Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He talks to his teammtes through google translate.

Cash when Lewandisney trying to give a rousing team talk.
Cousin Meth GIF

Defensively, I don't think he's worse than Emerson. The big issue I see with him is that, being a forward, he might lack 90 mins of defensive concentration, and he's a chunky lad who doesn't seem to have the endurance needed for a WB.
But how do we know that? When we have seen Bergwijn actually play, he isn't afraid of pressing high and doing the work, but high work rate isn't the defining factor for a good defender, it's just one characteristic. Even more important is positioning, organization, and being able to defensively read the attack. I feel like this is getting way overlooked when it comes to Bergwijn.

I'm definitely not a fan of Emerson or am saying that he's great, but he is a trained RB and not excelling in that situation. If he is underperforming in that role, I'm not sure why we think that we can just throw an attacking minded player into that role and think they will perform.

With Romero on his side, I'm not as worried about his defensive weaknesses.

But doesn't Emerson have Romero on his side but still underperforming?

But how do we know that? When we have seen Bergwijn actually play, he isn't afraid of pressing high and doing the work, but high work rate isn't the defining factor for a good defender, it's just one characteristic. Even more important is positioning, organization, and being able to defensively read the attack. I feel like this is getting way overlooked when it comes to Bergwijn.

I'm definitely not a fan of Emerson or am saying that he's great, but he is a trained RB and not excelling in that situation. If he is underperforming in that role, I'm not sure why we think that we can just throw an attacking minded player into that role and think they will perform.

Agreed. Some of the numpties on this forum should go back to their Playstations, when playing Lloris as a centre forward is but a few button presses away.

You can't just 'decide' to play a player out of position because the current incumbent is underperforming. Player take years to learn a position having played in it from an early age.

Bright sparks will quote a few that convert successfully, or a forced through age or diminishing pace to play another position. True, but the overwhelming majority play in a single position for most of their careers

Agreed. Some of the numpties on this forum should go back to their Playstations, when playing Lloris as a centre forward is but a few button presses away.

You can't just 'decide' to play a player out of position because the current incumbent is underperforming. Player take years to learn a position having played in it from an early age.

Bright sparks will quote a few that convert successfully, or a forced through age or diminishing pace to play another position. True, but the overwhelming majority play in a single position for most of their careers

I've said this so many times, but check the home games vs City & the Scum under Jose..... Berg was blatantly playing as an aux FB/WB and was great.

Yet another "sensational" head-line written by a guy set on unbalancing Spurs. Sure, Doherty most probably won't start again this season but even if he's replaced by a new and (much) better RWB from next season I am sure he'll get to start in some games.
It really looks as if the English press have an agenda against Spurs...

ANTONIO CONTE WILL NEVER PICK £15M TOTTENHAM PLAYER AGAIN AFTER INCIDENT – OUR VIEW​

Unfortunately for Tottenham, Matt Doherty will now miss the rest of the season after damaging knee ligaments in the 4-0 win over Aston Villa.

It comes at a cruel time for the £14.7m man, who was enjoying a resurgence under Antonio Conte with two goals and three assists in his last seven Premier League outings.

Now, despite his good form, we think Doherty will never be named in the Italian’s starting XI again.

WHAT’S THE STORY?​

Well, according to The Athletic, Conte was desperate to sign a new right-back in January, but Fabio Paratici failed to bring him one.

The reliable news outlet believe Spurs are expected to address the issue again this summer, with Adama Traore and Djed Spence on their radar.

In our view, that spells the end for Doherty, who was merely acting as a stopgap until the summer transfer window anyway.

Of course, the 30-year-old has been impressive in recent weeks, but he has largely struggled since arriving from Wolves in August 2020.

Therefore, a few good games shouldn’t gloss over the fact that a substantially better option is required in the right wing-back role.

TOTTENHAM SHOULD KEEP MATT DOHERTY​

We must stress that we are by no means suggesting Tottenham sell Doherty.

In our view, the north Londoners must – and allegedly will – upgrade on the Irishman, but he would remain a decent backup option from the bench.

Whether he wants to spend the remainder of his prime acting as a deputy remains to be seen, but he has clearly shown he can be of some value under Conte, and has worked hard to improve his performances.

Someone like Traore or Spence would take Tottenham up a level, but if a game requires a bit of grit as Spurs see out a narrow lead, Doherty would be a smart substitute option.

Having said that, we can’t see him ever making the starting lineup under Conte again, after he was ruled out for the remainder of this campaign.

Yet another "sensational" head-line written by a guy set on unbalancing Spurs. Sure, Doherty most probably won't start again this season but even if he's replaced by a new and (much) better RWB from next season I am sure he'll get to start in some games.
It really looks as if the English press have an agenda against Spurs...

Mate.

1. HITC aren't "the press". Anyone can set up a website and write click-bait articles.
2. By sharing this article you're helping to perpetuate the agenda against Spurs that you've just described.......

Moral..... Be more selective in what you share. 👍

People actually think doherty was the reason we lost? You guys realize doherty left the Villa game at 0-1 and we won 0-4.

We lost today because pretty much the whole team sucked. Matt Doherty doesn’t have the power to affect how son/Kane and our midfield plays.

People actually think doherty was the reason we lost? You guys realize doherty left the Villa game at 0-1 and we won 0-4.

We lost today because pretty much the whole team sucked. Matt Doherty doesn’t have the power to affect how son/Kane and our midfield plays.
Where are we telling that Doherty was the reason we lost? Matt is obviously not the reason, but he offers much more than Emerson and is easily our best wing-back. There will be games when you will see that we are missing him, today was one of them.

Where are we telling that Doherty was the reason we lost? Matt is obviously not the reason, but he offers much more than Emerson and is easily our best wing-back. There will be games when you will see that we are missing him, today was one of them.
There’s a bunch of posts in the game thread that they didn’t realize Doherty made such a difference.

We would have likely been just as poor because the team was poor.

He's better than Emerson which isn't difficult but not sure he would have made much difference today. The whole team was shit.
He'd have made all the difference, as Romero would have passed to him and our game would have been balanced and allowed to flow more naturally.

That 'fluidity block', on the right side, is what collapsed our game, today.

He'd have made all the difference, as Romero would have passed to him and our game would have been balanced and allowed to flow more naturally.

That 'fluidity block', on the right side, is what collapsed our game, today.
Yes, it was worse than I feared. It's not just that Emerson doesn't create many chances. It's also that he can't link the build up play so well. He can't get it into Kane or Kulu the way Doherty can.

Back
Top Bottom