Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Daniel Storey over at F365, always likes a bit of a dig at us....

4) Mauricio Pochettino will be poached by a Spanish giant
It’s about this time that Sarah Winterburn digs me in the ribs to remind me that these predictions need to be bold if they’re to garner anything more than mild interest. It’s a shame really, because mild interest is very much my forte. Still, here goes:

I’ll start with a statistic which I consider to be a doozy: The last calendar year in which none of Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid or Barcelona changed their manager was 1972. With Zinedine Zidane the latest to be appointed in January 2016, we’re due a change at one or more of those clubs in 2017.

When they do come up, Mauricio Pochettino is going to be in demand (and that’s without discussing Paris St Germain or another club in the Premier League). He played in Spain, he managed in Spain, he knows Spain. There will be interest.

So that leaves us with Pochettino’s decision of whether to stay at Tottenham or take one of the biggest (and most well-paid) jobs in his industry. Sorry Spurs fans, and I do hope I’m wrong, but I can’t see him turning it down.

It’s about this time that Sarah Winterburn digs me in the ribs to remind me that these predictions need to be bold if they’re to garner anything more than mild interest. It’s a shame really, because mild interest is very much my forte. Still, here goes:

I’ll start with a statistic which I consider to be a doozy: The last calendar year in which none of Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid or Barcelona changed their manager was 1972. With Zinedine Zidane the latest to be appointed in January 2016, we’re due a change at one or more of those clubs in 2017.

When they do come up, Mauricio Pochettino is going to be in demand (and that’s without discussing Paris St Germain or another club in the Premier League). He played in Spain, he managed in Spain, he knows Spain. There will be interest.

So that leaves us with Pochettino’s decision of whether to stay at Tottenham or take one of the biggest (and most well-paid) jobs in his industry. Sorry Spurs fans, and I do hope I’m wrong, but I can’t see him turning it down.
To suggest Zidane, a man they nurtured for years to be their Manager and who has broken a club record run of games, is to be replaced basically looses all credibility. I like Storey, but he has just kicked himself in the nuts by suggesting Poch could replace Zidane.

Poch is good and because of this will always be linked, it's a good thing, not bad.

To suggest Zidane, a man they nurtured for years to be their Manager and who has broken a club record run of games, is to be replaced basically looses all credibility. I like Storey, but he has just kicked himself in the nuts by suggesting Poch could replace Zidane.

Poch is good and because of this will always be linked, it's a good thing, not bad.

Pochettino also seems like the sort of coach who likes to nurture his squad of players. I cannot see that happening at Real, where the side are pretty much a bought bunch of egotistical Galacticos. Surely he's a better fit for Barcelona or Atleti. Either way he's more than likely linked to one of those sides, it will cost them a fortune to buy out his contract. I see him sticking around with us especially as we've tied players down and won't be selling unless he says so. I think the likes of Storey and J Redknapp who think we are not a 'big' club need to look at the massive development that is the Northumberland Project to see the direction we are trying to take as a club.

Storey is a very good writer, but every now and again he is happy to take a sly dig at us. He even told me that his brother is a Spurs fan so why would he want to dig us out?

Pochettino also seems like the sort of coach who likes to nurture his squad of players. I cannot see that happening at Real, where the side are pretty much a bought bunch of egotistical Galacticos. Surely he's a better fit for Barcelona or Atleti. Either way he's more than likely linked to one of those sides, it will cost them a fortune to buy out his contract. I see him sticking around with us especially as we've tied players down and won't be selling unless he says so. I think the likes of Storey and J Redknapp who think we are not a 'big' club need to look at the massive development that is the Northumberland Project to see the direction we are trying to take as a club.

Storey is a very good writer, but every now and again he is happy to take a sly dig at us. He even told me that his brother is a Spurs fan so why would he want to dig us out?
Because his brother is a Spurs fan.

You never tried winding up your brother?

Don't listen to the media, don't listen to oppo fans. ONLY Manure on 80 come-back wins (in PL) have more than us, 79 come-back wins. Hardly a Characterless team, or a team that lacks bottle, quite the opposite i'd say!

At least he was nice enough to apologize...

Don't listen to the media, don't listen to oppo fans. ONLY Manure on 80 come-back wins (in PL) have more than us, 79 come-back wins. Hardly a Characterless team, or a team that lacks bottle, quite the opposite i'd say!

That's an interesting stat. I know we've become good at it under Poch, we don't give in, but I didn't realise we were already high up on the list over the years.

I think the suggestion was it could be any of the 3 and Real changed their manager last is all.

So that also applies to Manure too then?
Well instinctively, I'd imagine they have a greater number of wins than we do in the premier league era, meaning that they're in turn likely to have a high number of comeback wins.

Given that we haven't won as many games as United have over the Premier League era, then we've clearly had to come back from a deficit in a higher proportion of our victorious games than they have. It's not a stretch to assume from that that we've given away soft leads more than we should.

Well instinctively, I'd imagine they have a greater number of wins than we do in the premier league era, meaning that they're in turn likely to have a high number of comeback wins.

Given that we haven't won as many games as United have over the Premier League era, then we've clearly had to come back from a deficit in a higher proportion of our victorious games than they have. It's not a stretch to assume from that that we've given away soft leads more than we should.
so theirs isn't down to conceding stupid goals against teams they should be beating but it is for us.

Seeing they have been the greatest side for the past 2 decades shouldn't they be beating all other teams???

so theirs isn't down to conceding stupid goals against teams they should be beating but it is for us.

Seeing they have been the greatest side for the past 2 decades shouldn't they be beating all other teams???
Well the stats would indicate that of all the games United have won in the Premier League era, they've won a greater proportion of these 'efficiently', i.e. without being in a losing position at any point during the match, than we have with ours.

Let's also not forget that United will have won more games against the top teams (where losing at some point is more understandable) than we have over the last 20 years. This may also have contribute to their total comeback wins.

Overall, as I said before, I think it's a statistic that shows we've often made a meal over beating teams.

Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 as a supplement to that, I'm very proud that Spurs have been able to stage comebacks so frequently - but it does get a bit frustrating sometimes (as in the last two matches) when one might feel they could have avoided conceding so early/easily.

Still better than Woolwich and their terrible record of coming back from being down at half time.

Happy Monday, everyone.
Here's a gif of Poch hitting a Woolwich fan in the groin.

zjBEnwo.gif

Back
Top Bottom