Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lol, what? Has everybody forgotten about how we got Van der Vaart, or something?
:levylol::harrylol::vdvshh:

But Harry has said he wanted to get VDV on loan , which he thought was pretty unlikely, then somehow Levy got him on a permanent.
But the point being Harry wanted the player, the only surprise Levy sprang on him was being able to do a deal.

Hang on

Anything good we've done is lucky, but anything bad is terrible judgement/management?

Yet I don't believe the word "luck" appeared anywhere in the post you quoted...

Dele & Kane are the proverbial 'golden eggs'... Invest time and resources into the academy, sure, but expecting to pull such high-grade talent out of our arse for free or peanuts hardly represents a solid basis for a transfer strategy.

We generally make 3 kinds of transfers atm:

1. Low risk transfers with a clear position/role in mind that have previously played at a suitably high level... Rarely take long to adjust... Ironically, often arrive early in the window... On the all too rare occasion that we make such signings we/they do well; often improving the team (Scott Parker, Hugo, Wanyama, Toby, Jan, Eriksen).

2. Low risk, high reward (Dier, Dele, Chadli etc.) - Again no issue with this.

£. £££s.... You know the ones... £15m upwards... Often last-minute/window-wasting jiggery-pokery involved... Whether falling massively short or being 'prospect' players when 'now' players were needed on the pitch, such blunders (or ending up with nothing through too much brinkmanship) are so often what leaves us "short" at key moments in the season/evolution of our squads.

Our track record when it comes to #3 is appalling and represents the majority of our player expenditure over the last decade.

Hugo pulled a hammy in the 35th min and was replaced by Vorm
:kaneshh:

So with Vorm, we kept a cleansheet?

giphy.gif

Yet I don't believe the word "luck" appeared anywhere in the post you quoted...

Dele & Kane are the proverbial 'golden eggs'... Invest time and resources into the academy, sure, but expecting to pull such high-grade talent out of our arse for free or peanuts hardly represents a solid basis for a transfer strategy.

We generally make 3 kinds of transfers atm:

1. Low risk transfers with a clear position/role in mind that have previously played at a suitably high level... Rarely take long to adjust... Ironically, often arrive early in the window... On the all too rare occasion that we make such signings we/they do well; often improving the team (Scott Parker, Hugo, Wanyama, Toby, Jan, Eriksen).

2. Low risk, high reward (Dier, Dele, Chadli etc.) - Again no issue with this.

£. £££s.... You know the ones... £15m upwards... Often last-minute/window-wasting jiggery-pokery involved... Whether falling massively short or being 'prospect' players when 'now' players were needed on the pitch, such blunders (or ending up with nothing through too much brinkmanship) are so often what leaves us "short" at key moments in the season/evolution of our squads.

Our track record when it comes to #3 is appalling and represents the majority of our player expenditure over the last decade.

Just replace 'luck' for 'golden egg'

"It's not lucky, more like winning the lottery" LOL

Kane and Alli are 'golden eggs', we've spent 15 years getting to the point where the conditions for them to be in our team is right.

There are more right behind them that are maybe better.

The way I see it, Poch is still stinging after Chelsea&NewcastleGate last season. He's compensating this year by not pushing the lads too early, taking it easier in a way, he'll be raising merry hell in the last two/three months though. It's going to be an interesting end of season.

The way I see it, Poch is still stinging after Chelsea&NewcastleGate last season. He's compensating this year by not pushing the lads too early, taking it easier in a way, he'll be raising merry hell in the last two/three months though. It's going to be an interesting end of season.

that's an interesting thought. It's possible. We certainly haven't been pressing to the same degree as last season, but maybe we will go up through the gears as the season progresses.

that's an interesting thought. It's possible. We certainly haven't been pressing to the same degree as last season, but maybe we will go up through the gears as the season progresses.
I hope so, I really do. After all, Poch is on record with how much our capitulation in the last match of the season rankled with him. It would make some sort of sense, in my mind at least.

Back
Top Bottom