Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Regardless of other peoples views Poch’s Spurs managed to choke countless big games. I get that people respect him as a man, so do I, but he’s miles off the elite coaches.
If pep came to spurs, do you think we’d be competing for the league in year 1-2?

Probably not, because pep needs a half dozen expensive signings to play his way.

Name me an “elite coach” that is not reliant on a huge budget for success.

All these “elite coaches” just always happen to be at clubs with the biggest budgets. What a coincidence.

In reality, there are a few difference makers out there, but managers can only have so much impact when so many clubs are just buying titles nowadays.

If pep came to spurs, do you think we’d be competing for the league in year 1-2?

Probably not, because pep needs a half dozen expensive signings to play his way.

All these “elite coaches” just always happen to be at clubs with the biggest budgets. What a coincidence.

In reality, there are a few difference makers out there, but managers can only have so much impact when so many clubs are just buying titles nowadays.
Oh yes you’re right, but Poch lost too many semi finals, finals and crunch games when we could’ve won the league to be considered elite. Nothing he’s done at PSG suggests otherwise with all that talent at his disposal.

funny how we always "bottled it" against those type of sides - isn't it?

Nothing to do with the fact that they had purchased megastars and we were playing players cast off from the clubs that had purchased better players, making ours surplus to needs.

Oh yes you’re right, but Poch lost too many semi finals, finals and crunch games when we could’ve won the league to be considered elite. Nothing he’s done at PSG suggests otherwise with all that talent at his disposal.
Agree his performance in semi finals and finals was poor. But his overall performance at spurs had us punching well above our financial weight. I would not say he is at the level of pep and klopp, but the difference is not astronomical.

Obviously getting to a semi final or final isnt the ultimate goal but it is a sort of accomplishment and an indicator of consistent performance. If a manager is 2-6 over semi finals and finals over 3 years but another manager is 2-2, which is better? I’d say the one that managed to reach 6 semi finals versus one that only managed 2 and was knocked out early otherwise.

Regardless of other peoples views Poch’s Spurs managed to choke countless big games. I get that people respect him as a man, so do I, but he’s miles off the elite coaches.

Don't think I've agreed with you before. Think I might lie down...

Ancelottti didn't win a league or CL final at Everton or Napoli but did at super clubs... Funny that

Lopetequi is leaving Sevilla.

That would be a great next destination for Poch.

Would be good for him IMO, he's a hipster manager - he clearly works at clubs who don't have massive expectations and with players who want to be improved, Sevilla are a big club but not a massive one and his profile fits them pretty well.

Spurs fans who slander Poch are pricks to me. He had flaws but Klopp lost 3
finals with Liverpool (16 LC, 16 EL, 18 CL) before the club backed him with top quality signings before his squad got stale and burnt out. Funny how nobody points this out now.

I will go to my grave saying that that was the sliding doors moment between Poch’s Spurs and Klopp’s LFC. No signings in 2018, not striking whilst the iron was hot and momentum was on our side was criminal.

Spurs fans who slander Poch are pricks to me. He had flaws but Klopp lost 3
finals with Liverpool (16 LC, 16 EL, 18 CL) before the club backed him with top quality signings before his squad got stale and burnt out. Funny how nobody points this out now.

I will go to my grave saying that that was the sliding doors moment between Poch’s Spurs and Klopp’s LFC. No signings in 2018, not striking whilst the iron was hot and momentum was on our side was criminal.

Man got us to a CL final, an 86 point season and had us in the top 4 every full season but one. Brilliant manager. I love Conte & what he's doing but under Poch at our best we bossed teams, bullied them in to submission. Hopefully we get there soon again.

(All btw with a budget at the time more comparable to bottom half sides than our top 4 competitors..)

Back
Top Bottom