Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

On Lamela's injury:

"He’s still recovering. We didn’t expect it to take so long. Let’s see if in the next few weeks he can return to the group and we can have him back with us."

On the Pau Lopez transfer:

"We were very clear with him when we proposed the move to bring Pau here. He’s a player for the present and the future. Right now we have two very good goalkeepers in Hugo [Lloris] and Michel [Vorm], but he can be very important in the future. The chance to come to Tottenham and learn English football first hand can help him to grow."

Sounds alright. I particularly liked his admiration for 'what Simeone has done' at Atletico. It's reading that sort of thing that let's me convince myself he would want to stay and build a legacy at Spurs rather than move to a club where he'd be in someone else's shadow.
:pochsmirk:

On Lamela's injury:

"He’s still recovering. We didn’t expect it to take so long. Let’s see if in the next few weeks he can return to the group and we can have him back with us."

On the Pau Lopez transfer:

"We were very clear with him when we proposed the move to bring Pau here. He’s a player for the present and the future. Right now we have two very good goalkeepers in Hugo [Lloris] and Michel [Vorm], but he can be very important in the future. The chance to come to Tottenham and learn English football first hand can help him to grow."

Sounds alright. I particularly liked his admiration for 'what Simeone has done' at Atletico. It's reading that sort of thing that let's me convince myself he would want to stay and build a legacy at Spurs rather than move to a club where he'd be in someone else's shadow.
:pochsmirk:
He is with us for a while I reckon! :dierpochhug:

The SpursOfficial account tweeted a video showing Poch hug all the Spurs players coming off the pitch - and some Chelsea ones too including Costa. When I was watching it on the tube home I loved the class of the guy. He's not some manufactured 'pashun' merchant who looks like a buffoon and celebrates like they won the league after a 2-2 draw with West Brom (Klopp), or an absolute cretin who makes it all about him (most others). Other managers beating their rivals in a game as big as this would've acted like a smug prick afterwards and made it about how well they did. But Poch was just a good guy congratulating his players and the other lot. He's a really classy guy who all players respect and know what he's about. Tactically he's very astute, he's made every single player in that side a better footballer and they love him for it.

I love the guy and have no doubt he's one of the best managers in football.

(He's also far braver than I, no way would I touch a Chelsea player unless I'd got my vaccinations)

The man is a genius.

After signing Wanyama, a lot us wondered how Poch would handle both he and Dier. Looks like he found the answer. The 3-4-3 formation has been a revelation for the team.

This formation wouldn't be possible without the huge improve of Rose and Walker. Huge kudos to them for becoming such a force moving forward.

Taking off an attacking player for a 3rd CB has opened up a ton of space for Eriksen, Dele, and Harry to operate with Walker and Rose providing a lot of width.

I don't think Dembele has really hit his stride yet. He, or the player sitting next to Wanyama, seems to have gotten lost going forward in the 3-4-3. Once he gets going. Watch out!!

After the way we performed last night, and having now won 5 games in a row (6 in 7 where we lost to United) to climb into third - you've gotta say we're looking like one of the stronger top-4 challengers.

The only problem is, I'll bet Levy will have a word with Pochettino and tell him to focus on the league instead of the cups. We should be aiming to win silverware with a team like this.

There was a moment this time last season when Poch and the players realised they could win the league and it just catapulted us forward. I think that moment has just happened again.
I think they have had that belief from pre-season, I'd be pissed off if they hadn't thought that given last season.

BUT, the difference this year is us, it took until the Man City win away from home last year for us to even dare to admit that we were challengers, all be it with caveats attached (me included). After last night we know we are challengers again, those with caveats last year have ditched them this year and believe and will be behind it. Those that didn't allow themselves to believe last year, are likely to allow themselves but with the caveats. That Citeh win came mid way through Feb!!! We are only just in Jan!!

Poch has created something unique. A team of super talented, young players, with an English core, who have bonded as a unit.
Spurs are not reliant on big money transfers. All the players have re-signed and are 100 percent behind Poch's vision.
And I'm a fucking fool for ever doubting him!

F'king 'ell, what a load of bollox this is. Try and name the 6 ahead of him. He should be top 2 easily for what he's done at Spurs in this calendar year alone.

F365's top ten PL managers of 2016 - Football365

7) Mauricio Pochettino (Tottenham)
On the plus side: A title challenge from a New Year position of being fourth-favourites.
On the negative side: Having put themselves in a position to challenge, they finished third in a two-horse race.

On the plus side: They reached the Champions League.
On the negative side: They seriously underwhelmed and exited at the first hurdle, leaving themselves with an unwanted Europa League campaign.

On the plus side: They tied down virtually their whole squad to new contracts and never looked in real danger of losing key players.
On the negative side: They spent £30m on Moussa Sissoko and £17m on Vincent Janssen.

So he’s seventh.

One better than Fat Sam....

Can someone tell me what Klopp has done in the PL?

Neville looking for a mentor......would anyone here have him on the staff?
Neville's media persona is great. I think he is the best pundit on the tele, he is a fantastic communicator. I like his confidence and the way he schooled the power of print media single handed on Sunday Supplement the other week, it was a thing of beauty (if you haven't seen it I recommend you watch, link below).

He is a young ambitious man, I still think he wants to be a manger. He loves how Poch manages, he is a massive fan of him. I am convinced that it was his influence in the England camp that persuaded Hodgson to copy how Spurs played. They spent their time at Hotspur Way and Poch was in attendance during these training sessions.

As we all know it was a complete and utter failure, this was a kick in the balls for Nevelle, but also I'm sure it would have had a profound impact on just how good Poch really is, as I'm sure he thought I can get my teams to play like Poch's. So, all of the above would suggest that he would be an eager and willing protege of Poch.

However, I wouldn't have him anywhere near our club. His links and loyalty to Manure are too strong. Whilst managers, assistants and backroom staff all move from club to club, I am convinced that the long term objective would be to manage Utd., now I don't have a problem with this, I do have a problem with him acting on behalf of Utd to get Poch to Utd. (with him as part of his backroom staff). Poch will then sprinkle his stardust on Utd. leaving 4 or 5yrs down the road, with a rejuvenated Squad stack full of academy players all set for another decade or two of dominance, ultimately no doubt at our expense.

So, no. As much as i like him I couldn't trust him. Never under estimate the lengths Manure would go to get their hands on what we have. They want to be us, they want to play like us, they covert everything we have, Poch (his team), Kane, Lloris, Walker, Rose, Alli, McDermott. Unfortunatley they have been successful in luring Kieran McKenna away in Sept. Just look at what Citeh have done to get Guardiolla at the club. They hired half of the Barca backroom team two or three years ahead of his appointment.

Back
Top Bottom