Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I dont think for one second Poch should be sacked, but things do need to change.
Only in the last few years I have been confident not cocky when we play, as I thought we had the strongest squad in the premier league, but with Levy not willing to spend (other than on a stadium) which will just bring in more revenue as its bigger and is the only stadium take away Wembley that can other NFL (which according to new stats the up coming sport in the UK) how can we compete, it's hard to watch and spend the money I spend to watch a club not achieving what we should. I don't want to hear we finished top 4 with not spending like Woolwich and Chelski. I want to say we finished top 4 and won a domestic trophy by spending and spending right.

We sold Dembele (killed me as he was in my opinion the best defensive midfielder i have seen) for £9Mil - apparently GKN is going on loan sell him as he doesn't play Jansen sell him. We need to step up or be overshadowed as always.

Sorry the post is so long its my first post so excuse me

Welcome to the forum. Nice first post.

Anyone see Solskjaers comments regarding cups?

Aimed towards Poch?

The BBC think so.

Solskjaer's comments came after Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino said it was more important that his side was in the top four and subsequently playing in the Champions League than winning trophies.

"We've got the Champions League, we've got the FA Cup, we can't just say top four and that's it," added Solskjaer. "We've got to look at 'can we win something this year?' and I go into every single game as a Man United manager thinking we can win this game."

Manchester United: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says club are 'looking to win trophies'

The BBC think so.

Solskjaer's comments came after Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino said it was more important that his side was in the top four and subsequently playing in the Champions League than winning trophies.

"We've got the Champions League, we've got the FA Cup, we can't just say top four and that's it," added Solskjaer. "We've got to look at 'can we win something this year?' and I go into every single game as a Man United manager thinking we can win this game."

Says Solskjaer, the manager who has up to 9 players to choose from in central midfield.

They have a far bigger squad than us and if someone put it to him to choose either top 4 or the Carabao Cup, where do you think Solskjaer would see his chances improve in securing the job on a permanent basis?

Man U are different to Spurs, anyone comparing them as a club based on what we should be achieving and what they should are fucking idiots

We all want success, we just need to be patient until we have the muscle to do what the likes of Man U do, which is afford £50m players on their bench

Says Solskjaer, the manager who has up to 9 players to choose from in central midfield.

They have a far bigger squad than us and if someone put it to him to choose either top 4 or the Carabao Cup, where do you think Solskjaer would see his chances improve in securing the job on a permanent basis?

Man U are different to Spurs, anyone comparing them as a club based on what we should be achieving and what they should are fucking idiots

We all want success, we just need to be patient until we have the muscle to do what the likes of Man U do, which is afford £50m players on their bench

I agree with your post however, how much longer should we be prepared to be patient for the £50m players?

I agree with your post however, how much longer should we be prepared to be patient for the £50m players?

Until we can afford them mate. Manchester United are a huge club, to think we can match them pound for pound of the field at the moment is ludicrous which makes us surpassing them on the pitch such a great achievement.

Levy won't want to build a new stadium only to see it miss out on the glamour of the top tier of club football. We will have to stay within touching distance of the pack but withnthe 2nd biggest stadium in the country, in time we'll have the commercial revenue needed to ensure we aren't always falling back on extortionate TV money.

As a fan base we really can't expect the club to pull money out of thin t and foremost the security of the club needs to be intact as does any contingency plan should we hit a financial wall I.E. fail to quality for the Champions League for five seasons straight etc. We can't commit to such expenditure without it being guaranteed and the only guarantees we have for the time being is cash flow from the league. I back the club using the other funds in holding for a rainy day. To see them get greedy and blow it, only to see ourselves set back another 10 years would be gutting.

We need to be fair to the club, we need to support what they are doing and how they are trying to do it more

Pochettino clearly doesn't "mug off the cups", in 4.5 years we've been to one final and three semi-finals. Every single time losing to ManU or Chelsea - clubs with considerably more resources than us. And the further we progressed the stronger teams we put out.

But he quite rightly prioritises the League and the CL. Why? Because if we want to become a team like ManU and Chelsea, who can use superior resources to just edge semi finals and finals instead of being edged out of them, we need to prioritise tournaments that will help that medium/long term goal.

He doesn't "mug them off" he just does what every single team does, even the lower PL teams, and lower division teams, he tries to win every game whilst managing his resources as prudently as possible.

And, apart from anything else, the league is also the true measure of quality. Even if we take out the financial rewards (CL, revenues etc) the league is the toughest test of any team. 38 games, home and away in this league is the biggest test we face as a club. You can't just be lucky with the draw, like you can with cups. Yoive got to be good. You've got to work hard, be consistent, have a good ethos for 9 months, every week.

Even if the CL disappeared tomorrow, I'd still enjoy being a serious football team and finishing in the top 4 in this league than winning a cup that takes a handful of games, any day.

The BBC think so.

Say it loud Ole! Win that job!

The problem with Poch is he does throw the cups.

Look, you don't need to forgive the manager if you play a left back at left back and a penalty taker and the same mistakes still happen.

With Rose and Eriksen we win that game.

And if we play a left back and a penalty taker and don't win the game, and the tactics are sound, then it is on the players.

And then, if the players give everything and are fucked...

Then it is on Levy.

And then, if Levy gets great signings in...

Then it is on Joe Lewis or ENIC.

But until Poch actually sets up pragmatic tactically and defensively in a big title game then he will be the first to blame when we lose.

Don't give the fans bullshit about wanting to win and an excuse when we don't and say chance creation stats and aiming to fail is what you are happy with and the stadium is at fault.

You can guarantee if we needed a 0-0 against Chelsea or a win against Palace to secure top 4, Poch would stop fucking about with training tactics and get his best players in their best positions and get it over the line.

And if we didn't get it over the line, there would be nothing left. At the moment there are still question marks over formations and team selection, when we are going out of trophies and he says he wants to win them.

The day that stops happening is the day the players are not good enough and the club structure isn't good enough. I don't believe that as a fan until I see it.

And as a fan, when you do see it, you don't ever need to forgive the manager, but we do need to see it first.

What I am seeing first is square pegs in round holes and a shit defensive record with no actual excuse.

Our injuries aren't even in defence and we are playing players out of position.

It is the simpler part of the game to master and he did it better when he first came to the club.

Those are hard truths.

Seems like there are a lot of deluded fans in here that don't consider the domestic cups worth it.

You can't claim to be a big club and want key signings if you actually don't win anything. It's not an either or like many people are painting it out to be. We aren't Wigan or Portsmouth. We can afford to try and win it.

The reality is that when it comes down to the crunch, Poch has fucked up, and so he is making excuses when clearly time and again, he gets outwitted by the opposing manager or proposes some shit tactical plan. However, this poor me BS has affected the players' mindsets. But, a trophy is a trophy it means you've won something.

Getting Top 4 means you still are below 3 other teams. Getting to the R16 of the CL means you still are worse off than 8 other teams, if not 15. Hell, I don't watch to lose to Barcelona and pat myself on the back for trying. That's shit ambition and big players won't come for that kind of crap.

We can only peddle 1 story, but we are trying to peddle 2. It doesn't work. If you want to be a big club, act like one. Win things. Otherwise, don't lament at no one wanting to come and the best players leaving because you chose this idiotic hill to die upon.

And for the record, even though I'm firmly not in the John Thomas John Thomas or Ossie Wembley camp re general transfer policy and shit (I think Poch is heavily culpable in why we have struggled to sign people because we have no non HG space in our squad) but can we please (cough sammyspurs sammyspurs ) stop trying spin out Poch's "Be brave" bollocks?

I think it was a stupid thing to say. But he clearly didn't mean "be brave and spend no money". It's almost certain he meant be brave and spend money.

It was silly bollocks, because his piss poor recruitment is one of the reasons why why couldn't, but the stuff he's mumbled since about it meaning this and that "else" was clearly just him trying to style it out.

Seems like there are a lot of deluded fans in here that don't consider the domestic cups worth it.

You can't claim to be a big club and want key signings if you actually don't win anything. It's not an either or like many people are painting it out to be. We aren't Wigan or Portsmouth. We can afford to try and win it.

The reality is that when it comes down to the crunch, Poch has fucked up, and so he is making excuses when clearly time and again, he gets outwitted by the opposing manager or proposes some shit tactical plan. However, this poor me BS has affected the players' mindsets. But, a trophy is a trophy it means you've won something.

Getting Top 4 means you still are below 3 other teams. Getting to the R16 of the CL means you still are worse off than 8 other teams, if not 15. Hell, I don't watch to lose to Barcelona and pat myself on the back for trying. That's shit ambition and big players won't come for that kind of crap.

We can only peddle 1 story, but we are trying to peddle 2. It doesn't work. If you want to be a big club, act like one. Win things. Otherwise, don't lament at no one wanting to come and the best players leaving because you chose this idiotic hill to die upon.

Trophies clearly do mean something. Anyone saying they don't just are either lying to themselves or don't get it.

What matters more is top 4 these days, anyone who doesn't accept that doesn't understand the importance of it in today's football.

If offered one or the other at the start of the season, I'd still take top 4 and always will with what it offers us as a club for the future season and seasons ahead

And for the record, even though I'm firmly not in the John Thomas John Thomas or Ossie Wembley camp re general transfer policy and shit (I think Poch is heavily culpable in why we have struggled to sign people because we have no non HG space in our squad) but can we please (cough sammyspurs sammyspurs ) stop trying spin out Poch's "Be brave" bollocks?

I think it was a stupid thing to say. But he clearly didn't mean "be brave and spend no money". It's almost certain he meant be brave and spend money.

It was silly bollocks, because his piss poor recruitment is one of the reasons why why couldn't, but the stuff he's mumbled since about it meaning this and that "else" was clearly just him trying to style it out.

It’s funny that me simply quoting his words is a spin, but random interpretations are truth

Bit different to “trophies only feed egos”

Thankfully, Ole will get the gig though

I think top 4 at the start of this season on the basis that we spent nothing in the summer was a big ask, given it's pretty much 4 from 6 and that our rivals bolstered their squads.

Champions League has an element of being able to assess how far you might go once the groups are announced, so it was 50:50 between us and Inter. In that regard job just about done. Will we get into the lsst 8? Doubtful

The domestic cups are really odd. Supposedly dismissed but a chance for silverware and literally always come down to a shootout between the top 6.

This season we gave the league cup pretty much everything and got done by our cup nemesis. It is astounding how often it's them in one,-off games. No blame on Pochettino for me on that (hold on though)

FA Cup. I knew we would lose on Sunday. Well not knew. Thought it highly likely. This time Pochettino could have risked further injury to a depleted squad. Nobody would have thanked him had that happened.

Pochettino has talked some paradoxical nonsense this season and appears to be complicit in a decision that looks like we will have signed nobody for 18 months at least whilst seeing Dembele leave, knowing Alderweireld will leave and knowing Eriksen seems likely to move on as well. I find that amazing for a club of our size. Utterly amazing and it affects us in the cups.

So if we do get top 4 this season it will be an incredible feat but what are we building and where is Pochettino thinking we are heading are valid concerns because to me and others it just looks aimless and set with an unattainable bar.

Right now I am baffled by Pochettino. I really am and in the one-off key games, where it's just manager and team he is not yet top grade. No way.

Trophies do build ego but dont say it like it’s a bad thing! That is why Man Utd. we’re ruthless and champions for so many years under Ferguson or Chelsea under Mourinho (Round 1) - they had the ego of winners. I hated them for it but had to admire how they could be down and always turned it around. Let’s win some trophies and have a big ego.

Trophies do build ego but dont say it like it’s a bad thing! That is why Man Utd. we’re ruthless and champions for so many years under Ferguson or Chelsea under Mourinho (Round 1) - they had the ego of winners. I hated them for it but had to admire how they could be down and always turned it around. Let’s win some trophies and have a big ego.
I wouldn't read too much into pochs comments about cups and egos as i think he was obviously angry because the club had blown out of both competition's in such a short space of time.
I think he tried to play down fan anger and media frenzy as he knew the inevitable outcome would be that spurs always fail to deliver etc, but I don't think the fan's are as angry as he thinks because we are used to it by now so it's a case of move on until next season but meanwhile concentrate on the league which is our sole focus now.

Last edited:

Great post Mr Bus. Thanks for the tag.

We probably disagree on most stuff tbf. But at least we're civil and respect each others views.
And we also have conviction to actually believe in our views.

Unlike the joker you refer to who'll post any unconvincing bullshit to try and back himself out of a corner.

I wouldn't read too much into pochs comments about cups and egos as i think he was obviously because the club had blown out of both competition's in such a short space of time.
I think he tried to play down fan anger and media frenzy as he knew the inevitable outcome would be that spurs always fail to deliver etc, but I don't think the fan's are as angry as he thinks because we are used to it by now so it's a case of move on until next season but meanwhile concentrate on the league which is our sole focus now.

Maybe right and agree.

The most damning aspect of what you have written is the bit about being used to it as a Spurs fan. That is 100% correct.

Losing to Chelsea and Palace was not a surprise. In fact I think part of me fully expected it.

What does that tell you.

Back
Top Bottom