Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Happy Monday, everyone.
Here's a gif of Poch hitting a Woolwich fan in the groin.

zjBEnwo.gif

Now we know who taught trippier to cross! :pochohshit:

Going back to the start of this thread, It's quite eye opening to see how many people didn't want pochettino. Most wanted Van Gaal or to keep sherwood.

Going back to the start of this thread, It's quite eye opening to see how many people didn't want pochettino. Most wanted Van Gaal or to keep sherwood.

Yeh probably me included, I think I had Van Gaal, De Boer then Poch as my 1,2,3. Very happy we got him at the time but wasn't my number one pick.

I knew Van Gaal in my head was not right because he has a combustible personality and it wouldn't work with Levy but my heart wanted a proven manger after the shit we had with AVB and Sherwood just seemed too volatile and green on experience.

Very very glad we got Poch, a manager who works with kids to implement a high press high fitness system is probably the only way we could achieve much on a shoestring budget. We where a fucking mess and I have to give Levy credit it was the right call, as a club we look so much more professional under Poch, no nonsense no bullshit approach is fine.

Definitely the best manager in my lifetime (32) it's just a shame it took us so long to get a top class manager. Unfortunately our rivals all now have top managers, it's the strongest maybe in all of English football history, Mourinho, Conte, Klopp, Wenger, Guardiola, Poch only missing Simeone and Tuchel and you have most of the top performing world managers in one league.

Over the next year or two this is what will take the Prem above La Liga IMO, having 6 top managers in one league and almost never ending money thanks to criminals like Abramovich and TV deals means we could become the NBA of leagues, particularly as Ronaldo and Messi's careers slow down.

It's a shame that we didn't get Poch 2 years prior. Each season as a squad we improve and our weaker players get sold or move on, last season we would have been in pole position to win the title, but with the likes of Ryan Mason instead of Waynama we simply didn't have the depth. That is no disrespect to Mason who is a good guy but just not of the quality we needed.

Problem is now with the stupid to money and managers it's going to be a lot harder I've the coming seasons.

It's a shame that we didn't get Poch 2 years prior.

Whilst i can see what you are saying(obviously) ,I think the fact he did a stint at Southampton did his rep no harm what so ever and bought him time.Before that he was pretty much unknown and (maybe,just maybe) he wouldn't have got the time to get things working the way he wanted(ol baldy head isn't known for his patience,is he?).
I wasn't really convinced by the bloke,to be honest and had people i would rather have had here as boss.I am now a total convert.Ex playing legends aside, he was one of only 2 or 3 managers since Burkenshaw that i genuinely really like.As a person,and not just a manager.He is class

Last edited:
Aye, I was in the Van Gaal camp.
:pochbye:
I have atoned.
I think van Gaal was never going to happen. Kind of like why we would never get a conte, mourihno or guardiola
They need to be able to spend money, at a club who can pay big salaries in their respective leagues and get the worlds best and, apart from van Gaal once, have been at sides expected to do well in the league as they are at one of , if not the biggest club/s in their league.
Klopp may have. Yet he also has got used to being at a club who can attract the best players, pay 2nd biggest wages .
De boer was the more likely, yet I think he felt he was too good for us and wanted a bigger club after the best club in holland and winning 4 titles on the bounce

De boer was the more likely, yet I think he felt he was too good for us and wanted a bigger club after the best club in holland and winning 4 titles on the bounce
I'm not so sure. His brother was making the right cooing noises in the press beforehand, and I seem to recall him saying he'd have taken the job if offered (funnily enough ended up quitting the Ajax job at the end of last season anyway).

Ronald de Boer backs brother Frank to succeed at Tottenham should he leave Ajax

Thank goodness for Levy's judgment in picking Poch instead.

F'king 'ell, what a load of bollox this is. Try and name the 6 ahead of him. He should be top 2 easily for what he's done at Spurs in this calendar year alone.

F365's top ten PL managers of 2016 - Football365

7) Mauricio Pochettino (Tottenham)
On the plus side: A title challenge from a New Year position of being fourth-favourites.
On the negative side: Having put themselves in a position to challenge, they finished third in a two-horse race.

On the plus side: They reached the Champions League.
On the negative side: They seriously underwhelmed and exited at the first hurdle, leaving themselves with an unwanted Europa League campaign.

On the plus side: They tied down virtually their whole squad to new contracts and never looked in real danger of losing key players.
On the negative side: They spent £30m on Moussa Sissoko and £17m on Vincent Janssen.

So he’s seventh.

F'king 'ell, what a load of bollox this is. Try and name the 6 ahead of him. He should be top 2 easily for what he's done at Spurs in this calendar year alone.

On the plus side: A title challenge from a New Year position of being fourth-favourites.
On the negative side: Having put themselves in a position to challenge, they finished third in a two-horse race.

On the negative side: They seriously underwhelmed and exited at the first hurdle, leaving themselves with an unwanted Europa League campaign.

On the plus side: They tied down virtually their whole squad to new contracts and never looked in real danger of losing key players.
On the negative side: They spent £30m on Moussa Sissoko and £17m on Vincent Janssen.

So he’s seventh.

Written by Sarah Winterburn , Woollich fan I believe . Wouldn't worry about it.

I don't know how anyone who said this would even dare show their face on here.

I can honestly say I never wanted Sherwood anywhere near to being our permanent coach or even caretaker, the backstabbing weasel.

My preference was LVG, look how he turned out at Utd :dembelelol:, then FdB, he's done well since leaving Ajax :pocheyes:

Just goes to show how much I know about football coaching.

Never wanted Mad Louis Disease, partly because I remember him going full retard at Barcelona. To give a bit of background, there were rumours of him losing the dressing room and mouthing off about what they said in private (the "dressing room pact" he goes on about here)

Here's the vid, below is a translation, I've tried to reflect his inimitable style, but it helps if you can appreciate how hilarious his Spanish sounds. "Siempre negatifa, nunca positifa" entered the language here after this

You are a bad man saying I break pact. I have not broken this pact because I have spoken with Rivaldo. And I have said “How do I have to explain” (journalists start laughing)... You are a very bad man! A very bad man! No, no, no, no, you are a very bad man!!! Breaking the dressing room pact! (more journalists laughing, expletive in Dutch). Always negatif! Always negatif! Never positif!!!

So he’s seventh.
"...they finished third in a two-horse race".

I'm guessing all of us have had to endure a Woolwich fan thinking they're hilarious by goading us with this meme, right? They go a bit quiet when you point out how they're the ones who completely wasted an 'easy' chance to win the league last season and their players only seemed motivated once they were mathematically out of the title race.

Fuck me, a journalist should be above that. Clearly not.

"On the negative side: They spent £30m on Moussa Sissoko and £17m on Vincent Janssen."

Did this bint write the article before or after Moussa Sissoko started performing rather well, and could well catch Ozil up on his number of assists this season?

Here's another fun way of looking at Spurs' first half of the season:

• Four points better off than last year, despite injuries and players having to find form.
  • (after 19 games) one point off Woolwich and level on points with City - so essentially joint highest among the teams having to play in Europe. Chelsea and Liverpool having the benefit of not doing so.

Back
Top Bottom