Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Since Poch took over in 2014
There have been 12 domestic titles
CFC Have won 4
City have won 3
Man U have 2
Goons 2
And Leicester 1
And people are saying that if he was any good he should have won 2+

Leicester were a freak
And the rest all have massively bigger budgets than us and we are in .debt for an 800 million pound stadium

I'd be interested to hear why the guy is such a flop since we have qualified for CL in 3 of his 4 seasons

This might be .the longest we have gone without silverware, but we are now in competition with teams with massive budgets, and we now have Liverpool and potentially Wolves to add to the list in future.
The world has moved on from when we routinely used to win things. People need to open their eyes.

People feel he has played experimental teams in key cup games.
For me, the 4-2 Chelsea semi defeat was just bizarre, considering just a month or so earlier we beat them 2-0 in a match many felt could have easily been 6-0.

But we get to the semi, use a different approach, stick Son at LB and don’t press.
It wasn’t the time to try stuff out really, leave that to pre season.
Same with the Utd semi, just after beating them comfortable at the very same stadium not long before.

I’ll ask again, because no one answers.

Does anyone think it’s massively unlikely Diego Simeone could have won the Carabou with this squad.

I’m not interested in answers about “it would be a different team if he was manager” that’s a cop out.
Do people truly believe this squad is not good enough to win an FA Cup?

I find it astonishing people take issue with Poch saying the 2 biggest competitions we are involved in are treated as the 2 biggest competitions we are involved in.

SpUrS aInT iN a PoSiTiOn To TuRn ThEiR nOsE uP aT tHe Fa CuP aNd LeAgUe CuP

Can't believe people are actually defending his comments. They're appalling & it looks like something Levy regurgitates daily to him.

Those cups aren't important yet they're monopolized by United, Woolwich, Chelski & City.....
You're ignoring the big middle step that enables these clubs to consistently compete for trophies. These clubs aren't prioritizing these cups, but the squads are deep enough and sometimes they get the luck of the draw and make it through unscathed.

If these cups were so important to these teams, Wegner, Conte and Van Gaal would all still be employed. I wonder why they aren't?

I find it astonishing people take issue with Poch saying the 2 biggest competitions we are involved in are treated as the 2 biggest competitions we are involved in.

For me it’s the disdain for anything else though and mugging off of trophies.

This man can pick up the phone and walk into any job in world football, yet he can’t do what Ramos did, even with the best spurs squad since the 80s

If he really wanted to win the FA Cup, we would have by now, because we’re good enough to while finishing top 4.

We’ve finished above teams winning the domestic cups regularly. People point to the last winners of the domestics, but overlook that we should be beating those teams in one off games, if we can beat them in the PL and amasse more points over a season.

Last edited:
For me, the 4-2 Chelsea semi defeat was just bizarre, considering just a month or so earlier we beat them 2-0 in a match many felt could have easily been 6-0.

But we get to the semi, use a different approach, stick Son at LB and don’t press.
Same with the Utd semi, just after beating them comfortable at the very same stadium not long before.

Does anyone think it’s massively unlikely Diego Simeone could have won the Carabou with this squad.

I’m not interested in answers about “it would be a different team if he was manager” that’s a cop out.
No it's not massively unlikely but then it's not massively unlikely that Poch could have won the cup with this squad had we won on penalty kicks against the chavs.

To make the comparison he would have to pick a team from the same injury list
Nah fuck it
It's a sliding doors question, impossible to make that decision because of the variables. Pochs teams are better to watch and closer to the club ethos.

To make the comparison he would have to pick a team from the same injury list
Nah fuck it
It's a sliding doors question, impossible to make that decision because of the variables. Pochs teams are better to watch and closer to the club ethos.

This season I’m not holding it against Poch although to pick Llorente after Fulham was just weird. He scored, but the first half at the Bridge was the worst performance I’ve seen from anyone at this club. He was dreadful and to leave our academy striker on the bench and stick with Llorente was a joke.

And then to do it AGAIN v Palace??
No words.

But if we go back 4 seasons, I’m fairly sure there are other managers who could have won a domestic cup with this squad.

Can’t prove it, but for me if the manager treats it with such disdain, then why should t our players. We can beat Real Madrid but not West Ham, and let Wycombe Wanderers stick three goals past us at home

I don't take issue with it, just disagree with it. And I'm not blaming him at all - it's the clear instruction he's been given and it is the nature of modern football.

I just would really love to see us win the FA cup. My favourite Spurs memory is still 'schoolboy's own stuff' when Gascoigne twated it into the top right. And I'm annoyed we whimpered out to fucking Palace.

But I fully understand why we played the team we did.

Your right , in key games Poch sometimes tries to be far too clever and no doubt a Simeone type will get us over the line more than not .
Realistically we will never attractive a Simeone type as they are serial winners . They will never come as they will be aware we have no transfer budget .The team will need major rebuilding in the next few years and they will feel it's an impossible task under Levy's prudent policy. The new stadium , training ground will mean nothing to them if you can not be competitive .

So Poch is as best at it gets , he has delivered top 4 . If he left Levy will get a up and coming Bournemouth type who will except our financial restrictions and it would be remarkable if he could achieve top 4 consistently .
Poch is the best we can expect , warts and all.

I believe there are certain managers now and in the past that just know how to win big cup games, semis, finals. They pick the right teams, deploy the right tactics to get the job done. Plus they firmly believe that those cup games and the competitions themselves are worth winning. Unfortunately Poch I don't beleive not one of them. It is what it is. He is solely focused on the PL. He wants to win the PL, I think he is obsessed about it and that ambition is why we are now a top 4 regular. I love the guy and can put up with not winning cups whilst we are still chasing the ultimate of PL glory.

I believe there are certain managers now and in the past that just know how to win big cup games, semis, finals. They pick the right teams, deploy the right tactics to get the job done. Plus they firmly believe that those cup games and the competitions themselves are worth winning. Unfortunately Poch I don't beleive not one of them. It is what it is. He is solely focused on the PL. He wants to win the PL, I think he is obsessed about it and that ambition is why we are now a top 4 regular. I love the guy and can put up with not winning cups whilst we are still chasing the ultimate of PL glory.
He's literally said as much. He doesn't care about the domestic cups.

Like it or not that is our managers way of seeing things.

Back
Top Bottom