Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Man got us to a CL final, an 86 point season and had us in the top 4 every full season but one. Brilliant manager. I love Conte & what he's doing but under Poch at our best we bossed teams, bullied them in to submission. Hopefully we get there soon again.

(All btw with a budget at the time more comparable to bottom half sides than our top 4 competitors..)
I still maintain that the Spurs side that lost the league to Conte Chavs was the better team. Just that they had little bit of luck to get them across the line.

I still maintain that the Spurs side that lost the league to Conte Chavs was the better team. Just that they had little bit of luck to get them across the line.
It’s pretty simple when challenging for the league you are competing with clubs who are playing twice a week . The best teams challenging for titles are obviously competing in Europe, this causing fatigue , injuries and fixture congestion as they progress . Spurs title challenges Leicester and Chelsea are the exception , at least I can’t think of any team winning the league in the CL era without European football bar those two.
I firmly believe Poch wins both titles if normal circumstances prevailed. Happy to be corrected on stats , maybe Blackburn is an exception , but they were the most financially invested in team for a few seasons .

Poch was very unlucky in that regard, as were all of us long suffering Spurs fans

Spurs fans who slander Poch are pricks to me. He had flaws but Klopp lost 3
finals with Liverpool (16 LC, 16 EL, 18 CL) before the club backed him with top quality signings before his squad got stale and burnt out. Funny how nobody points this out now.

I will go to my grave saying that that was the sliding doors moment between Poch’s Spurs and Klopp’s LFC. No signings in 2018, not striking whilst the iron was hot and momentum was on our side was criminal.
100% however for those that think we would have given him the money to rebuild an entire team BEFORE we moved into a new stadium that was designed to generate the income to rebuild a squad are deluded.

The timing was very frustrating but he knew the deal and we knew the deal but we gloss over the fact that this was the reality at the time. We peaked a couple of years too early under Poch, this was the reality. It was also referenced by Poch too but seems to get totally ignored.

To add to the frustrations we then had COVID that basically fucked the revenue stream for two seasons.

We are now in a position to use those new revenue streams, wages have been increased and money has been spent. We all need to keep our fingers crossed that any spending actually improves the team. Early signs are that Paratici isn't shit.

100% however for those that think we would have given him the money to rebuild an entire team BEFORE we moved into a new stadium that was designed to generate the income to rebuild a squad are deluded.

The timing was very frustrating but he knew the deal and we knew the deal but we gloss over the fact that this was the reality at the time. We peaked a couple of years too early under Poch, this was the reality. It was also referenced by Poch too but seems to get totally ignored.

^^^^^ T. H. I. S.

To add to the frustrations we then had COVID that basically fucked the revenue stream for two seasons.

We are now in a position to use those new revenue streams, wages have been increased and money has been spent. We all need to keep our fingers crossed that any spending actually improves the team. Early signs are that Paratici isn't shit.

We spent money during his years but we spent it very badly. Brilliant guy, superb manager, took us to heights that noone expected, but the man is very bad at choosing and selecting the right players to buy.

Just one example, and I know that during that summer he wanted the likes of Mane or Saha, but why the heck did Poch agree to the signing of Sissoko. He was the manager, he always had the final say on who comes in or out, what was going on his mind to bring in such a player. Absolutely shocking the number of wrong players we signed whilst he was here.

Last edited:
We spent money during his years but we spent it very badly. Brilliant guy, superb manager, took us to heights that noone expected, but the man is very bad at choosing and selecting the right players to buy.

Just one example, and I know that during that summer he wanted the likes of Mane or Saha, but why the heck did Poch agree to the signing of Sissoko. He was the manager, he always had the final say on who comes in or out, what was going on his mind to bring in such a player. Absolutely shocking the number of wrong players we signed whilst he was here.

Shame cause if he would have just agreed to getting a DOF then maybe things would have worked out differently...

Because it's not a choice between them. I guess he had no choice.

We didn't get Mane because Liverpool offered to pay him more in wages, the same was the case with Wijnaldum. We couldn't offer the wages because we didn't have the revenue to support it (amplified more so because we were building a £1.2b stadium financed by our own resources).

I'm not disagreeing with you however on his recruitment record, I don't think it's all that sound but then, just to flip the coin, if he's going after Mane/Wijnaldum/Salah then it could also be argued he's not far off either!!

The thing is that very rarely German clubs hire managers who don’t speak German. And Poch doesn’t speak any German. But would be cool.
I even think that it is a demand by the Dortmund top brass. They only hire German speaking coaches.

But it would be an interesting project for him. But again one where he wouldn't have full control of transfers. Which is probably for the best.

Shame cause if he would have just agreed to getting a DOF then maybe things would have worked out differently...
Again, and not for the sake of an argument, but to play devil's advocate for a second, we didn't have a DoF and we sacked Mitchell (a DoF like character but mainly focused on transfers) BECAUSE we wanted to keep Poch and not have him plucked by Real Madrid or Man U. We backed him by promoting him from Head Coach to Manager, we gave him the power.

(This changed at some point further down the road, one of the reasons why things started to unravel, and hence the article posted above by Deuterz Deuterz . Perhaps the Club thought his ability to bring in players was poor, we don't know the exact reasons but for sure it was one of the issues between him & the Club)

Poch wanted Mane, Mitchell wanted Mane.

Levy balked at Mane wanting 100k and ended up paying £4 mil and 10k less for Sissoko.

The Mane incident triggered Mitchell’s departure.

It really is a circus of a club. Cringe.

Tuchel and Poch had to work under these bullshit conditions. It’s not the managers that are PSG’s problem it’s the club.

Players > Manager for PSG. The manager is a monkey at that club.

Just think about Zidane coming to PSG, Mbappe doesn’t like him and sacks him.

Poch wanted Mane, Mitchell wanted Mane.

Levy balked at Mane wanting 100k and ended up paying £4 mil and 10k less for Sissoko.

The Mane incident triggered Mitchell’s departure.

Pretty sure Mane’s agent would have just used Spurs as a negotiation tactic.
No way we could have matched Liverpool wages back then.

Handy place to send Mane to look around etc. I think he ended up getting £100k + plus Liverpool? And then they upped it to £150k relatively quickly.

Pretty sure Mane’s agent would have just used Spurs as a negotiation tactic.
No way we could have matched Liverpool wages back then.

Handy place to send Mane to look around etc. I think he ended up getting £100k + plus Liverpool? And then they upped it to £150k relatively quickly.

From what I remember reading, he started on 130kpw; not 100kpw.

Back
Top Bottom