Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sorry, mate you are absolutely confusing the two.

For clarity: Tell me what our Philosophy is/was under Poch?

"WINNING" is NOT a philosophy.

For clarity: Tell me what Jose's philosophy is (this need not be anything related to Tottenham) but over his career.

The philosophy under Pochettino was clear, high pressing high energy attacking football, irrespective of the formation or personal he had, that's why towards the end it fell apart because he failed to adapt, he rigidly stuck with his philosophy despite it no longer working.

Now the players are getting a break in training and are no longer being forced to stick rigidly to that philosophy results have improved.

I said I would prefer a philosophy that has been proven to win more over one that has failed.

Mourinho doesn't really have a philosophy per say, his philosophy has always been adaptable other than one principle which is discipline.

The underlying principle of his philosophy is to be hard to beat and win games at all costs.

He doesn't prioritise entertainment or attacking football and nor should he, he doesn't even prioritise defensive football despite claims otherwise, he prioritises discipline.

If I could summarise his philosophy it would be that he approaches every game with an adaptable philosophy but the one thing that is inflexible is that he wants discipline at the core of everything.

And this has been proven, time and time again, to be something that wins trophies.

Oh come on mate, the fans are inflexible? I am not being funny but when the most inept and clueless of fans can see that something is wrong with the way Poch was approaching games but he continued to persist with it then it's obvious something is very wrong.

You have quotes from the man himself saying that this team is only capable of playing one way (which has been completely proven untrue the last two games) he has had this philosophy of playing at every club he has been at and at every club it has ended the same way, a huge peak then a dip at the end, it's because Poch was tactically inflexible and lacked the courage to change a game early on if things were going wrong.

I don't know if that's ego or just absolute inability to change (I think it's probably the former) also, I know you want us playing free flowing football and agree with identities but good managers adapt, they may have an overall philosophy but when they need to they deviate from it to win games, Poch didn't deviate, that was the issue, hence why we were predictable.

All I am saying is, managers like Mourinho know how to change games and deviate from their philosophy sometimes in order to win, I didn't see much evidence of that under Poch, no matter what team we played, what personal we had or formation we used our approach was the same and the underlying philosophy always took prescident.

Personally the only identity I want us to have as a club is winning, I don't care how we do it, I know that goes against the traditions of the club but the reality is whilst we have been known to play attacking football that's attractive on the eye, we are also known for always failing at the final hurdle and that rigidness of sticking to that attacking philosophy has been the cause of it imo.

You can't demand attacking football all the time, sometimes you have to win ugly.
You've cunted me off a few times now buddy, but have to concede that I agree with almost everything you said. Although I will not concede on my opinion of Maureen I'm big enough to admit I've been a bit rose-tinted spectacles with Poch and this post has gone some way to pointing out my short comings. I will never change my opinion of Mourinho, we may very well win one thing or another with him but my overriding loyalty is to Spurs and I think he's gonna fuck things up royally. A narcissist will never change..trust me I know.

You've cunted me off a few times now buddy, but have to concede that I agree with almost everything you said. Although I will not concede on my opinion of Maureen I'm big enough to admit I've been a bit rose-tinted spectacles with Poch and this post has gone some way to pointing out my short comings. I will never change my opinion of Mourinho, we may very well win one thing or another with him but my overriding loyalty is to Spurs and I think he's gonna fuck things up royally. A narcissist will never change..trust me I know.

You have massively gained my respect with this post mate, not because you agree with me, that's irrelevant but just the fact that you have been honest and not just defended your position out of bias shows you're worth debating with.

I disagree with you on Mourinho but I am not going to say that I know for sure it will not end badly, that remains to be seen, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt at this juncture.

My only loyalty is to the club, if he can win us some trophies and shake the "bridesmaids" tag off of us then that in itself will be a net positive in my eyes.

We need to be a club that's feared, I think Mourinho will give us that.

He needs to analyse why he could not get us over the line on numerous occasions.

And he needs to reconsider what constitutes a capable squad.

And ask if he can handle the mercurial characters because it is often they who are the difference.

And he needs to work with a very good sporting director. The guy has not shown he can spot talent in my opinion, although I am hopeful on Sessegnon, Lo Celso and of course N'Dombele. And Clarke when he arrives.
Remember that dirty little secret in the closet no one ever talks about...

When Tim Sherwoods Tottenham beat Pochs Southampton.

Twice.
In half a season.

The philosophy under Pochettino was clear.
I have to stop you there. I think it may have been clear for a while, but as time went on, it became very unclear indeed. After all these years all I can tell you is that Poch favours a high line, hard pressing and playing out from the back. And all of that appeals to me. But there were a lot of missing pieces-translating that possession into clear-cut chances and conceding less chances, mainly.

So what I am left to wonder is if Poch was somewhat lacking when it came to being able to make players understand what he wanted from them or did he have a vague sense of how he wanted to play, which went so far, but meant he had trouble identifying flaws and fixes in the recipe? Or both?

We've been trying to play out from the back with a number of players who are not good passers of the ball-goalkeeper and midfielders included. It took us five years to buy a cultured midfielder (Ndombele). We've been playing a high line with two central defenders whose legs have gone. We've apparently been flogging the lads in training, to the extent that it has left us short of energy for hard pressing. We've been asking full-backs with poor delivery to create for us in the final third. Our combination play was very poor, but it has already seen an improvement under Mourinho-better off-the-ball movement, more incision, and the likes of Alli attempting to play on the half-turn more often.

I am not saying everything Poch did was wrong or that every idea he had was a bad one. What I am saying is that I can cannot make head nor tail of his rationale for doing certain things, and it leaves me wondering how clearly defined his philosophy is.

I have to stop you there. I think it may have been clear for a while, but as time went on, it became very unclear indeed. After all these years all I can tell you is that Poch favours a high line, hard pressing and playing out from the back. And all of that appeals to me. But there were a lot of missing pieces-translating that possession into clear-cut chances and conceding less chances, mainly.

So what I am left to wonder is if Poch was somewhat lacking when it came to being able to make players understand what he wanted from them or did he have a vague sense of how he wanted to play, which went so far, but meant he had trouble identifying flaws and fixes in the recipe? Or both?

We've been trying to play out from the back with a number of players who are not good passers of the ball-goalkeeper and midfielders included. It took us five years to buy a cultured midfielder (Ndombele). We've been playing a high line with two central defenders whose legs have gone. We've apparently been flogging the lads in training, to the extent that it has left us short of energy for hard pressing. We've been asking full-backs with poor delivery to create for us in the final third. Our combination play was very poor, but it has already seen an improvement under Mourinho-better off-the-ball movement, more incision, and the likes of Alli attempting to play on the half-turn more often.

I am not saying everything Poch did was wrong or that every idea he had was a bad one. What I am saying is that I can cannot make head nor tail of his rationale for doing certain things, and it leaves me wondering how clearly defined his philosophy is.
He's still learning his trade let's face it. He's still young for a top level manager. He'll learn from his mistakes and come back stronger i'm sure. We have the finished article now though. Cunt or not he's ours. League might be out of his reach during his tenure, depends on Levy's spending, but if he can't win us some sort of trophy no-one will!!

As robotic and impersonal as it could
As robotic and impersonal as it could be

Bye
Aaaannd then there's Sammy fuck me. OkSammy seriously would you give Poch any credit at all for what he's done for the club or was it total mistake to get him on board in the first place? Or is it that you like to be a wind up merchant and get on everybody's ( almost everybody's as even mental fuckwits have admires) tits. Asking for a friend....

Remember that dirty little secret in the closet no one ever talks about...

When Tim Sherwoods Tottenham beat Pochs Southampton.

Twice.
In half a season.
How the fuck is it a secret ffs....the results are there in plain fucking sight. That's not a secret even a dirty one. Dirty secrets are what you get upto behind you're probation officers back.

Back
Top Bottom