlikely that he will become the permanent starting RB that we need and not sure we should change our formation just to fit his needs.

He has been disappointing this year because of his play and because he has stopped doing what was working for him early on and while he was at Wolves.

In the Everton game, even though he struggled as a FB he still was great at getting in the box and creating chances. Now he doesn't even bring that. I think he is really struggling to adapt to the FB position and it is making him totally ineffective overall.

I know it is early but he likely should go back to a team that plays with WB's full time. Maybe he will make a big jump but at 29 it seems unlikely that he will become the permanent starting RB that we need and not sure we should change our formation just to fit his needs.
I agree 100% with this statement its a miracle

Spurs RB’s this century better than Doherty:

Walker
Trippier
Aurier
Kaboul
Corluka
Chimbonda
Carr

Not even sure That he’s better than Stalteri . I’ll give you Pamarot and Naughton.

Another L for the “he’s prem proven!” school of thought.
You forgot that titan Alan Hutton. On Doherty's performances to date, Hutton shades it.

As disappointing to date as Nkoudou, Njie, Janssen and even Soldado. He needs to be given a little more time, but him or Aurier? Who'd be a manager?

In comparison, Walker Peters looks like Roberto Carlos (with a right foot!)

He has made Aurier step up to be fair, one or two mistakes aside Aurier has been excellent this season.
aurier has been a lot better this season but that moment of sheer stupidness and recklessness still lurks and always will. would be happy for a steady RB who gives a 7 performance every game with no moments of stupidity we constantly have to worry about.

aurier has been a lot better this season but that moment of sheer stupidness and recklessness still lurks and always will. would be happy for a steady RB who gives a 7 performance every game with no moments of stupidity we constantly have to worry about.
Great so you want us to have Burnley quality?

Aurier isn’t ultimately ideal either but high risk, high reward especially when you are gunning for big prizes.

Doherty offers NOTHING

Spurs RB’s this century better than Doherty:

Walker
Trippier
Aurier
Kaboul
Corluka
Chimbonda
Carr

Not even sure That he’s better than Stalteri . I’ll give you Pamarot and Naughton.

Another L for the “he’s prem proven!” school of thought.
Just beats Alan Hutton, then.

I see you.

Feel sorry for him. We bought an attacking, marauding wing back 2nd only to Trent Alexander Arnold over the last 2 seasons and have tried to turn him into Lee bloody Dixon. Daren't bomb forward or he'll likely be bollocked. He looks a shadow of the player of the last few seasons but hardly surprising as he's basically playing a totally different position and game.

Back
Top Bottom