Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Piece of a Nicola Cortese interview on the BBC today

What of Pochettino? Was there a moment on 15 January, the day he left, when he thought the manager might follow him out of the club?
"No," he says. "There was never any doubt about his future.
"There was no doubt in his mind as well. First of all, he was contractually bound, but he had a duty to stay."
Former Espanyol boss Pochettino had arrived 12 months earlier as the little-known Argentine to replace Nigel Adkins, a decision that attracted widespread scorn.
"I can't blame anyone who criticised me, but I have always felt that facts are stronger than words," says Cortese.
"The facts now prove that it was the right move.
"I didn't consider it to be a risk, even though everyone said it was going to be meltdown, that we were going to be relegated. I expected criticism.
"I replaced an English manager who gave us two promotions with someone no-one had heard of and who didn't speak English.
"Nigel did a good job. It was just that we weren't progressing further. For any business, especially a football club, if you don't have progression and you are standing still, you risk failure. We had to move on."
Cortese explains what he had to do.
"As a club, we had a clear philosophy set, how we believed we could be successful in the Premier League, the way we wanted to play," he says.
“I am a perfectionist; I always believed that little things made a big difference”
Cortese
"That wasn't set the day Mauricio came in - that was set in April 2012. That made it easier for me because I knew what I was looking for when we made the change.
"When I spoke to Mauricio, I was 100% convinced it was going to work."
Decisions such as the one to sack Adkins prompted some to describe Cortese as a ruthless chairman who did not understand the game.

daniellevy.jpg
The most telling Levy meme of all time

"Daniel, the fans are anxious as to our next managerial appointment. Are you going to make an announcement soon?"

I,d like to see us go under the media radar a little. I accept we are a London club with a great history, so we naturally attract media attention. But right now, I,d just like us to go about our business (building a class squad and playing attractive football) without to much "outside focus". A De Boer, Ancelotti will bring the opposite. With Pochettino and his clever tactic of using an interpreter, will see this focus reduced slightly imo.

I believe he will bring us the same amount of success as the previous 2 names mentioned. And for me his youth and EPL experience are the tipping point in his favour.

With any of the above, all we can realistically expect to achieve (under Enic) is quality football. A top 6 finish season in, season out. Respectable performances against our London counterparts and the Manx. Plus a 1 in 3 season Europa Cup Victory. Resulting in CL football for a season.

COYS!!

I,d like to see us go under the media radar a little. I accept we are a London club with a great history, so we naturally attract media attention. But right now, I,d just like us to go about our business (building a class squad and playing attractive football) without to much "outside focus". A De Boer, Ancelotti will bring the opposite. With Pochettino and his clever tactic of using an interpreter, will see this focus reduced slightly imo.

I believe he will bring us the same amount of success as the previous 2 names mentioned. And for me his youth and EPL experience are the tipping point in his favour.

With any of the above, all we can realistically expect to achieve (under Enic) is quality football. A top 6 finish season in, season out. Respectable performances against our London counterparts and the Manx. Plus a 1 in 3 season Europa Cup Victory. Resulting in CL football for a season.

COYS!!

While Poch is not my favourite I utterly agree with the media sentiment above. I really would like us to just dip under the radar for a bit. We did a few years back under Saggy-Chops and that was when we snuck up on the top four like a Ninja in Jesus-Creepers.

Unrealistic expectations fueled by the media cause the majority of our problems.

COYS!!

I won't apologise for being skeptical. But thats not why we attract attention. After spunking 100m , we will be linked to any and everyone, I'd say we are the PSG / City for the medium to low end bargain transfers. The polarized view of Redknapp and AVB is also largely a media construction. One gets away with the most ridiculous comments while the other is lynched for the most petty things. I am hoping fans can create their own attitudes ( hopefully positive ) for the new manager and not lap up stories by the dailly fail/mirror as what is the reality of the situation.
If pochettino is the man, hopefully the talking ( or the translation ) is done on the pitch

Piece of a Nicola Cortese interview on the BBC today

From the same interview...

Nicola Cortese, the former Southampton chairman, has warned Mauricio Pochettino that he could damage his career prospects by leaving St Mary's for Tottenham this summer.

Pochettino has been linked with the vacant manager's role at White Hart Lane and is described as "rightly" ambitious by Cortese, who believes that the Argentinian may not yet be ready for his next move.

"Often we have maybe seen people take too quick a step which ultimately backfires," Cortese told BBC Sport.

"But he has to make his own decision. He is a young manager. He has plenty of time to have a great career."

If anyone's interested. Go to the official THFC website and click on Spurs Media Watch. Scroll down a couple of dozen headings, looking for 'What Spurs Could Expect From Pochettino'. (THBN Web Blog) Good read.

COYS!!

Back
Top Bottom