Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

totally agree

imo challenging for the PL, and getting to the latter stages of the CL, would show solid, sustainable progress, and worth a lot more than FA or League cups. And if we could actually challenge for the CL, then that would be sensational seeing as how we screwed up so badly 3 years ago.

btw, I think that if we can be lucky enough to avoid PSG, we can progress in CL. Citeh don't scare me unduly. We'd have our players back from injury by then (Vic, Toby, Lamela). I really think we can compete with Barcelona. Seriously.

Here is the other bit i don't get, suddenly the media is declaring ' spurs have to win something'

Yes, fair point so we are no different to any club in that regard but the ' must win something' tag is aimed at us as our current form is perceived to be a temporary thing until we go back to our mid table form of 20 years ago.

The media are idiots if they believe this and are doing Poch a massive disservice as they are not listening ( or don't want to listen) to what he is saying, we are laying foundations for the long term, sustained success of the club, it's why we are building a stadium to allow us to compete at the top, it's why our training facilities are the envy of most around Europe, it's where talented youngsters today will become the next harry Kane, as young English players are given a chance at our club. Trophies will arrive but who knows when? And if we do achieve long term success under poch then that will be the perfect response to the idiots that infest the media
Also, many that spout "have to win something" don't even have us down for a top 4 finish this season (certainly didn't for the past two years). They are backing City, Utd and Chelsea to win something, so how on earth can they say Spurs have to win something whilst not backing the club to win anything. I've no problem with these commentators saying we must win something whilst backing our club to do so, as this is logical.

Really interesting article about transferring managers, how much worth they can bring to a club, £2m spent bringing Pochettino has probably been the best £2m Levy has spent during his time as our chairman.

Too easy to say just back Pochettino.

To me we need to know if he wants other players of a certain quality and also if he is prepared to get the attacking options we clearly need.

I am comfortable with this season apart from the West Ham cup loss. I knew it said so much about us.

For now we need more consistency and more from our better players and 2/3 additions in January.

Plus Wanyama back soon.

Here is the other bit i don't get, suddenly the media is declaring ' spurs have to win something'

Yes, fair point so we are no different to any club in that regard but the ' must win something' tag is aimed at us as our current form is perceived to be a temporary thing until we go back to our mid table form of 20 years ago.

The media are idiots if they believe this and are doing Poch a massive disservice as they are not listening ( or don't want to listen) to what he is saying, we are laying foundations for the long term, sustained success of the club, it's why we are building a stadium to allow us to compete at the top, it's why our training facilities are the envy of most around Europe, it's where talented youngsters today will become the next harry Kane, as young English players are given a chance at our club. Trophies will arrive but who knows when? And if we do achieve long term success under poch then that will be the perfect response to the idiots that infest the media

They are not idiots, they know the realities of the modern game, our postion in the food chain and the fact that is team will be broken apart in the next couple of years. They don’t expect us to return to the postion of that in m the ‘90s that would be massive underachievement on our part. What they expect us to do is revert to a team that finishes 5-6th and one that participates in the Europa league as that is our natural position. When supporters talk about long term foundations then I’m sorry then you are denying realities of how the game is now.

Did he just say we're out of the race?
That’s how the media are reporting it....

Absolutely stupid thing to say / suggest with 6 months of the season left. Especially given we have not played Shity yet.

He does not get much wrong but this is wrong conceding the title at this stage.

That’s how the media are reporting it....

Absolutely stupid thing to say / suggest with 6 months of the season left. Especially given we have not played Shity yet.

He does not get much wrong but this is wrong conceding the title at this stage.

Would be an odd thing to say, but we don't know how that fits in conjunction with what he said to the players in the dressing room...

Or maybe he just thinks we'd be better off with the spotlight off us.

Would be an odd thing to say, but we don't know how that fits in conjunction with what he said to the players in the dressing room...

That's how I see it. Privately I'm sure Poch is seething at the performance and our intensity for a lot of this season but I don't think it's wrong to attempt to downplay in public. We need to get back to our normal level and once we get the performances back to standard wins will come and we'll see if we can get close to City.

Right now there's no point looking up at City without getting our own house in order.

Tbh after today I think we are out of it

That's been my gut reaction today, but we considered ourselves 'in the mix' with a 7 point gap last year and it's still comparatively much earlier in the season and still lots of head-to-heads to play between the 'Big 6'.

Not saying we ought to be seen as contenders from the outside; but I'm happy to keep the faith for a bit longer.

My thoughts exactly. The less focus on us for the next month or so, the better in my opinion. There's been a lot of hype about us (a lot of it absolutely fair and genuinely exciting, and in conjunction with winning the Group of Death) but it makes every misstep land with a thud in the media - and you could sense that with the NLD result coming off the back of everyone saying we've overtaken the scum.
Sadly, I'm inclined to agree. But that's more of a compliment to Man City than a dig at us. Plus we all thought this would be the case with the Wembley factor anyway.

Mourinho spends his career in England constantly claiming his team are underdogs, everyone is better than his team, arse are the real favourites etc. - master of mind games. Wenger claims top 4 is the goal - pragmatist who understands the need for CL football in the modern game. Poch says the title isn't the primary goal - look at this cunt, conceding yet another trophy.

:pocheyes:

Our home form is killing us. Played 7 and scored 9. Goal difference +4. 12 points from possible 21. That’s nowhere near league winning form.
A problem the players and Poch need to solve.

So now laughable to say we are competing with City this season.
These 2 games put the final nails in that coffin. 5 points dropped when they have dropped 2 in all 12 of their fixtures.

Bright point - Our away points match our home points having played less games - but if that falls away we are going to be struggling to make Top 4.

Our home form is killing us. Played 7 and scored 9. Goal difference +4. 12 points from possible 21. That’s nowhere near league winning form.

These 2 games put the final nails in that coffin. 5 points dropped when they have dropped 2 in all 12 of their fixtures.

Bright point - Our away points match our home points having played less games - but if that falls away we are going to be struggling to make Top 4.

They're on pace to shatter the PL record. We've dropped some needless points, but you can't argue that other teams have, and normally do, as Well. You can't really hold anyone accountable for not matching a record setting pace. We still have them to play, all we can do is hope that they cool off and fall back to a reasonable pace over the season.

Point proven again.

I think Man City have made it extremely difficult this season because of their unbelievable start and that we are betwixt the standards we need to be and where we are at.

A lot depends on how Pochettino sees it but in my reality he will or should already be planning for the squad he is likely to have next summer.

It will be 2/3 players light of what we have right now.

We will cruise top 4, we'll have another good run over Christmas and end miles clear of Woolwich and liverpool and probably chelsea as well. I'm not worried about that at all.

City just aren't going to drop c. 20 points.

Back
Top Bottom