Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Away points against other top six rivals since start of 2015/16:

Liverpool: 18
Chelsea: 13
Man City: 11
Man Utd: 10
Tottenham: 8
Woolwich: 5

Funny how Liverpool regularly finish lowest out of the 6 yet they have the best away record.

Last edited:
Number of wins in the last 86 attempts... okay, so first of all that figure has been decided upon because '5 wins in the last 87' (which will undoubtedly be the case because why else stop at 86?) didn't quite stick the boot in enough.

5 away games against the top 6 per season (if we assume we're a part of that 'top 6'), so those 86 games are totalling the last 20 years. Slightly (but not much) less if we're not included in the top six for some of those years.

Forgive me, but I'm not going to attribute that long term statistic to what Poch is achieving/trying to achieve at Spurs. Also don't forget that a draw at, say, Stamford Bridge, the Emirates, or the Etihad is nothing to sniff at, and is rather conveniently ignored by that blunt figure.

You really can't see that this discussion is thrown out there by pundits to garner this exact reaction and undermine the excitement around our club? We beat Real Madrid less than three weeks ago!
Didn't even know the stat until yesterday. Where was the uproar when it was 5 wins in 85? Basically think what the media want them to think. Lemmings.

Didn't even know the stat until yesterday. Where was the uproar when it was 5 wins in 85? Basically think what the media want them to think. Lemmings.

So even if wE win every away game for the next say 3 years that stat will still be shit! :pochfacepalm:
I guess if we did win all our away games they would start talking about us not scoring from enough set pieces. Come to think of it when did we last score from a free kick? :pochbye:

Away points against other top six rivals since start of 2015/16:

Liverpool: 18
Chelsea: 13
Man City: 11
Man Utd: 10
Tottenham: 8
Woolwich: 5

Funny how Liverpool regularly finish lowest out of the 6 yet they have the best away record.
Liverpool lose regularly to mid table teams where as we don't. But we fail to take the points that we need to see us win the title.

Our top 6 away form are quite literally the points we are missing out on for the title.

I don’t really have a particular viewpoint. I accept that the club (and its vision for the future) has changed. I understand you don’t like it, but wailing about it on here isn’t going to change anything. If you don’t like it do something about it, or sever your connection with the club. If we’d have moved to Stratford that would have been it for me. If you feel so strongly about the direction that we’re heading, do the same. I’m not interested in your opinions btw. I’m happy with the way we’re going and you’re not, fair enough, but a defeat against woolwich isn’t going to change that. I think that if you’re relying on Tottenham to make you happy you’re in for a rough ride. I worked that out when I was 13.

The boards vision is to increase the club’s value through developing its infrastructure and to capitalise on that when this is realised. This has been known for close to 2 decades, they made no secret of this and I don’t begrudge them for it. However to subscribe to such a vision and to claim you are content with the direction of the club that has gone a decade without silverware when it has produced two of its most talented sides in that time is what is perplexing. To demonstrate such incredulity with respect to that fact and as to why some take issue with such a disconnect is what is truly bizare. If you wish to take such a passive cuckhold approach towards your club then good for you some choose not too.

Last edited:
The boards vision is to increase the club’s value through developing its infrastructure and to capitalise on that when this is realised. This has been known for close to 2 decades, they made no secret of this and I don’t begrudge them for it. However to subscribe to such a vision and to claim you are content with the direction of the club that has gone a decade without silverware when it has produced two of its most talented sides in that time is what is perplexing. To demonstrate such incredulity with respect to that fact and as to why some take issue with such a disconnect is what is truly bizare. If you wish to take such a passive cuckhold approach towards you club then good for you so choose not too.

We all want to win trophies, but as a season ticket holder I enjoy the football we play (most of the time) would you swap that for trophies and play mourhino football week in week out?

Dembele was outstanding in his first season, Vertonghen made PFA team of the year in his whilst Hugo was outstanding from the word go. Have these players progressed since then absolutely but to try claim that he didn’t inherit a side that had talent whose worst finish was 6th was simply absurd. And yes we were getting beaten by the top sides that’s what happens when a manager gets sacked and interim is put in place. If I am a troll so be it, I would readily take that than be the precious snowflakes that you and some others are when it comes to differing opinions.
There's differing opinions and then straight moronic options, your opinion falls under the latter

Funny that, as I believe a win at home against Leicester, away against West Ham, and home against Woolwich would have been enough to win the league in 15/16.

Take your pick.....beating Leicester away (then a major top 6 rival), Woolwich away (threw it away with 10 minutes left) Chelsea away (who finished TENTH and we threw away a two goal lead) and drawing at Utd would have seen us win it.

Our record against the current top 6 rivals away (bar City) is an abyss of dropped points

Take your pick.....beating Leicester away (then a major top 6 rival), Woolwich away (threw it away with 10 minutes left) Chelsea away (who finished TENTH and we threw away a two goal lead) and drawing at Utd would have seen us win it.

Our record against the current top 6 rivals away (bar City) is an abyss of dropped points

That's 10 per cent of the games then....quite a lot

Every team could say the same

You're fully entitled to your opinion of course, but I'm genuinely stunned that any Spurs fan would entertain the idea of replacing Poch right now. From what I can see, he's genuinely building a long term philosophy and back-bone for this club to continue improving and move on to bigger and better things. This could never happen overnight. I also feel that he demonstrates a genuine passion for this club at a level that I don't recall seeing from any manager previously (in my lifetime anyhow). He is a young manager, improving himself all the time and keen to prove himself. Why on earth anyone would want to boot him out halfway through the project, when there could be SO much more to come, to bring in another manager that might just see it as "another job" for a couple of years, is beyond me. Many have already said it, but I really feel he could be our Ferguson. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him just because there hasn't been instant silverware.

Two sentences which demonstrate the disconnect here. I keep seeing this statement and it just demonstrates that it’s a mindset that is divorced from the realities of the modern game.

There is no long term philosophy in the game today, not when the average tenure of a league manager is just over 1 year. The last 2 title wining managers have lost their jobs in the following season and Conte is one of the favourites to lose his this season. Ronald Koeman was supposedly the man to head the Everton ‘project’ and was talked about being a Barcelona manager in the future. A couple of months into the season he was gone.

Poch like any other manager is only one bad spell from losing his job, Christ Martin Jol didn’t even have that and lost his. There is no ‘project’ here, it is a fatuous buzzword that is completely meaningless. These so called projects are jettisoned at the first sign of a problem.

All managers know their vulnerability and I have absolutely no doubt that Pochettinho would take the opportunity to join a club that is above us in the footballing hierarchy, he would be a fool not too. He isn’t a young manager, he is soon 46, the same age as Pep and only a couple of years younger than the likes of Conte and Simeone and no one states they are young managers.

He has been a manager for close to a decade and the opportunity to manage an elite club doesn’t present itself too often and despite his affection for us he isn’t going to turn it down.

When people make such long term statements what you are essentially saying is the club possesses the ability to retain its best personnel and that we can compete on an even level with the likes of Real, Barcelona and Bayen which anyone outside of our supporter-base knows this is patently untrue.

Listen I’m not calling for him to go but if he did choose to and we could bring i the likes of Anchelotti or Simeone then I would be fairly happy as we have upgraded on him.

Last edited:
The boards vision is to increase the club’s value through developing its infrastructure and to capitalise on that when this is realised. This has been known for close to 2 decades, they made no secret of this and I don’t begrudge them for it. However to subscribe to such a vision and to claim you are content with the direction of the club that has gone a decade without silverware when it has produced two of its most talented sides in that time is what is perplexing. To demonstrate such incredulity with respect to that fact and as to why some take issue with such a disconnect is what is truly bizare. If you wish to take such a passive cuckhold approach towards you club then good for you so choose not too.
There's more holes in that post than a Swiss cheese. What direction are we going in then, backwards? By upgrading the manager we will solve all of this then? Do you honestly believe that fans that are happy with what the managers doing and trying to achieve don't want to win silverware, of course we do but you make it sound like it's all so easy. Kick the manager out, spend a shit load of money and job done, fucking easy peasy innit.
Two sentences which demonstrate the disconnect here. I keep seeing this statement and it just demonstrates that it’s a mindset that is divorced from the realities of the modern game.

There is no long term philosophy in the game today, not when the average tenure of a league manager is just over 1 year. The last 2 title wining managers have lost their jobs in the following season and Conte is one of the favourites to lose his this season. Ronald Koeman was supposedly the man to head the Everton ‘project’ and was talked about being a Barcelona manager in the future. A couple of months into the season he was gone.

Poch like any other manager is only one bad spell from losing his job, Christ Martin Jol didn’t even have that and lost his. There is no ‘project’ here, it is a fatuous buzzword that is completely meaningless. This so called projects are jettisoned at the first sign of a problem.

All managers know their vulnerability and I have absolutely no doubt that Pochettinho would take the opportunity to join a club that is above us in the footballing hierarchy, he would be a fool not too. He isn’t a young manager, he is soon 46, the same age as Pep and only a couple of years younger than the likes of Conte and Simeone and no one states they are young managers.

He has been a manager for close to a decade and the opportunity to manage an elite club doesn’t present itself too often and despite his affection for us he isn’t going to turn it down.

When people make such long term statements what you are essentially saying is the club possesses the ability to retain its best personnel and that we can compete on an even level with the likes of Real, Barcelona and Bayen which anyone outside of our supporter-base knows this is patently untrue.

Listen I’m not calling for him to go but if he did choose to and we could bring i the likes of Anchelotti or Simeone then I would be fairly happy as we have upgraded on him.
Load of bollocks, we have to have a plan and long term strategy as at this moment in time we cannot compete with the 5 clubs that have bigger revenues and as such can spend way more than us. Your answer it seems is keep changing the manager until we get it right. So if Simeone comes in next year and we win the Caraboa cup and finish 7th you're going to be has happy as a pig in shit.

Back
Top Bottom