Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Like Wenger then? Over the years has had them playing sublime football, mostly with a limited budget but not winning much.

If we didn't have Poch and he was on the table and guaranteed the same for us would you take it?

Just interested... that's all

Wenger as our manager? I think he deserves an honorary knighthood for services to Tottenham Hotspur lately for trolling his own fans and destroying his own legacy, but I'd not want him anywhere near our club. There was a time when I'd have given a different answer but he's completely lost the plot in recent years. I also think he's a twat. Poch is a class, much happier with him.

It's true that in the modern era, because of the super teams with bottomless pockets, it's become the norm to think of the best managers as being the ones who win titles, but it's all bollocks when you consider how some leagues/clubs have such advantages over their rivals and managers inherit teams that are already set up to win.

Arsene Wenger had his best spell when he inherited a defense and he's never been able to replicate that himself. Is Brendan Rogers a world class manager? No, he is just managing in a one-team league.

Very good, it's just that AVB's style was boring as fuck...and did he make any player better?

It wasn't just boring, I think he "broke" football with how impotent he made the team look

I think Bale grew in spite of AVB, and would have been as good (if not better) under almost any manager at that stage in his career - all spurred on by confidence and growth from Redknapp. Just my opinion, though.

Wenger as our manager? I think he deserves an honorary knighthood for services to Tottenham Hotspur lately for trolling his own fans and destroying his own legacy, but I'd not want him anywhere near our club. There was a time when I'd have given a different answer but he's completely lost the plot in recent years. I also think he's a twat. Poch is a class, much happier with him.

It's true that in the modern era, because of the super teams with bottomless pockets, it's become the norm to think of the best managers as being the ones who win titles, but it's all bollocks when you consider how some leagues/clubs have such advantages over their rivals and managers inherit teams that are already set up to win.

Arsene Wenger had his best spell when he inherited a defense and he's never been able to replicate that himself. Is Brendan Rogers a world class manager? No, he is just managing in a one-team league.

Very true, although at some point 'a manager' has built that title winning team inherited, it hasn't just appeared. I find it interesting that we are happy with our manager and the way it is going – I certainly am but will we feel the same in ten years if we haven't won anything? For me as Spurs fan this is a better position we have been in for a long time and I love seeing how united, young and hungry we are. I am drawing a comparison with Wenger as until recently they have played exciting football, have had a tight purse due to the stadium but won nothing and now the fan want blood. Sure recent results for them have been awful but a section of their fans have wanted him out for over three years...

Sorry for trolling, not my intention but know it looks that way just interested in opinions

At the time Bale seemed to AVB was having an impact

Can't make sense of your post, but assume it's "Bale seemed to think".

If so, I think it would be natural for him to happy with his football, and the only timeline that existed was that he became better, and AVB was his manager - especially logical for him to priase AVB, as AVB was supposedly quite chummy with a core group of the team inclusive of Bale (whilst alienating others).

It's no different to the concept of Kane praising Poch, whereas it is also completely possible that Kane would have continued the scoring run he started under Sherwood, with Sherwood. Or another team.

Impossible to prove an alternative as a paradox, which is why it's just opinion on my side.

Very true, although at some point 'a manager' has built that title winning team inherited, it hasn't just appeared. I find it interesting that we are happy with our manager and the way it is going – I certainly am but will we feel the same in ten years if we haven't won anything? For me as Spurs fan this is a better position we have been in for a long time and I love seeing how united, young and hungry we are. I am drawing a comparison with Wenger as until recently they have played exciting football, have had a tight purse due to the stadium but won nothing and now the fan want blood. Sure recent results for them have been awful but a section of their fans have wanted him out for over three years...

Sorry for trolling, not my intention but know it looks that way just interested in opinions

One of the notable things about Woolwich fans is that they are fair weather supporters. Most of them have never known a situation where they were shit, or even mediocre. They recently won the FA cup a couple of times and yet they don't value that. If we win this year we will value it one heck of a lot more than they would. They are unlikely to get CL and yet will still be in Europe and actually a better European competition than we endured for years and years, and yet they clearly don't value that either. I personally think at Spurs there is less entitlement. Lots of ambition, but I don't see us expecting to win and feeling hard done by if we don't. I'm at a point where I expect to challenge, I believe we will continue to improve and that we will have silverware very soon, but that is about knowing how good a team and manager we have and that others don't realise how good we are yet, but not entitlement.

So if we haven't won anything in ten years? I guess it would depend on how things are in ten years, but I dare say we will have a more realistic and reasonable view on it than the likes of Woolwich fans. As you say, there were Wenger Out fans even in the years he was winning the FA cup. Truly pathetic. I find the idea that that could become us quite unthinkable and unlikely to be honest.

Read this eulogy of Pochettino

What if that meeting between Poch and Fergie was actually Fergie giving Poch solid advice on how to build a solid PL Winning Team?
alex-ferguson-pochettino_3464410.jpg

MLezO.gif

One of the notable things about Woolwich fans is that they are fair weather supporters. Most of them have never known a situation where they were shit, or even mediocre. They recently won the FA cup a couple of times and yet they don't value that. If we win this year we will value it one heck of a lot more than they would. They are unlikely to get CL and yet will still be in Europe and actually a better European competition than we endured for years and years, and yet they clearly don't value that either. I personally think at Spurs there is less entitlement. Lots of ambition, but I don't see us expecting to win and feeling hard done by if we don't. I'm at a point where I expect to challenge, I believe we will continue to improve and that we will have silverware very soon, but that is about knowing how good a team and manager we have and that others don't realise how good we are yet, but not entitlement.

So if we haven't won anything in ten years? I guess it would depend on how things are in ten years, but I dare say we will have a more realistic and reasonable view on it than the likes of Woolwich fans. As you say, there were Wenger Out fans even in the years he was winning the FA cup. Truly pathetic. I find the idea that that could become us quite unthinkable and unlikely to be honest.

You say that but there were a decent amount of people on here throwing about the idea that we should consider other managerial options when we had a rough patch just after the start of the season. Football was as bad as AVB apparently

We're still on an upward trajectory. When you're not making progress or winning cups, the knee jerkers and melters start coming out the woodwork. We're going to soon have fans who started supporting us under the exciting Redknapp period and they'll be as bad in terms of patience as alot of gooners

Last edited:
You say that but there were a decent amount of people on here throwing about the idea that we should consider other managerial options when we had a rough patch just after the start of the season. Football was as bad as AVB apparently

We're still on an upward trajectory. When you're not making progress or winning cups, the knee jerkers and melters start coming out the woodwork. We're going to soon have fans who started supporting us under the exciting Redknapp period and they'll be as bad in terms of patience as alot of gooners
We definitely had stuttering form at the start of the season. It had me worried for a bit.

But every season Pochettino has proven his adaptability by radically changing the team to find a working solution. First season we played 4-2-3-1 but it was clearing out the trash and giving a shot to our youngsters. Bentaleb + Mason in midfield. Second season it was 4-2-3-1 again, but with a lot of different faces. Mousa and Dier partnering in midfield, Lamela becoming a defensive-winger type. The press came together. This season injuries and form forced a different style, so Poch settled on a back-three with Rose and Walker overlapping, and Wanyama taking up the midfield spot.

There was a period where things weren't coming together, and at times our play did have similarities to AVB to be fair, but only in terms of being unable to break down a defensive minded team, though I think most understood Poch would overcome that in time. There were a few who didn't understand that, I agree, there always will be when a club goes through a rough patch, but can you imagine there being lots of voices like that while we won something? I find that unthinkable, personally.

If this is the disagree you object to.... What's so "random" about it?

I don't agree that Sherwood improved Bale... Would have thought that requires little to no explanation....?

Aren't you just being a tad childish?

''Tis only a little "x" buddy, it's not worth getting upset about , although I did hear that once you get one you instantly go on some kind of police register

If this is the disagree you object to.... What's so "random" about it?

I don't agree that Sherwood improved Bale... Would have thought that requires little to no explanation....?

Aren't you just being a tad childish?

The posts above are about AVB, not sure where you've got Sherwood from - he never even managed the team whilst Bale was at the club.

Back
Top Bottom