Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They're on pace to shatter the PL record. We've dropped some needless points, but you can't argue that other teams have, and normally do, as Well. You can't really hold anyone accountable for not matching a record setting pace. We still have them to play, all we can do is hope that they cool off and fall back to a reasonable pace over the season.

Our home form is piss poor.

Not saying we should match City overall - but at home we are way behind them in terms of GD and points earned at home.

And players and management will know they have to do something about it or risk missing out in Top 4. I think they will accept that.

Not a blame game. Just fact.

More important players than N'Koudou. Rose and at least one of Alli, Eriksen, Alderweireld etc..
My biggest worry is not getting top 4 this season and Alli then saying Adios after his superagent sets up a deal. I think Poch and the new stadium may be a factor in the other big guns staying for next season and really going for it. Top 4 will be a huge factor...

On Pochettino I simply say this and it is like us as a club and very much the same with our top players, there is still that last push into being aa good as the pundits think. Indeed as good as many posters on here think.

Pochettino publicly speaks of being happy at the club. Of accepting our way of doing transfers and conducting our business. He talks of Kane in grandiose terms and has players he pretty much plays if fit.

But as good as he is and thinks our players are, I think he needs and deserves even better quality to coach. How much better I don't know. Who those additional players sbould be I don't know but I think he does need them.

So for me it is three or four things. Does he recognise the lack of depth in the squad or does he feel the quality is there but not the consistency? If he thinks we lack something what is it and lastly does he have enough, even with it to push us over the finishing line? Does it indeed matter?

Now I think they are key questions but I also think that unless FIFA or UEFA do something about the likes of those clubs who can spend with gay abandon and flout football fair play or whatever misnomer it may be called, such questions as mine become mute.

Pochettino has shown he is an excellent manager but has he like some of our players achieved peak performance? Should he have been psychologically able to reel in Leicester when even objectively we did have the better players, could he have provided the added value to get us past Chelsea by trying different ways of taking us to the summit? I am just asking if within all his undoubted talent he has missed the boat or will he prevail in similar circumstances having learned any lessons next time?

It is easy to say he will do this and that but he has still won nothing as yet and until such time the question will or could be does he have it in him or does he need slightly better resources to properly and fairly have that question answered?

And as I said does it matter?

Last edited:
On Pochettino I simply say this and it is like us as a club and very much the same with our top players, there is still that last push into being aa good as the pundits think. Indeed as good as many posters on here think.

Pochettino publicly speaks of being happy at the club. Of accepting our way of doing transfers and conducting our business. He talks of Kane in grandiose terms and has players he pretty much plays if fit.

But as good as he is and thinks our players are, I think he needs and deserves even better quality to coach. How much better I don't know. Who those additional players sbould be I don't know but I think he does need them.

So for me it is three or four things. Does he recognise the lack of depth in the squad or does he feel the quality is there but not the consistency? If he thinks we lack something what is it and lastly does he have enough, even with it to push us over the finishing line? Does it indeed matter?

Now I think they are key questions but I also think that unless FIFA or UEFA do something about the likes of those clubs who can spend with gay abandon and flout football fair play or whatever misnomer it may be called, such questions as mine become mute.

Pochettino has shown he is an excellent manager but has he like some of our players achieved peak performance? Should he have been psychologically able to reel in Leicester when even objectively we did have the better players, could he have provided the added value to get us past Chelsea by trying different ways of taking us to the summit? I am just asking if within all his undoubted talent he has missed the boat or will he prevail in similar circumstances having learned any lessons next time?

It is easy to say he will do this and that but he has still won nothing as yet and until such time the question will or could be does he have it in him or does he need slightly better resources to properly and fairly have that question answered?

...You lost me.:dembele:

None of what you said matters and was a waste of time for you to write it.

Man City's start to the season could be held up as parallel to that 13 game winning streak Chelsea put together last year:

They could revert to the mean, or even drop to a slightly poorer form than us/others - but those points will be enough to carry them through to the title. And bear in mind that Chelsea were kinda pants until they started winning.

We can do our own thing now and potentially go back under the radar. The media are currently busy trying to reposition themselves as Pep aficionados after slagging him off last year, while also trying to justify heaping praise on a team who have simply bought the title (again).

A better run of form, a fit squad, and I think we'll all be back on the Spurs hype train quickly enough. That magnificent stadium and the south stand rising higher every day doesn't hurt either.

Didn't expect it to be great this season at Wemley but the current situation is worse than imagined imv
Twice since 2011/12 (as far back as I've looked) we've taken more than 2 points per match at home. Last year and 2011/12.

Every other season we've averaged 1.7-1.8, which is our current pace. So tell me, if you didn't expect home form to be good this season, why our typical home form is dire straights to you? Particularly when that home form includes our european exploits?

Talking out your arse. We've a single loss at home, to Chelsea. Been unfortunate to draw 3 we should have won on chances, but at least we did draw.

Twice since 2011/12 (as far back as I've looked) we've taken more than 2 points per match at home. Last year and 2011/12.

Every other season we've averaged 1.7-1.8, which is our current pace. So tell me, if you didn't expect home form to be good this season, why our typical home form is dire straights to you? Particularly when that home form includes our european exploits?

Talking out your arse. We've a single loss at home, to Chelsea. Been unfortunate to draw 3 we should have won on chances, but at least we did draw.

If you really believe that Poch is sitting there thinking we are doing well at home and he is happy with points to date and goal difference then crack on. Especially when you look at the teams we have dropped points to.

He wanted us to win the league this year, so comparing our home form with a number of seasons where we didn’t win the league won’t be his metric believe me.

Didn't expect it to be great this season at Wemley but the current situation is worse than imagined imv

There was a poll on here pre-season where about 50% thought we would win the league. And the majority said Top 3.
So think it’s fair to say most thought we would be performing better at home than we currently are.

Hopefully as the season goes on and teams chase wins rather than draws we will get more space to play in and won’t be facing 10 players behind the ball.

At the moment we are far too predictable when teams defend deep.

If you really believe that Poch is sitting there thinking we are doing well at home and he is happy with points to date and goal difference then crack on. Especially when you look at the teams we have dropped points to.

He wanted us to win the league this year, so comparing our home form with a number of seasons where we didn’t win the league won’t be his metric believe me.
The point wasn't whether or not Poch was happy. Arc said he expected a bad season at "home" in Wembley, but this was worse than expected. I simply asked why, if he expected a bad season at home, is a "standard" home season per recent years so terrible?

The point in the main is that everyone is overreacting a bit to the last result, a match we clearly deserved to win and were unfortunate not to.

The real worrying problem is we've played 3 "big" matches this season so far against Chelsea, United, and Woolwich - and we've lost all 3.

The point wasn't whether or not Poch was happy. Arc said he expected a bad season at "home" in Wembley, but this was worse than expected. I simply asked why, if he expected a bad season at home, is a "standard" home season per recent years so terrible?

The point in the main is that everyone is overreacting a bit to the last result, a match we clearly deserved to win and were unfortunate not to.

The real worrying problem is we've played 3 "big" matches this season so far against Chelsea, United, and Woolwich - and we've lost all 3.

I think Arc was referring to the points and goals scored scenario. We look flat I think.
I could shut my eyes and see where Trippier is most games.

Surprisingly I think we look best when Dele or Eriksen get out wide but the majority of the time we are too busy trying to play through the middle.
See what happens over the next 6 home games.

But with over a third of our home games played and a GD of +4 with +3 of those coming from one game isn’t great home form however you look at it.

How is he so blind to this?

No holding midfielder is asking for trouble. Dier has to play midfield, that either means he has to trust Foyth or play a back 4.

Eriksen and Dele in shocking form.
Wake up Poch.

How is he so blind to this?

No holding midfielder is asking for trouble. Dier has to play midfield, that either means he has to trust Foyth or play a back 4.

Eriksen and Dele in shocking form.
Wake up Poch.
I normally try to not harp on it too much, but I think we're seeing the effects of having adequate depth in certain parts of the pitch.

I feel that the boys just look tired at the moment and it really isn't too surprising why, especially up top. Dele is way off his pace and Eriksen just looks like a shadow of himself really, but it doesn't appear that they aren't trying, possibly just tired.

I'm not sure what else Poch can do at the moment beside try and change our setup a little and hopefully get a good result that puts us mentally on the right tracks again. I'm confident that he'll fix it, but I think that it's time for Levy to step up this winter and give him the resources that he needs to shock the system and give him a few more options.

Back
Top Bottom