Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

"And if we believe that if we operate in the same way that we have operated in the last five years we are going to be every season in the final of the Champions League, and we are going to be every season in the top four and competing against projects like Liverpool or Manchester City or Manchester United, I think we are very naive.

Of course we are happy, yes but at the same time we need to sustain working hard to try to create a plan to develop in the next year, five years, I don't know, it's Daniel's decision, to be consistent and to create a realistic plan for the club and to match the expectations from you [the press] and from the people because if not, our destiny is to crash. It's not to be successful like today."

Bullseye.

God bless you Poch for grabbing the leverage while you have it.

The correct business proposition for the future financial health of Tottenham Hotspur is to push on and significantly invest, right stinking now. The iron was white hot 18 months ago, it's still glowing red.

I choose to believe, for the moment, that ENIC are going to get this right. Levy is too smart to fuck this up after all he's done right.

Poch is telling Levy that if we want sustained success we have to match the spending and ambition of Liverpool and City and he isn't wrong.

We cannot continue with our current transfer policy, it just isn't realistic to think it's a sustainable model for success.

The problem is, will Levy and ENIC want to completely change their policy? Because that's what it's going to take to even remain in the top four, let alone challenging for the title.

Considering Levy and ENIC have built this stadium and obviously want to continue to make a profit they would have to be incredibly stupid to...

A) Not trust and listen to the manager that has got us in this position in the first place

And

B) fail to realise that, if we don't spend we will not be able to sustain our success, therefore it will massively hurt the profits and attraction of this club.

Basically, Levy would be an idiot to not agree with Poch at this point, this club with the new stadium and everything we have built NEEDS regular CL qualification now and we NEED to start behaving like a world class club would behave and that means spending the money that a world class club would spend, sadly that's modern football for you, money talks.

Poch is telling Levy that if we want sustained success we have to match the spending and ambition of Liverpool and City and he isn't wrong.

I think he's saying something slightly more subtle than that.

He's saying that he wants to be a part of a project that has defined what it wants to be and what success looks like in a way that is open and transparent and achievable.

If Daniel Levy wants to cash in on a superstar per summer, hang around the top six, aggressively target the FA Cup, League Cup, and Europa League, and focus new player recruitment on academy graduates and bright young prospects elsewhere, and focus on being almost an Ajax-like club in an EPL context, and SAY THAT PUBLICLY, I think Poch would be willing to be a part of that project for the long term. I'm not sure that would sell 62k of the most expensive football tickets in the world, but Poch is in.

And obviously, he seems to be in for big investment to kick on to the next level as well.

What Poch is clearly uninterested in is watching his miracle team evaporate down the table due to disinvestment while the expectations that he personally created remain the same. And who can blame him?

The thing that's scrambling everyone's brains is the idea that it is not an iron law of nature that such a "crash" as Poch described it is coming, as sure as the sun will rise in the east tomorrow morning.

This WILL be a sixth place team, at best, SOON without major financial resources plunged into the squad, period. Lucas Moura was our best player on Wednesday, two of the next three were Christian Eriksen and Toby Alderweireld. Time's up.

I think he's saying something slightly more subtle than that.

He's saying that he wants to be a part of a project that has defined what it wants to be and what success looks like in a way that is open and transparent and achievable.

If Daniel Levy wants to cash in on a superstar per summer, hang around the top six, aggressively target the FA Cup, League Cup, and Europa League, and focus new player recruitment on academy graduates and bright young prospects elsewhere, and focus on being almost an Ajax-like club in an EPL context, and SAY THAT PUBLICLY, I think Poch would be willing to be a part of that project for the long term
. I'm not sure that would sell 62k of the most expensive football tickets in the world, but Poch is in.

And obviously, he seems to be in for big investment to kick on to the next level as well.

What Poch is clearly uninterested in is watching his miracle team evaporate down the table due to disinvestment while the expectations that he personally created remain the same. And who can blame him?

The thing that's scrambling everyone's brains is the idea that it is not an iron law of nature that such a "crash" as Poch described it is coming, as sure as the sun will rise in the east tomorrow morning.

This WILL be a sixth place team, at best, SOON without major financial resources plunged into the squad, period. Lucas Moura was our best player on Wednesday, two of the next three were Christian Eriksen and Toby Alderweireld. Time's up.

I will go as far to say that, without major investment in the summer, this will be a sixth placed team next season and I think Poch knows that, hence why he wants a clear plan going forward.

I disagree with you that he would be happy working under the model of the bolded part though.

Poch is clearly ambitious and if Levy isn't going to match that ambition I can't see him sticking around, he said the same about players the other day in his interview, he respects and wants to keep the players who want to move to different clubs because it's often these players that have the most ambition.

None of these players, or this manager, want to stagnate, the reason players like Eriksen and Toby probably haven't signed new contracts is because they are just as confused about the future as Poch is, they want a clear indication of where this club is going and what our aims are now we have the new stadium.

The CL final shouldn't just be a one off or a once in a lifetime run that we all remember, that's the very mentality that will hold us back.

We need to be aiming to achieve these sort of runs every single season and in order to do that, Levy needs to operate us like a club that is aiming to be 1st in every single competition.

People are acting as if its not normal to hash out a plan. Its totally normal. I will agree that Poch is being more assertive at present in pushing his hand, Frankly, he deserves to be on the front foot in negotiations with Levy this summer. There's no doom and gloom for goodness sake. We're CL finalists and Poch wants to have the tools for us to stay at that level if that is the expectation of the board. If its not the expectation, then he wants transparency - presumably for us, the fans, as well as himself, so he can decide if that's what he wants to do.

No one is a villain here. He and Levy are friends and i am confident something will be arrived at in the summer.

"If you want to expect the same from Liverpool, from Manchester City or Manchester United and Chelsea, and you put the same expectation on Tottenham, give me different tools to work.

I know very well how this business works," Pochettino said. "And we know we need to operate in a different way - that doesn't mean to spend more or less money."

He does talk in riddles sometimes- if its not about funding, what else could he be alluding to?

I don't know why some people are upset at that Poch interview. He is actually fighting for us fans and the future of this football club.

He is using all the tools at his current disposal to ensure he gets the investment we need to kick on. He even bloody mentions us when he is asking the club to be transparent.

The only thing that slightly worries me is why does he need to say this to the media? Has Daniel not been giving him the signals that he will get the investment we so badly need?

Either way this is not a "come get me" plea from Poch, his heart is definitely in the right place. I just hope Daniel see's that and acts accordingly.

"If you want to expect the same from Liverpool, from Manchester City or Manchester United and Chelsea, and you put the same expectation on Tottenham, give me different tools to work.

I know very well how this business works," Pochettino said. "And we know we need to operate in a different way - that doesn't mean to spend more or less money."

He does talk in riddles sometimes- if its not about funding, what else could he be alluding to?

It amazes me that some people think all these press releases are somehow "Poch v Levy" ... the two guys have just spent days together in Amsterdam, by there own admission they talk all the time ... does anyone think either of these two consummate professionals have not been discussing 'next steps' for months, if not years.

Poch is part of the fabric at our club, he's been influential in the training ground, the stadium, the involvement of the ex-players (Poch is a big fan of this) even down to the releasing of players for community engagements. Poch is involved at all levels.

Levy and Poch see their relationship going on for years ... Poch's statements, as he endlessly tells us, are his way of keeping the fans informed on what is going on, he's a massive believer in open management, feck he is a fan. That doesn't mean that if Levy doesn't back him he won't go, but that ain't happening. Levy backed him last summer, Poch just didn't want what was available.

The old five year plan has ended (albeit a year early) the new five year plan is about to begin ... anyone who thinks this plan is not already well established and that Poch and Levy are going to knock one up first week in June, well you have no idea how our club is run. Scouts, agents, our 'network' have been working for months on lining up the right deals, honestly it all doesn't happen over six weeks in the summer, that's just the visible evidence off all the hard work already done. Are these deals what Poch wants? only time will tell ...

Last edited:
It amazes me that some people think all these press releases are somehow "Poch v Levy" ... the two guys have just spent days together in Amsterdam, by there own admission they talk all the time ... does anyone think either of these two consummate professionals have not been discussing 'next steps' for months, if not years.

Poch is part of the fabric at our club, he's been influential in the training ground, the stadium, the involvement of the ex-players (Poch is a big fan of this) even down to the releasing of players for community engagements. Poch is involved at all levels.

Levy and Poch see their relationship going on for years ... Poch's statements, as he endlessly tells us, are his way of keeping the fans informed on what is going on, he's a massive believer in open management, feck he is a fan. That doesn't mean that if Levy doesn't back him he won't go, but that ain't happening. Levy backed him last summer, Poch just didn't want what was available.

The old five year plan has ended (albeit a year early) the new five year plan is about to begin ... anyone who thinks this plan is not already well established and that Poch and Levy are going to knock one up first week in June, well you have no idea how our club is run. Scouts, agents, our 'network' have been working for months on lining up the right deals, honestly it all doesn't happen over six weeks in the summer, that's just the visible evidence off all the hard work already done. Are these deals are what Poch wants? only time will tell ...

Agree. I find the whole story so frustrating how people can misinterpret what he is saying.

Its simple really.

5053.jpg

Inject me....

Or Son. I don't think Firminho is fast is he? Shaqiri is probably quick over 10yrds, anything over 20yrds must be like a marathon, he can't press for shit, it's why he doesn't play that often.

So, that's Son & Lucas vs Salad and Mane. In any event only really useful when playing on the counter, so a handful of games each per season.

Exactly. Burnley & co. don't give a fuck if you've got pace.

We certainly are. But we're not, generally a lightning counterattack team. And weren't really even earlier in Poch's reign.

The thing we were so devastating with at our peak was immediately squeezing the opponent upon losing the ball in the final third and having them give it right back to us. The opponent would play what looked to be a counterattacking out ball, but nope, Toby or Dembele would be right there to swipe it and Spurs would be right back at them. Awareness, good tactical setup, and a bunch of guys that could really, really tackle.

That's still what I look for when watching us play, every time we're able to do that a couple of times in a row, that's when we're really starting to tighten the noose.

When we play specifically to do so (see vs BVB last season, RM etc.); we're dynamic as fuck whether we are stacked with 'pure pace'(tm) or not....

So Missio Mauricio Pochettinho again in the news, same old same old.
I have got a feeling Poch will resign straight after the CL final regardless of the result. Tempted to bet on it even though I’m not a betting man and more importantly I hope I’m wrong.

Back
Top Bottom