Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is a vexed one for me because not going to lie I love the bloke. But im honest to his flaws. A fan of another club was chatting to me about the window just gone and I lamented Levy not backing Poch like he has Jose, the bloke goes why would he do that?That’s not why he hired Poch. Asked him to elaborate and he said Poch is the bloke to build stability on a budget. He wouldn't know how to spend the money. Its why Madrid and United have really gone big for him. He said Levy knows exactly what his doing and he was envious that we had such clear leadership. He said very calmly Pochettino kept you competitive on a shoe string now Mourinho will win you things. It was the plan. He said Levy saw with his own eyes in Madrid why Poch was not the final stage. Probably hoped he'd pull it off but deep down knew he couldn't.

This is a vexed one for me because not going to lie I love the bloke. But im honest to his flaws. A fan of another club was chatting to me about the window just gone and I lamented Levy not backing Poch like he has Jose, the bloke goes why would he do that?That’s not why he hired Poch. Asked him to elaborate and he said Poch is the bloke to build stability on a budget. He wouldn't know how to spend the money. Its why Madrid and United have really gone big for him. He said Levy knows exactly what his doing and he was envious that we had such clear leadership. He said very calmly Pochettino kept you competitive on a shoe string now Mourinho will win you things. It was the plan. He said Levy saw with his own eyes in Madrid why Poch was not the final stage. Probably hoped he'd pull it off but deep down knew he couldn't.
I increasingly feel that too.

I remember reading an article at the beginning of Poch's tenure (whose source admittedly I cannot remember) that was saying that the main objective that Levy gave him was to have CL football by the time the stadium would have been completed.
It's early stage , but I start to think that Levy had always in mind to raise the game after that with more money and a proven manager. Then I am sure that if Poch's tenure would have gone even better and we actually won some big trophies, he probably would still be with us

It was a different stage of our progress, which I will always love... so many incredible moments

I like to take the "where Poch made us dare , Jose will make us do" statement in a positive way, a way that praises both managers

People still seriously think that Levy never backed Poch? Even after all the countless posts proving otherwise?

I reckon he will end up managing Manchester United and Manchester City AT THE SAME TIME!!!!

It'll be like that comedy sketch where a man is having babies with two women at the same hospital but they don't know about each other so he has to keep making increasingly elaborate excuses to go and see the other one for a bit.
Nah, I don't think that will happen.

Man City: probably offers the most attraction. Lots of money for top class players, Pep underperforming with the current quality of the squad so can fix quickly giving time for long term build.

Real Madrid: can get lots of great players with the pull of the worlds biggest club but RM are not known for allowing rebuilds/projects and RM need a rebuild with an ageing team. Big gamble for any manager but perhaps once in a lifetime.

Man United: massive pressure but a board that backs the players above the manager and allows top players to decline. A poison chalice if ever there was one. Any top manager taking that role with Ed as chairman is a fool.

I would take the city job and buy a few extra world class players with oil money.

Bit of a poisoned chalice these days.

Sure..... Wasnt much different 5 years ago either....

The whole shit show is just one big identity-less vanity project.

The irony is Zidane is perfect for them..... Absolutely dripping with arrogance and fuck all about him.

Sure..... Wasnt much different 5 years ago either....

The whole shit show is just one big identity-less vanity project.

The irony is Zidane is perfect for them..... Absolutely dripping with arrogance and fuck all about him.

RM had a world class squad in their prime 5 years back, now they have a squad with a bunch of players hitting The Vertoghen like drop off point. They need a huge rebuild like Barca and their fan base has no time for rebuilds or projects.

Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦

Much like Utd., take away the hushed tones and ultra reference and there's nothing special there.
Still one of the three biggest clubs in World football, they have all the draw to any manager. There are pitfalls at every Club that a manager has to navigate and of those rumoured that he's linked with then Real Madrid would be right now the biggest draw, with possibly City being the best option and best fit for him (players at his disposal who also play his style). With PSG he would routinely pick up the domestic trophies to silence those that only measure ability in trophy count.

And yeah Utd is way off these teams both on and off the pitch regarding what they can give a manager (assuming all can afford his salary, which I'm sure they can). But, just like with us, he will probably be "Manager", as opposed to Head Coach, so this can be a big sway by having a lot of control that's so rarely afforded coaches these days.

RM had a world class squad in their prime 5 years back, now they have a squad with a bunch of players hitting The Vertoghen like drop off point. They need a huge rebuild like Barca and their fan base has no time for rebuilds or projects.

....And much like Barca, it's not like they haven't continued to spend bazillions in the meantime; attempting to placate their wank fanbase with signings as opposed to strategically evolving their squads.

....Certain people here actually think that's the way we should recruit too.

Last edited:
Still one of the three biggest clubs in World football, they have all the draw to any manager. There are pitfalls at every Club that a manager has to navigate and of those rumoured that he's linked with then Real Madrid would be right now the biggest draw, with possibly City being the best option and best fit for him (players at his disposal who also play his style). With PSG he would routinely pick up the domestic trophies to silence those that only measure ability in trophy count.

And yeah Utd is way off these teams both on and off the pitch regarding what they can give a manager (assuming all can afford his salary, which I'm sure they can). But, just like with us, he will probably be "Manager", as opposed to Head Coach, so this can be a big sway by having a lot of control that's so rarely afforded coaches these days.

Perez & Woodwood are both known to stir the pot in terms of trfs though.

Back
Top Bottom