Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I love the man but he has to address two things:

Composure: The last two matches have highlighted a frailty in that we allowed ourselves to get riled when teams went nasty on us. Last night looked like we wanted players sent off (Debmbele and Walker were both, as senior players, fortunate to stay on the pitch in the first half alone), whereas in these situations the players, whether it being taking themselves aside and taking a moment, or Pochettino doing so, have to realise that the moment can't get in the way of the long term.

Maintaining leads: This is, mostly, a direct consequence of the above. If the players can retain focus, not allow the opposition to dominate the direction of the match, not necessarily tactically but emotionally, then we'd have at least four more points this past week alone.

There will always be a season where a side who wins the league drops points but not nearly as many as we have, and from commanding positions, too.

These are two issues that are resolvable....and they need to start from Sunday against Southampton, because if we finish behind Woolwich then despite what we hoped or expected in August, it will be hugely deflating.

Yup, Leicester essentially beat us to the league title with their consistent nervelessness.

Whilst I'm sad it's over for the title, he's certainly proven himself to be the man to take us forwards. I'm sure he will build on this season & assuming we can keep hold of our lads, we will come back wiser & stronger next year. There's certainly nothing to remain despondent about. The gloom is passing & we mustn't forget how far we've come in a short spell. Couldn't be more optimistic for the future of this great club.

Can't help but feel the way this season has ended with how Spurs have been painted as villains has almost angered Pochettino as much as it has angered all of us. We've been disrespected bevause we decided to challenge Leicester.

This'll make him even more determined.

Can't help but feel the way this season has ended with how Spurs have been painted as villains has almost angered Pochettino as much as it has angered all of us. We've been disrespected bevause we decided to challenge Leicester.

This'll make him even more determined.
Agreed. If they didn't like us before, given us a solid motivational core of anger and revenge was probably the dumbest idea possible.

I think he himself has learnt a few valuable lessons this year especially the last four weeks. Hold on to our boys, add a few more quality players and I reckon we are going to rock next year. I love our mean streak, long time coming.

I wonder when our boys actually believed they could challenge for the Title? For me the faint tantalising glimmer came when we beat Citeh away (14th Feb that was 10 games ago)! Can't remember when Lamela had his chat with Rose convincing him over dinner that "we" can win the League but it proves that just like us fans not all the team were not even thinking about challenging for a Title.

Now imagine having a whole club (management, team & fans) having this belief from the day they turn up for pre-season training. Think about that, I dare you.

Last edited:
I think he himself has learnt a few valuable lessons this year especially the last four weeks. Hold on to our boys, add a few more quality players and I reckon we are going to rock next year. I love our mean streak, long time coming.

Exactly, through all of this the young has been in a lot of crazy situations the season. They will definitely be more battle hardened but hopefully more wise next season.

Main thing for next year is strengthen the few positions we need cover and for god sake Levy don't drag out the transfers and send the squad on a stupid pre-season, hopefully Poch will make this clear. We can't sacrifice the first 4 games again.

Exactly, through all of this the young has been in a lot of crazy situations the season. They will definitely be more battle hardened but hopefully more wise next season.

Main thing for next year is strengthen the few positions we need cover and for god sake Levy don't drag out the transfers and send the squad on a stupid pre-season, hopefully Poch will make this clear. We can't sacrifice the first 4 games again.
Only spanner in the works is Euro's Tomo. Usually deals get done after Internationals as agents/clubs hold onto players and hope their players have a good competition and add £10m to their value.

I wonder when our boys actually believed they could challenge for the Title? For me the faint tantalising glimmer came when we beat Citeh away (14th Feb that was 10 games ago)! Can't remember when Lamela had his chat with Rose convincing him over dinner that "we" can win the League but it proves that just like us fans not all the team were even thinking about challenging for a Title.

Now imaging having a whole club (management, team & fans) having this belief from the day they turn up for pre-season training. Think about that, I dare you.
You know what though, and I can't remember if I said it on here or in the pub with friends, it's so important that we've had this cultural shift all through the club where the belief was there to actually challenge for the league. Partly because if you aim for the top but fall short, you'll still find yourself in a great position at the end of the league - which will likely be the case.

It's ambition-suicide to go down the 'top four's our everything' route and make that the target to focus upon. It's certainly not a shabby thing to get (I'm sure United would bite your hand off right now if you offered them that), but if you make it your be-all-and-end-all, there's a good chance you'll fall short because you didn't push yourself to do better.

Poch has a plan. To be quite honest, we've overachieved massively in his second year (partly due to the landscape of the league right now), which has raised all these conflicting feelings in the fanbase.
I could look back and rue saying this, but we're not Leicester - I don't believe this season was lightning in a bottle for us in a 'now or never' situation - I believe that it's the culmination of a developing team where the pieces are all falling into place.
Spurs this year are not the finished article, in my opinion, and I think we'll hit the ground running next year. As for the team - I think the Euros this summer might actually be a nice palette cleanser to clear their heads going into next season.

We really need to talk about Poch's Mason sub when it comes to maintaining leads. This isn't the first time that we've found ourselves trying to hold onto a lead and Poch throws on Mason to sure up the midfield. It didn't work again yesterday. I like Mason but whenever he comes on our attacks becomes somewhat stagnant and he doesn't make up for it defensively.

We really need to talk about Poch's Mason sub when it comes to maintaining leads. This isn't the first time that we've found ourselves trying to hold onto a lead and Poch throws on Mason to sure up the midfield. It didn't work again yesterday. I like Mason but whenever he comes on our attacks becomes somewhat stagnant and he doesn't make up for it defensively.

I thought it failed miserably against Woolwich in the home game where we needed to push on and get a 3rd, but we actually did sure up yesterday when he came on. They created nothing from the 65th to the 83rd minute where they scored.

We definitely need a very good CM this summer, but I don't think it's fair to blame this draw on the introduction of Mason.

If you turn up for work into a vile cauldron of hate, feeling like the whole country is willing you to lose, then it's not suprising that you crack. They are a young team who have been a credit to us. Our manager is a class act and i love the way he backs the players in public and keeps upsets in house. Onwards and upwards we go.

This, plus constantly chasing in the league went from being an opportunity to focus on to constantly feeling like we couldn't make a single mistake as games went by.

Those set of circumstances with Leicester never really dropping points and us always having to play second will never happen again.

I wonder when our boys actually believed they could challenge for the Title? For me the faint tantalising glimmer came when we beat Citeh away (14th Feb that was 10 games ago)! Can't remember when Lamela had his chat with Rose convincing him over dinner that "we" can win the League but it proves that just like us fans not all the team were even thinking about challenging for a Title.

Now imagine having a whole club (management, team & fans) having this belief from the day they turn up for pre-season training. Think about that, I dare you.

This is what happened in 59/60.

I wonder when our boys actually believed they could challenge for the Title? For me the faint tantalising glimmer came when we beat Citeh away (14th Feb that was 10 games ago)! Can't remember when Lamela had his chat with Rose convincing him over dinner that "we" can win the League but it proves that just like us fans not all the team were not even thinking about challenging for a Title.

Couldn't the same be said about Leicester though..

And at the risk of repeating myself when we throw on Tommy as in Citeh away we do hold on to leads as he has a good passing game and doesn't give the ball away!

Back
Top Bottom