Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Look what Jose did to Shaw and how long it has taken for Shaw to blossom once again.

Shaw has managed 6months (max!) quality performances since joining Utd in 2014.

Jose is just a convenient scapegoat.

Jose completely wrecked Doherty's confidence. He deserves a year under his previous manager for whom he did very well

Lucky for Doherty, he's likely to get it; but make no mistake that it's purely a massive quirk of good fortune that his ex manager suddenly turned up..... It's not normal that he's gifted with such an opportunity.

Yes but some managers have a habit of ruining players for a season and Jose has a track record of doing that.

I actually like Jose but you can't deny the facts. So with that history and the fact Doherty has been good in the past, I'm willing to wait a year on my judgement of him. I don't think he should be our starter but I'd take him as a backup.

Ironically, I'm not a big Jose fan (yet find myself defending him from biased criticism), but what facts?

Please don't bother mentioning Luke Shaw; it's lazy and ill informed (see my post above).

Did Jose make Doherty slow and not switched on defensively?

Granted, Jose obviously played a part in wanting him signed to begin with, but that's a different story...... That's not "ruining" him in the manner suggested.

Last edited:
Been on this forum almost ten years, my track record speaks for itself that I’ve never been a negative type.

But I honestly think Doherty is the worst footballer we’ve signed since maybe Gilberto? Maybe even further back than that to Raziak or Atouba.

I can’t work out one thing he’s good at. He’s not fast, he’s not physically, he can’t pass, he can’t cross, he can’t shoot, and sure as shit can’t defend.

The fact that Nuno finished seventh with Wolves in back to back seasons with Doherty starting 74 of the 76 league games played makes me think we may have one of the top 5 managers in the world.

Been on this forum almost ten years, my track record speaks for itself that I’ve never been a negative type.

But I honestly think Doherty is the worst footballer we’ve signed since maybe Gilberto? Maybe even further back than that to Raziak or Atouba.

I can’t work out one thing he’s good at. He’s not fast, he’s not physically, he can’t pass, he can’t cross, he can’t shoot, and sure as shit can’t defend.

The fact that Nuno finished seventh with Wolves in back to back seasons with Doherty starting 74 of the 76 league games played makes me think we may have one of the top 5 managers in the world.
He seems like he has no idea what he’s meant to be doing on the pitch, utterly lost.

If that’s still the case under the manager for whom he achieved everything he’s done, then yikes.

I've never seen a full back play a ball inside and give it to the opposition as much as he does. We need to cut our losses we fucked up bringing this guy in instead of keeping kwp.

He looks perpetually bewildered, like a pigeon stuck in a shed. I suspect he needs the same players in the same system around him week-in week-out so that he can activate his auto-pilot. I don't think he's got the football IQ to improvise.

Bloke on the right doesn't seem to like his job very much.

E9K3nRfXEAUMUWB

E9K354bWYAIPXVw

Last edited:
He seems like he has no idea what he’s meant to be doing on the pitch, utterly lost.

If that’s still the case under the manager for whom he achieved everything he’s done, then yikes.

Played as WB last night... Familiar manager and system..... Looked clueless.... Doesn't appear to have any kind of default mindset (be that get a cross in or whatever)..... Just stops, thinks for ages and then passes back where the ball came from. It's not like the oppo gave him a particularly hard time; they were poor.

There's no winger nor defender in this wing-back.... He's just a body.

If there's no new RB on the horizon, p-l-e-a-s-e just let him go and give Serge an extension for a year.

Played as WB last night... Familiar manager and system..... Looked clueless.... Doesn't appear to have any kind of default mindset (be that get a cross in or whatever)..... Just stops, thinks for ages and then passes back where the ball came from. It's not like the oppo gave him a particularly hard time; they were poor.

There's no winger nor defender in this wing-back.... He's just a body.

If there's no new RB on the horizon, p-l-e-a-s-e just let him go and give Serge an extension for a year.
And sadly Nile John quickly sussed there was absolutely no way he could play quick passing, give & go, technically skillful football with this useless clown Doherty at RWB.

As a result, one of our most talented youngsters endured a pretty soul-destroying 45 minutes after getting a first team start in a meaningful match. Something he's doubtless been dreaming about since joining the club as a kid.

And sadly Nile John quickly sussed there was absolutely no way he could play quick passing, give & go, technically skillful football with this useless clown Doherty at RWB.

As a result, one of our most talented youngsters endured a pretty soul-destroying 45 minutes after getting a first team start in a meaningful match. Something he's doubtless been dreaming about since joining the club as a kid.

Said it last night, but the seniors (not Nuno!) let those young lads down.......

I agree with the sentiments on Doherty. Any hopes there were about him looking better playing under his old manager quickly disappeared last night. He's really poor. Seeing him trying go around a defender while attacking was laughable.

And you forgot to mention that he's a gooner ;)

Back
Top Bottom