Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree that our full back/wing back position has been targeted (particularly our right side) and early crosses into the box appears to be our main weakness. Stoke, Swansea and Bournemouth have all taken this route against us with success (in terms of them scoring and looking dangerous).

I agree that our full back/wing back position has been targeted (particularly our right side) and early crosses into the box appears to be our main weakness. Stoke, Swansea and Bournemouth have all taken this route against us with success (in terms of them scoring and looking dangerous).
Yeah, but it has been less reliably successful than in past seasons, due to Alderweireld not losing his head every time a cross comes in the box, unlike our previous centerbacks.

General reply........
This is because 4-2-3-1 is basically a 'vertical' formation.
It really doesn't allow players to move 'horizontally' except up front where there is latitude to 'disrupt'.
Hence wingbacks moving up & down the flanks and HMFs going box to box.
Add in a zonal defense (I touched on this elsewhere in the blog but there are so many fackin' threads, so don't ask me where) so
if, Erik for example, loses possession,up front, guess which flank the oppo attack?
So why doesn't Dier, for example, move across to protect that right flank, assuming of course that Walker is there
in the first place and has the channel inside covered??
The answer is he can't...he can't open up that area defined as the apex of the penalty box, not unless the right ATMF has tracked back
because Walker is not allowed (in a zonal defense) to move up otherwise he opens up the near post.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that rotation in defense is just as important (during game time) as that in attack and that, more often than not, if players have committed forward
it's crucial that those players understand where the point of the counter attack could emerge from and act accordingly.

Big-5 Weekly Post - 123
Wasnt sure where to put this.
We've got the 5th youngest average team, across the top 5 leagues. I think that's something to be proud of. Especially when many of the big teams seem to have average teams in the bracket of 27-30, so we're at least 3 years behind the 8 ball in that regard.
Something to consider when we are inconsistent.

Big-5 Weekly Post - 123
Wasnt sure where to put this.
We've got the 5th youngest average team, across the top 5 leagues. I think that's something to be proud of. Especially when many of the big teams seem to have average teams in the bracket of 27-30, so we're at least 3 years behind the 8 ball in that regard.
Something to consider when we are inconsistent.

It is both a blessing and a curse, isn't it? That time of the season where the longer in the tooth pros know what it takes could still be our downfall...could.

That is why players like Jan and Toby, Hugo and Moussa are so important. That level of experience is pivotal in the development of team mates.

Those four players mentioned are either having their best seasons for a while or have arrived and are an example of what we have been missing.

That youthful exuberance of Kane, Alli and Dier is equally important to the aforementioned players.

I know it is a fairly obvious thing to say but I am so desperate for us to win the FA Cup - this team ought to have the ability to do just that.

It is both a blessing and a curse, isn't it? That time of the season where the longer in the tooth pros know what it takes could still be our downfall...could.

That is why players like Jan and Toby, Hugo and Moussa are so important. That level of experience is pivotal in the development of team mates.

Those four players mentioned are either having their best seasons for a while or have arrived and are an example of what we have been missing.

That youthful exuberance of Kane, Alli and Dier is equally important to the aforementioned players.

I know it is a fairly obvious thing to say but I am so desperate for us to win the FA Cup - this team ought to have the ability to do just that.
I think we can aim higher than that, although it may not happen this year.

We're not conceding many goals though, so is this really as big an issue as you might think? I agree, weirdly, but there's something in the fact we've not conceded many goals that makes me think we've either been lucky, or we're just solid everywhere else so the wings appear more susceptible.

I think partly the system we play will always lead to our wings being targeted, as the fullbacks are encouraged to get forward to support play, leaving an obvious gap and also giving the opposition manager a clear target in occupying the fullbacks so they're unable to join attacks as much.

It's worrying that the penny won't drop regarding our wings.

Eriksen and Lamela despite their best efforts leave us wide open down the flanks. They seem to think that Lamela on the right is great defensively on the pod, which proves that going to games does not always give you the best vantage point. He gets crazy stats because he is being targeted. He's ALWAYS been a liability off the ball apart from vs City and a handful of other games. Even vs City in the first half he was risky and could only handle it after Toure was taken off. He should be given a free role. His goals this season proves he should be more attacking and less of a general midfielder.

It's never going to stop if Poch keeps putting Eriksen, Chadli or Lamela or Townsend as the only cover for our left and right backs. It has a plus side, it makes our games exciting but I think our soft wings are the last aspect that needs to be sealed and we can become a legendary team. If we did not have soft wings, with how young this squad is: I don't think anyone in the world will have an easy time against us.

It seems that injuries are the only reason he's playing Dembele as an advanced midfielder. So perhaps we have to wait for injuries for Poch to realize that Dembele in the final third is his best position? I was hoping that wasnt the case as he played Dembele as an AM vs Utd but since then he's been back in DM mode. Our best result of the season and that lineup would not have happened if Chadli was fit.

I love how fit Poch has us, but it seems luck has played a large part of his process. Would Alli have got a game if Eriksen wasn't injured early in the season?

I still think we can get 4th, even if he keeps giving Rose, Walker, Trippier and Davies nightmares with no cover. But this team is one key decision away from us being one of the best teams in the world IMO.

The richest team in world football, did not get one shot at goal against us when Bentaleb and Dembele was on the pitch. Man City were DECIMATED by us with a different lineup. There is so much win in this team.

I don't think Poch is on the same level as the squad we have, but he has other redeeming qualities that are winning us games (fitness/defensive coaching). We don't look like we have a clue as the what system we are playing. I don't see any partnerships forming or clicks that suggest coaching is having a positive effect of the team apart from defense. Going forward it's mostly individual skill apart from flashes like the goal against Monaco.

I'm hoping Kanes drought is not tactics based. I still feel Poch needs a number two who has a history of attacking football.

I am griping, after a big win, but it's only because I know how great this team can be. 6th is not good enough for the amount of talent we have, with or without injuries. 5 draws is an odd stat to have this early in the season and it's symbolic for us spinning our wheels.

We will stuff Villa even if Poch trots our Townsend and semi fit players. But long term, it will be interesting to see how coaching impacts us in the final third. If we have to wait 3 seasons then we have to wait 3 seasons, but a lot was made about Poch's philosophy and it can't be as shallow as press? Because that's all I'm seeing really.

You press, get the ball. Then what?

giphy.gif

I'm hoping Kanes drought is not tactics based. I still feel Poch needs a number two who has a history of attacking football.

However Pochettino was in charge when Kane had his one and only prolific season, so seems a little harsh to blame him for Kane not quite firing away the chances he's had.

It's worrying that the penny won't drop regarding our wings.

Eriksen and Lamela despite their best efforts leave us wide open down the flanks. They seem to think that Lamela on the right is great defensively on the pod, which proves that going to games does not always give you the best vantage point. He gets crazy stats because he is being targeted. He's ALWAYS been a liability off the ball apart from vs City and a handful of other games. Even vs City in the first half he was risky and could only handle it after Toure was taken off. He should be given a free role. His goals this season proves he should be more attacking and less of a general midfielder.

It's never going to stop if Poch keeps putting Eriksen, Chadli or Lamela or Townsend as the only cover for our left and right backs. It has a plus side, it makes our games exciting but I think our soft wings are the last aspect that needs to be sealed and we can become a legendary team. If we did not have soft wings, with how young this squad is: I don't think anyone in the world will have an easy time against us.

It seems that injuries are the only reason he's playing Dembele as an advanced midfielder. So perhaps we have to wait for injuries for Poch to realize that Dembele in the final third is his best position? I was hoping that wasnt the case as he played Dembele as an AM vs Utd but since then he's been back in DM mode. Our best result of the season and that lineup would not have happened if Chadli was fit.

I love how fit Poch has us, but it seems luck has played a large part of his process. Would Alli have got a game if Eriksen wasn't injured early in the season?

I still think we can get 4th, even if he keeps giving Rose, Walker, Trippier and Davies nightmares with no cover. But this team is one key decision away from us being one of the best teams in the world IMO.

The richest team in world football, did not get one shot at goal against us when Bentaleb and Dembele was on the pitch. Man City were DECIMATED by us with a different lineup. There is so much win in this team.

I don't think Poch is on the same level as the squad we have, but he has other redeeming qualities that are winning us games (fitness/defensive coaching). We don't look like we have a clue as the what system we are playing. I don't see any partnerships forming or clicks that suggest coaching is having a positive effect of the team apart from defense. Going forward it's mostly individual skill apart from flashes like the goal against Monaco.

I am griping, after a big win, but it's only because I know how great this team can be. 6th is not good enough for the amount of talent we have, with or without injuries. 5 draws is an odd stat to have this early in the season and it's symbolic for us spinning our wheels.

We will stuff Villa even if Poch trots our Townsend and semi fit players. But long term, it will be interesting to see how coaching impacts us in the final third. If we have to wait 3 seasons then we have to wait 3 seasons, but a lot was made about Poch's philosophy and it can't be as shallow as press? Because that's all I'm seeing really.

You press, get the ball. Then what?

I'd love to know how many times you've written 'Dembele'.

This is an especially pleasing article on Poch. There isn't a great deal of recognition, which I suspect he is fine with but it is nice when there is.

Pochettino perfect for this youthful Spurs - Football365

Also, as a caption contest "It's fine, Clinton, it doesn't bite...."

I loved the closing sentence, "They say that he who shouts loudest, gets heard. But maybe not by the people that actually matter."

Back
Top Bottom