Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And in Poch’s defence, he’s clearly a very loyal fellow. He will defend ‘his’ players to his last breath. The problem is, as you say, he has no ability to trust or integrate anyone outside that core group.

I honestly think Moura sums up the problems with Poch. I’m not pretending Moura is perfect - his first touch can be poor and maybe he didn’t track back enough initially - but he could be SUCH an asset if used properly. We could build a Plan B or C around him, and he would flourish.

But Poch can’t do that. He’s not flexible enough. Real pity.
Agree, can't see him putting up with it much longer. Transfer request must be in his mind as he obviously doesn't fit into Poch's long term plans. Shame.

You saying that n'dombele couldn't play due to hit fitness and strengths. I'm saying whilst you make a fair point the two players I mentioned are in the worst form of their lives and one is fucking off soon so playing n'dombele than either couldn't have been much worse.

For what it's worth I would have played the same team as Wednesday except dier for dele with n'dombele going forward. Why change a team that's finally hit some form? But that's by the by. Anyone defending the team selection won't convince me because even if the starting 11 was fair game eriksen especially was so bad it's an absolute disgrace he got 80 minutes.
As I said in a previous post if Dier gets selected to play his normal possition there is an absolute meltdown. I don't want to cast aspersions towards you on this but in the general sense, take a step back and think about how the Spurs fanbase would have reacted to say Dier's selection.

If it was aggression and energy you are after then that would be Lamela but he got injured yesterday, when fit Poch picks Lamela.

We got narrower and narrower. Consequently Roberston had the keys to our right side, and great as Sonny is going forward he’s poor off the ball allowing TAA to receive pass after pass from their midfield. That’s what I saw anyway.
Yes, me too but why? We didn't do this in the first 20-25mins, in fact, we were excellent, they didn't have a single effort. All the crosses during this time were from way out and as a consequence, we dealt with them. We were also about to 10-15m higher up the pitch and we were winning tackles in Midfield.

What changed, why did Son/Dele & Eriksen/Sissoko get narrow? What caused this? Was it us or was it something Liverpool did? Its this I can't see what happened.

Yes, me too but why? We didn't do this in the first 20-25mins, in fact, we were excellent, they didn't have a single effort. All the crosses during this time were from way out and as a consequence, we dealt with them. We were also about to 10-15m higher up the pitch and we were winning tackles in Midfield.

What changed, why did Son/Dele & Eriksen/Sissoko get narrow? What caused this? Was it us or was it something Liverpool did? Its this I can't see what happened.
Well they started to play through the middle (well not quite the middle, but they were cutting the ball back to 10-15 yards outside of our box and then tying to play through) Do you remember? Some of that one touch stuff they did on the edge of the box? It’s natural that stuff will drag players more central. Maybe it was a time for leadership on the pitch or from the dugout?

Last edited:
As I said in a previous post if Dier gets selected to play his normal possition there is an absolute meltdown.

Really? I'd have gladly seen Sissoko and Dier in front of a back four. Ndombele CM, with Kane, Son and Moura ahead. We could have easily maintained our defensive line that way.

Don't get me wrong, Dier has the turning circle of an artic super freighter, but he positions himself well and is a better footballer than Winks (imo).

Well they started to play through the middle causing problems just outside of our box. Do you remember? Some of that one touch stuff they did on the edge of the box? It’s natural that stuff will drag players more central. Maybe it was a time for leadership on the pitch or from the dugout?
They are the best side, or the 2nd best side (I think City are better) in the World right now mate. They haven't lost a game at their gaff in two years. We are not playing well right now there will be times we were going to get outplayed.

I'm just trying to identify what was the cause from the first 20'ish mins to the 2nd 20i'sh mins of the first half. It wasn't a subtle change, the dynamic swung quite quickly. I don't get for instance why Son/Dele & Eriksen/Sissoko stopped being effective to not being effective. What caused them to narrow up?

We had 4 big chances to win or draw this game. LFC were the better team, but what's new here? They are one of the best two teams in the world and we're not. We've got 20 polls open on here all demanding someone out to prove the point, so what were people expecting? Us to win?

I thought despite our differences of where the teams are at right now I thought there were several periods of that game where we were in control (there were several periods where we weren't).

I'm just trying to identify what was the cause from the first 20'ish mins to the 2nd 20i'sh mins of the first half.
And I’m trying to explain it from my position. Once we stopped contesting the flanks we were always in for a hard afternoon. Come on, everyone knows how they play. We had to stop their full backs getting forward to the extent they did.

Really? I'd have gladly seen Sissoko and Dier in front of a back four. Ndombele CM, with Kane, Son and Moura ahead. We could have easily maintained our defensive line that way.

Don't get me wrong, Dier has the turning circle of an artic super freighter, but he positions himself well and is a better footballer than Winks (imo).
Maybe not you personally mate but seriously, Dier has been on the sharpend of most of the negative player comments for the past two seasons now. Then, following some poor results he's all of a suddern the answer, gets picked and has a poor game and gets slated allover again.

We did, on the whole, maintain our defensive line today. We lost our way in midfield again but as I said in a previous post it's hard to see exactly what the trigger for this was, as we were playing well for a period.

Last edited:
We got narrower and narrower. Consequently Roberston had the keys to our right side, and great as Sonny is going forward he’s poor off the ball allowing TAA to receive pass after pass from their midfield. That’s what I saw anyway.
JK changed his midfield so that Eriksen and Son who had been blocking the passing lanes to the full backs were pulled inside and more narrow to stop straight balls in front of our defence. This allowed their fullbacks to push. To great effect. We didn't change tactics. Well, a bit in the second half but the passing threat of NDombele was as effective as any tactical change and made them sit back a bit more.

They aren't all that apart from a relentless machine with outstanding attacking threat. We basically nullified the front 3 in the first 30 mins (no mean feat) and asked their midfield to be creative. They are not. JK pushed Firminho further back to pull in our two wide players and their FB took over control in the middle third. And they have good FBs.

First goal was a schoolboy overload that wasn't tracked. Second, well, just a sneaky merc fuck who is as good as anyone at sniffing out goals when they don't exist.

Last edited:
And I’m trying to explain it from my position. Once we stopped contesting the flanks we were always in for a hard afternoon. Come on, everyone knows how they play. We had to stop their full backs getting forward to the extent they did.
and I'm saying I 100% agree with this. We did exactly that for the first 20mins, they didn't create a single thing, Eriksen/Sissoko and Dele/Son stopped them and our Midfield were winning tackles.

I'm asking the question of what changed? I can't identify how we went from dealing with it to not.

god bless moussa sissoko who a) ruthlessly gets the ball back after Winks or Eriksen does a bad pass, and b) ran forward with the ball past Liverpool players at least three times off the top of my head.

Sissoko and Lamela are virtually the same player in my books (bustling, useful, but ultimately will never take a decent shot) but we could have used both of them instead of Winks and Eriksen.

Ndombele has a weird sort of Charlie Chaplin way of dealing with defenders, but he looked lively. Lively and about 4 McDonalds hamburgers larger than where he needs to be.But he’s clever as fuck, I like what I’ve seen.

and I'm saying I 100% agree with this. We did exactly that for the first 20mins, they didn't create a single thing, Eriksen/Sissoko and Dele/Son stopped them and our Midfield were winning tackles.

I'm asking the question of what changed? I can't identify how we went from dealing with it to not.
I thought I’d (tried to) answer that. They started to look dangerous on the edge of our box and our players drifted in to try and negate this. They then exploited the space that left. Also, whilst I could see that going long to Kane might put us in business the ball mostly came back at us with interest as we were (by now) playing so deep.

The sooner he allows his starting XI to develop around Davies, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Son & Kane week in, week out the sooner we allow the team to find a genuine groove long term.

Sadly our whole back four is completely shot. We probably have to start slowly integrating Sanchez and Foyth slowly alongside one of either Toby or Jan and personally I'd rotate Sissoko and Winks based on who and what we need at the time.

We need to stop fucking about with needless rotation! We won 5-0 on tuesday, we didn't play until Sunday why do we need so much rotation yet you hardly see Liverpool do so when they have midweek games. You can guarantee it'll be the same full backs, same CM, always the same three up top I can't see how we need to rotate when finally we have a team that got a confidence building win only a few days ago.

Poch is too stuck in his ways, favours the old guard too much when all the old guard has given us is shit result after shit result. Lo Celso isn't fit to start 90 minutes so he only gets 2 minutes at the end? What a load of bollocks. Poch has gone stale he freshens his head up or he needs to go.

Last edited:
The sooner he allows his starting XI to develop around Davies, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Son & Kane week in, week out the sooner we allow the team to find a genuine groove long term.

Sadly our whole back four is completely shot. We probably have to start slowly integrating Sanchez and Foyth slowly alongside one of either Toby or Jan and personally I'd roseate Sissoko and Winks based on who and what we need at the time.

We need to stop fucking about with needless rotation! We won 5-0 on tuesday, we didn't play until Sunday why do we need so much rotation yet you hardly see Liverpool do so when they have midweek games. You can guarantee it'll be the same full backs, same CM, always the same three up top I can't see how we need to rotate when finally we have a team that got a confidence building win only a few days ago.

Poch is too stuck in his ways, favours the old guard too much when all the old guard has given us is shit result after shit result. Lo Celso isn't fit to start 90 minutes so he only gets 2 minutes at the end? What a load of bollocks. Poch has gone stale even he freshens his head up or he needs to go.

He won't change mate let's face it, he never has, we have the worst away form out of any team in the league since January, abysmal.

His insistence on sticking with the same strategy that has been failing for over half a year now is beyond madness, it's purely ego driven and frankly if he had any respect for this club he would walk away right now but be won't because I imagine, just like some of his players, he himself is wanting his payday as well.

Personally it's beyond the results at this point, the man himself is pissing me off because to me it seems he never takes the blame for poor results, there is always excuses, he gets offended when people question his tactics or selections, everyone else can see what's going wrong but him.

The fact is, like you said, we had a perfectly good team during the week, it was against a bunch of farmers but still, the best way to build confidence is continue with the team that won that game, consistency is key and showing players they can earn their place but Poch seems more interested in stroking his own ego and sticking a finger up to his critics than doing what's best for the club at this point.

He won't change mate let's face it, he never has, we have the worst away form out of any team in the league since January, abysmal.

His insistence on sticking with the same strategy that has been failing for over half a year now is beyond madness, it's purely ego driven and frankly if he had any respect for this club he would walk away right now but be won't because I imagine, just like some of his players, he himself is wanting his payday as well.

Personally it's beyond the results at this point, the man himself is pissing me off because to me it seems he never takes the blame for poor results, there is always excuses, he gets offended when people question his tactics or selections, everyone else can see what's going wrong but him.

The fact is, like you said, we had a perfectly good team during the week, it was against a bunch of farmers but still, the best way to build confidence is continue with the team that won that game, consistency is key and showing players they can earn their place but Poch seems more interested in stroking his own ego and sticking a finger up to his critics than doing what's best for the club at this point.
What does Jesus think I wonder? Both literally and figuratively. Someone has to tell him.

It'll be hilarious when he goes to Real Madrid and adopts the same attitude when the media question him after an inevitable run of poor performances.

He'll be out of a job pretty fucking quickly and wishing for another shot with Southampton.

He's obviously not the manager the media hyped him up to be. His flaws are there for all to see and he seems to have developed a massive ego to boot. Mourinho could pull it off because he won everything there is to win. It doesn't hold the same weight when the biggest trophy you've won is the Audi Cup.

I thought Poch rotated the team because we are playing cl match on Wednesday and just checked the fixture list and realised is not the case. Should have started the same team as Tuesday.
Liverpool played away game on Wednesday a day later, how many players were rotated?

He basically said in the pre-match that it was the need to rotate because of fixtures and the international games. Some players needed the rest.

I need a rest from your bullshit Poch.

Back
Top Bottom