Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch: I don’t need to buy
daily-express-1.jpg

Constantly changing his position.

A real weakness in my opinion.
Just imagine if he came out and said, "January is going to be a massive opportunity for us to buy players because I don't trust those that are in the squad now".

Just imagine if he came out and said, "January is going to be a massive opportunity for us to buy players because I don't trust those that are in the squad now".

He doesn't have to say that, he could say "January is an ideal time to strengthen, we already have fantastic players here that I truly believe in but competition for places is important in football and I believe that having strength in depth is a good thing"

He won't say that though because, like I said yesterday, Levy said during the board to board meeting the entire reason we didn't sign more players is because we couldn't move other players on.

In other words, sell to buy, Poch has likely been told it's unlikely we will move players on in January or Poch doesn't even feel comfortable with that idea because it will take a while for any new signings to hit the ground running, hence why he is saying we will not be signing anymore.

Either that or he's just talking bollocks and playing politics with Levy, either or is possible.

Because if he genuinely believes we don't need signings he is delusional beyond measure, RB alone will tell you all you need to know about why we need some signings.

He doesn't have to say that, he could say "January is an ideal time to strengthen, we already have fantastic players here that I truly believe in but competition for places is important in football and I believe that having strength in depth is a good thing"

He won't say that though because, like I said yesterday, Levy said during the board to board meeting the entire reason we didn't sign more players is because we couldn't move other players on.

In other words, sell to buy, Poch has likely been told it's unlikely we will move players on in January or Poch doesn't even feel comfortable with that idea because it will take a while for any new signings to hit the ground running, hence why he is saying we will not be signing anymore.

Either that or he's just talking bollocks and playing politics with Levy, either or is possible.

Because if he genuinely believes we don't need signings he is delusional beyond measure, RB alone will tell you all you need to know about why we need some signings.
Well yeah. We need to shift players, we've failed miserably at selling players this is abundantly clear.

So he still has to work with those players that a) want to leave b) we want to leave c) players that want to leave but don't want to go to Watford (whoever). So the message is the same no matter what, he has to still work with those players, this isn't a case of one player like Adebyour or Townsend, it's a number of players that without replacements he has to play them or (one or two on rotation), you can't bin all of them off.

Also, you don't tell the world what your future recruitment strategy is, what advantage can be gained from doing that. Woolwich brilliantly spun the line that they only had £40m to spend last summer, whilst everyone was raging or laughing with glee they went onto spunk £120m.

With respect, why should he say what you want him to say? Nothing he could say would placate his detractors anyway. I could also write a post saying “why doesn’t he say x, y or z”. Let’s be honest, if we were top of the league he could shit in a bucket at press conferences and he’d get a pass from the fanbase.

Nobody really cares what he says - it’s only now being used to malign him. It’s results people are interested in and in that regard he’s been found wanting. Do you think you could remember what you said 3 weeks previously to yet another microphone stuck in your face? Many of the people on here who moan about what he says contradict themselves on a week to week basis - and they don’t have to manage a multi-million pound football team. SAF used to talk all sorts of bollocks to journalists as you probably know. So moan about the job he’s currently doing - not what he says to a few press hyenas.

Last edited:
Well yeah. We need to shift players, we've failed miserably at selling players this is abundantly clear.

So he still has to work with those players that a) want to leave b) we want to leave c) players that want to leave but don't want to go to Watford (whoever). So the message is the same no matter what, he has to still work with those players, this isn't a case of one player like Adebyour or Townsend, it's a number of players that without replacements he has to play them or (one or two on rotation), you can't bin all of them off.

Also, you don't tell the world what your future recruitment strategy is, what advantage can be gained from doing that. Woolwich brilliantly spun the line that they only had £40m to spend last summer, whilst everyone was raging or laughing with glee they went onto spunk £120m.

I agree, we do need to shift players, the ones that don't want to be here or who aren't at the required level, my issue is selling players that do want to be here and who are at the required level.

That being said, I can't think of many sitting in the latter catagory currently, all of the players I would have said that about before (Toby, Eriksen) have all been utterly shit this season and clearly don't want to be here so I don't think it would be a huge loss replacing them tbh.

We are failing at selling players, that much is clear and the blame is on Levy for that, anybody denying it has the blinkers on, he has either been asking too much for players or isn't capable of finding a club that wants them, either way, these players should have been out of the squad at this point because it's clear they are harming the team rather than contributing to it.

I agree, he can't bin them all off but part of me wonders, especially given our current form, wouldn't it be better to give players like Skipp a start? Going back to youth (which is what Poch is supposed to be the master of, bringing youth through the ranks) we aren't seeing any of that, what we are seeing is a persistance with the same players putting in shit performances week in week out, even Wanyama ffs, I couldn't believe what I was seeing when he played him, utterly bonkers behaviour imo.

I understand we can't sit here and tell everyone what our recruitment strategy is but wouldn't it be wiser for Poch to just, not say anything? The press always want a soundbite but he could just say nothing to them about transfers, surely that would be a smarter strategy rather than contradicting himself on a weekly basis?

With respect, why should he say what you want him to say? Nothing he could say would placate his detractors anyway. I could also write a post saying “why doesn’t he say x, y or z”. Let’s be honest, if we were top of the league he could shit in a bucket at press conferences and he’d get a pass from the fanbase.

Nobody really cares what he says - it’s only now being used to malign him. It’s results people are interested in and in that regard he’s been found wanting. Do you think you could remember what you said 3 weeks previously to yet another microphone stuck in your face? Many of the people on here who moan about what he says contradict themselves on a week to week basis - and they don’t have to manage a multi-million pound football team. SAF used to talk all sorts of bollocks to journalists as you probably know. So moan about the job he’s currently doing - not what he says to a few press hyenas.

I completely respect what you are saying mate, he doesn't have to say anything and I have no idea what it's like dealing with the press on a weekly basis but I do get the impression that over the last 12 months Poch has tried some Mourinho tactics with the press, the talking up of the Madrid job, saying he will leave if we win the CL, flip flopping on if we need signings etc, the message isn't clear and when results are going bad he makes it seem like the club doesn't have a clear plan which just puts more pressure on everything.

And I do agree, we should be focused on the job he is currently doing, which is bad as far as I am concerned, I honestly don't know how he is still manager after results since last January, especially when we have a chairman that has fired managers for much less, maybe the CL run and our constant CL qualification has earned him some time in the eyes of the chairman and supporters but if our form continues like this then surely it's only a matter of time?

I completely respect what you are saying mate, he doesn't have to say anything and I have no idea what it's like dealing with the press on a weekly basis but I do get the impression that over the last 12 months Poch has tried some Mourinho tactics with the press, the talking up of the Madrid job, saying he will leave if we win the CL, flip flopping on if we need signings etc, the message isn't clear and when results are going bad he makes it seem like the club doesn't have a clear plan which just puts more pressure on everything.

And I do agree, we should be focused on the job he is currently doing, which is bad as far as I am concerned, I honestly don't know how he is still manager after results since last January, especially when we have a chairman that has fired managers for much less, maybe the CL run and our constant CL qualification has earned him some time in the eyes of the chairman and supporters but if our form continues like this then surely it's only a matter of time?

Yes, he’s earned time. I’m just disappointed that hasn’t been acknowledged by many of our supporters. We seem to have become very needy. You say “maybe the CL run and constant CL qualification” like it’s not unusual. Well it’s unprecedented - we’ve just become jaded. It happens I know, but it’s never happened to us before. It’s all a bit sad tbh. We’re no different to anyone else these days.

Unless we get the brass ring, it seems it’s all for nothing.

Yes, he’s earned time. I’m just disappointed that hasn’t been acknowledged by many of our supporters. We seem to have become very needy. You say “maybe the CL run and constant CL qualification” like it’s not unusual. Well it’s unprecedented - we’ve just become jaded. It happens I know, but it’s never happened to us before. It’s all a bit sad tbh. We’re no different to anyone else these days.

Unless we get the brass ring, it seems it’s all for nothing.

Or "All or nothing" which is the title of our Amazon documentary, coming soon to Amazon prime! (lol.)

I wonder what they mean by "All or nothing" is "all" qualifying for the top 4 and anything below that considered "nothing" now? Playing carrier bag FC in the Europa is the "nothing" now?

The thing is, the supporters don't set the expectations, the club does, we pay the highest ticket prices, we are constant CL qualifiers, the reality is the expectations have moved upwards and rightly so, we aren't "plucky Tottenham" who have never qualified for the CL anymore mate.

I don't think the issue here is that supporters have become needy, I think the issue is that some of our supporters still feel like this is some sort of miracle because of our past and the fact that this, in terms of the history of the club, is probably one of the best periods ever to be a spurs fan.

That's true, I am not denying that this is (in my lifetime at least) the best period to be a spurs fan but we need to let go of this idea that we are lucky to be here or that we should be "careful what we wish for" we have a billion pound stadium, world class facilities, a team full of international level players who have been to a CL final and some who have won a world cup, we have the best striker in the world imo, we should be demanding more and if we aren't moving forward then it simply isn't good enough.

The expectations have been raised because the truth is, this isn't the same club it was under Redknapp or even AVB, or at least that's what our owners want us to believe, so I don't think it's being needy or people being jaded, I think it's that people just expect more and want more because that's the message the club is delivering both directly and indirectly and I don't see an issue with that, the mentality of some of the supporters needs to shift away from "old Tottenham" because it just isn't the same anymore, finishing 4th isn't something to be celebrated now, frankly, it should have never been but the truth is back then, we didn't have much else to celebrate let's face it.

I agree, we do need to shift players, the ones that don't want to be here or who aren't at the required level, my issue is selling players that do want to be here and who are at the required level.

That being said, I can't think of many sitting in the latter catagory currently, all of the players I would have said that about before (Toby, Eriksen) have all been utterly shit this season and clearly don't want to be here so I don't think it would be a huge loss replacing them tbh.

We are failing at selling players, that much is clear and the blame is on Levy for that, anybody denying it has the blinkers on, he has either been asking too much for players or isn't capable of finding a club that wants them, either way, these players should have been out of the squad at this point because it's clear they are harming the team rather than contributing to it.

I agree, he can't bin them all off but part of me wonders, especially given our current form, wouldn't it be better to give players like Skipp a start? Going back to youth (which is what Poch is supposed to be the master of, bringing youth through the ranks) we aren't seeing any of that, what we are seeing is a persistance with the same players putting in shit performances week in week out, even Wanyama ffs, I couldn't believe what I was seeing when he played him, utterly bonkers behaviour imo.

I understand we can't sit here and tell everyone what our recruitment strategy is but wouldn't it be wiser for Poch to just, not say anything? The press always want a soundbite but he could just say nothing to them about transfers, surely that would be a smarter strategy rather than contradicting himself on a weekly basis?
It's not all on Levy though, Rose was by all accounts sold to Watford but Rose didn't want to go there. Wanyama was sold to Brugge but he didn't want to go. You can't force a player to leave, he weighs up his options and decides to what's best for him, not what's best for the club. Is Watford a better Club than Spurs? If the answer is no then you can see why Rose is still here. Same with Wanyama.

You can force one player out by freezing them out of your plans, we did this with Jansen but you can't do this with 6 players it simply doesn't work that way, not for us not for Real Madrid, Barca or City. No team can freeze out so many players in an effort to move them on. The only caveat to this would apply to a player that hasn't establish himself and there option is to loan them out, but no way are Toby, Rose, Vertonghen, Wanyama & Sissoko going on loan. They are all on contracts that they chose to see out, the power is always with the player, something that we have by and large managed to mitigate the balance better than most clubs.

We absolutely can do better at selling players, Baldini proved this when he was at the Club, again I can't go in two-footed screaming and shouting given the fact we've just completed the largest building project in Europe, were we not committed to this I'm sure with a dedicated focus we would have been able to shift the majority if not all of these players.

I have already said my only cause for concern with Poch has been why he hasn't played or utilized KWP, Skipp etc. I loved what he did when the shift in the team moved towards betting on Kane, Mason & Bentaleb and ditching Ade, Capoue etc... But to flip the coin Toby & Alderwiereld hadn't underperformed if anything Vertonghen got better and has been faultless for the past two seasons (easily one of our best players in this time).

But known of this has anything to do with what you were winging about in Poch's last presser. The players that are earmarked to leave for whatever reasons and motivations are all still here, this means he has to work with them, he can't sack all of them off. He absolutely can't do what he did to Jansen, Townsend or Ade. He's literally stuck with them and has to work with them for as long as he has them.

Or "All or nothing" which is the title of our Amazon documentary, coming soon to Amazon prime! (lol.)

I wonder what they mean by "All or nothing" is "all" qualifying for the top 4 and anything below that considered "nothing" now? Playing carrier bag FC in the Europa is the "nothing" now?

The thing is, the supporters don't set the expectations, the club does, we pay the highest ticket prices, we are constant CL qualifiers, the reality is the expectations have moved upwards and rightly so, we aren't "plucky Tottenham" who have never qualified for the CL anymore mate.

I don't think the issue here is that supporters have become needy, I think the issue is that some of our supporters still feel like this is some sort of miracle because of our past and the fact that this, in terms of the history of the club, is probably one of the best periods ever to be a spurs fan.

That's true, I am not denying that this is (in my lifetime at least) the best period to be a spurs fan but we need to let go of this idea that we are lucky to be here or that we should be "careful what we wish for" we have a billion pound stadium, world class facilities, a team full of international level players who have been to a CL final and some who have won a world cup, we have the best striker in the world imo, we should be demanding more and if we aren't moving forward then it simply isn't good enough.

The expectations have been raised because the truth is, this isn't the same club it was under Redknapp or even AVB, or at least that's what our owners want us to believe, so I don't think it's being needy or people being jaded, I think it's that people just expect more and want more because that's the message the club is delivering both directly and indirectly and I don't see an issue with that, the mentality of some of the supporters needs to shift away from "old Tottenham" because it just isn't the same anymore, finishing 4th isn't something to be celebrated now, frankly, it should have never been but the truth is back then, we didn't have much else to celebrate let's face it.

There will always be teams with more money than us. People can expect what they like, but those expectations should be tempered with a touch of reality and I think finishing 4th or higher with the 6th largest income is an achievement in this ghastly modern football landscape. You seem to think we should be top 4 regulars? - I honestly don’t. What about CFC, woolwich, Utd? All Sky top 4 teams of the past. They’re not going to go away.

I see us dropping out of the top 4 with or without Poch. I don’t think our squad is as good as some people say, and the discussion seems to be do we trust Poch to oversee the rebuilding of the squad or someone else? I think he should (be given the opportunity) - you think not - and that’s fair enough, but this poring over everything he’s says as a stick to beat him with is just overkill. He’s answering loaded questions in his 3rd language. Give the guy a break on that score. Honestly, we’ve got people like sammyspurs sammyspurs saying he won’t watch tomorrow if Poch is still here. That’s not normal. He says “who do you support? The team or the manager?” Well, quite

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom