Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Maybe it’s just we don’t have much else. I mean yeh Lamela should be playing, maybe Kane should be rested but in midfield our depth is average, it’s not like there are any obvious remedies.

For me it’s the midfield that is the issue and it’s hard to see who fixes that.

Agree it's the midfield, but I think (hope) there are fixes, but if we aren't going to buy, Poch has to be brave. Dier should not be anywhere near this midfield ever again, he's not got the attributes to carry it off in this league now. Dembele on a very good day, in a CM3, as an L8, for 60 minutes, maybe, but even he needs to be phased out completely, we can't rely on him any more.

If Wanyama can recover, then the group should be Wanyama, Eriksen, Winks, Alli, Amos, Skipp. Play a CM3 more often. Players like Wanyama, Amos and Skip are all dynamic, tenacious, busy cunts who are also technically proficient, can play football. Winks, Eriksen, Alli, Amos (also) can play the lateral 8 roles.

We were fine in many respects and then bang, against Watford you could see the start of yesterday's loss and lack of cohesion.

We weren't fine and haven't been for a while. Our midfield situation has been gradually deteriorating for three years, was rescued by the signing of Wanyama, then deteriorated again last season and until we get to the point we are at now, where Poch is like a guy hanging onto the past, not wanting to let go of the notion of what Dembele was or the basic but competent job Dier once did.

Watford we were actually much more cohesive. We had a dodgy ten minutes, but controlled the rest of that game, the only game this season where we kept the opponent to below XG of 1.

Our midfield has options and is right up there with most but not playing with decisiveness and fluidity. It needs Eriksen to be dropped and for others to be better. Dembele has given the ball away over 5 times at least in our last 2 games for example. Not good enough.

So now is the time to consider the merits of Lamela over Eriksen, although a different type of player, to give Winks a run maybe, to recognise Alli's importance and for Sissoko to come back into the running, especially when we are away from home.

Eriksen, even in this shitstorm, is still the most important player, we need to stop playing this silly bollocks 442 diamond, get him playing as an 8 or 10/8 hybrid that he was playing, it's Dier and Dembele the need to be dropped, they are fucking turgid, slowing everything down and offering very little protection either. We need to get some dynamism and tempo back into our midfield.

Lamela is not a midfielder. But I think he should be starting in the role we bought him for Roma in, as a wide right forward in a 433, where he scored about 17 goals I think. He also presses and works hard without the ball, something that we need to get back.

And the other biggy is to drop Kane to the bench for 2 or 3 games and play Son or even give Llorente confidence and a chance. At least with Son you will get better running off the ball if not Kane's strength.

Or even play Alli as a false 9, like Firminho does for Liverpool. He's got the presence and the gift of timing his box activity.

Lets not go mad.

What we are seeing and we must remember this (yesterday aside) is a team that have become susceptible to set pieces. That is solvable.

Up to yesterday we have been okay box to box, with only the odd few minutes in games being taken away from our control.

I see the issue as confidence and Kane not being at the present time the leader he has become.

We need competition to make players improve and if that also brings the player you talk of then great.

And we must buy another striker im January or next summer.

Its really not that simple. In all our games, bar Watford, we have been shambolic in midfield, allowing teams far too many situations and chances - even Newcastle - and this is not a new phenomena, some of our games back end of last season were the same. Newcastle, ManU and Liverpool all wasted great situations against us.

We don't need to buy another striker, what top quality striker would we be able to afford, ie the fee and the wages, to convince to come here to sit on the bench and watch Kane play every week. We have Son and Alli who could do the job. Or we buy someone like Fekir for 45m who we can keep happy because he can play as an Am/ACM and as a 9.

If we spend serious money it has to be on a quality (or massive potential quality) midfielder because that group is in serious trouble. Dier isn't one. Dembele is fucked. Wanyama may be fucked. Winks is an 8 at best and as much as I like him, I'm not sure he's ever going to be top drawer. That leaves Eriksen and Alli, and they are hybrids, who are sometimes needed as AM's.

Liverpool’s dismantling of Spurs yesterday, looked like a slow motion train wreck, caused by human error.
The human responsible - Mauricio Pochettino. The error - being too soft on player ineptness.

Liverpool won the match with 16 men, 5 of whom were wearing white jerseys. Some of our players actually appeared to go rogue and play for the enemy. Dier in particular was one of the worst culprits, hardly landing a successful pass. Yet Poch kept him in the game for over 80 minutes! Even a rookie knows that subbing early, in this situation is key.

So Poch needs to explain the following to his individual players. Passing the ball acurately is a prerquisite for the job and should have been taught back in the academy days. This is now the big league and not the time to be figuring out how to pass the ball to a teammate. If a player cannot master that skill, he simply cannot represent Spurs. That’s all there is to it.

Show some tough love Poch!
You’ll see the standard of Spurs passing improve exponentially and guess what....we’ll win many more games.

Agree it's the midfield, but I think (hope) there are fixes, but if we aren't going to buy, Poch has to be brave. Dier should not be anywhere near this midfield ever again, he's not got the attributes to carry it off in this league now. Dembele on a very good day, in a CM3, as an L8, for 60 minutes, maybe, but even he needs to be phased out completely, we can't rely on him any more.

If Wanyama can recover, then the group should be Wanyama, Eriksen, Winks, Alli, Amos, Skipp. Play a CM3 more often. Players like Wanyama, Amos and Skip are all dynamic, tenacious, busy cunts who are also technically proficient, can play football. Winks, Eriksen, Alli, Amos (also) can play the lateral 8 roles.

We weren't fine and haven't been for a while. Our midfield situation has been gradually deteriorating for three years, was rescued by the signing of Wanyama, then deteriorated again last season and until we get to the point we are at now, where Poch is like a guy hanging onto the past, not wanting to let go of the notion of what Dembele was or the basic but competent job Dier once did.

Watford we were actually much more cohesive. We had a dodgy ten minutes, but controlled the rest of that game, the only game this season where we kept the opponent to below XG of 1.

Eriksen, even in this shitstorm, is still the most important player, we need to stop playing this silly bollocks 442 diamond, get him playing as an 8 or 10/8 hybrid that he was playing, it's Dier and Dembele the need to be dropped, they are fucking turgid, slowing everything down and offering very little protection either. We need to get some dynamism and tempo back into our midfield.

Lamela is not a midfielder. But I think he should be starting in the role we bought him for Roma in, as a wide right forward in a 433, where he scored about 17 goals I think. He also presses and works hard without the ball, something that we need to get back.

Or even play Alli as a false 9, like Firminho does for Liverpool. He's got the presence and the gift of timing his box activity.

Its really not that simple. In all our games, bar Watford, we have been shambolic in midfield, allowing teams far too many situations and chances - even Newcastle - and this is not a new phenomena, some of our games back end of last season were the same. Newcastle, ManU and Liverpool all wasted great situations against us.

We don't need to buy another striker, what top quality striker would we be able to afford, ie the fee and the wages, to convince to come here to sit on the bench and watch Kane play every week. We have Son and Alli who could do the job. Or we buy someone like Fekir for 45m who we can keep happy because he can play as an Am/ACM and as a 9.

If we spend serious money it has to be on a quality (or massive potential quality) midfielder because that group is in serious trouble. Dier isn't one. Dembele is fucked. Wanyama may be fucked. Winks is an 8 at best and as much as I like him, I'm not sure he's ever going to be top drawer. That leaves Eriksen and Alli, and they are hybrids, who are sometimes needed as AM's.

None of this stuff matters mate. Poch has lost the dressing room. He’ll be off at the end of the season and our powder puff players will be picked up by the likes of Bournemouth, Burnley and Watford. Maybe Kane will stay, but by the end of the season no one will want him either. I see 30,000 rattling around the new stadium with the half and half scarf sellers cleaning up. This era is over - prepare for mid-table. If the players won’t play what have you got? It’s nothing less than our new fans deserve, but I can’t see them in it for the long haul. Expect dwindling attendances - modern fans don’t buy season tickets to see us lose as Spurs tickets on twitter has proved. Inter Milan tickets anyone? You can’t give them away.

Last edited:
In the last 119 games under Poch we have lost 19. Seen that posted on here elsewhere today. How many more do you think we could win if you were in charge Marc Karstaedt ??
Yeah that was me that posted that in the managers thread! I think for us that stat is very good considering what’s gone on in the past with other managers! Of the top of my head only city last season and them previously plus the Newcastle debacle is the only games where we’ve been out played and out thought. Other 16 you win,you lose.

bk_spur bk_spur I see you think my post is funny. It wasn’t meant to be. Our status in the top 3 isn’t a given. It will all come tumbling down soon. I hope you stick around when it does. In fact I hope everyone who’s jumped on the bandwagon sticks around. Unfortunately, I can’t see it. I bet those overseas ST holders are hurriedly sorting out fishing trips or romantic assignations, and I don’t blame you fellas. Who wants to watch a team playing like shit for $2000 a year and a return plane ticket to Appaloosa?

Last edited:
Liverpool’s dismantling of Spurs yesterday, looked like a slow motion train wreck, caused by human error.
The human responsible - Mauricio Pochettino. The error - being too soft on player ineptness.

Liverpool won the match with 16 men, 5 of whom were wearing white jerseys. Some of our players actually appeared to go rogue and play for the enemy. Dier in particular was one of the worst culprits, hardly landing a successful pass. Yet Poch kept him in the game for over 80 minutes! Even a rookie knows that subbing early, in this situation is key.

So Poch needs to explain the following to his individual players. Passing the ball acurately is a prerquisite for the job and should have been taught back in the academy days. This is now the big league and not the time to be figuring out how to pass the ball to a teammate. If a player cannot master that skill, he simply cannot represent Spurs. That’s all there is to it.

Show some tough love Poch!
You’ll see the standard of Spurs passing improve exponentially and guess what....we’ll win many more games.

100% correct

Spurs is the only club Ive ever heard so many fans blame a chairman for shit performances.......

....yet praise the manager when the SAME players are wiping the floor with Real Madrid.

He´s Magic You Know, and when he´s not, its Levys fault

Last edited:
100% correct

Spurs is the only club Ive ever heard so many fans blame a chairman for shit performances.......

....yet praise the manager when the SAME players are wiping the floor with Real Madrid.

He´s Magic You Know, and when he´s not, its Levys fault
Crickey - this troll is now going after Poch. Every thread I open I see this maggot slating our players and manager

Flush him down the toilet once a for all

None of this stuff matters mate. Poch has lost the dressing room. He’ll be off at the end of the season and our powder puff players will be picked up by the likes of Bournemouth, Burnley and Watford. Maybe Kane will stay, but by the end of the season no one will want him either. I see 30,000 rattling around the new stadium with the half and half scarf sellers cleaning up. This era is over - prepare for mid-table. If the players won’t play what have you got? It’s nothing less than our new fans deserve, but I can’t see them in it for the long haul. Expect dwindling attendances - modern fans don’t buy season tickets to see us lose as Spurs tickets on twitter has proved. Inter Milan tickets anyone? You can’t give them away.

The funny thing is the level of contradiction....as you said earlier, no one will engage in valid critique of Poch.
That is telling. There is no counter, because its not Levy making poor subs after 70 minutes....

When teams do shite, its generally the managers that get let go. If Poch took Spurs to the Champo....

THIS IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN ITS JUST AN EXAMPLE: CALM DOWN!!!! CALM DOWN!!!
I DO NOT THINK THIS WILL HAPPEN!!!!!!

....then would people on here expect Levy to go, and Poch to stay?

Just last week I got cunted for saying Eriksen isnt world class, last year it was Dele, I get cunted for slating Kane....
A team packed full of world class talent then. But Levy only signs crap.

How so? When is it Poch not getting the best out the team, and when is it a poor, knackered squad?
People saying our players are doubting the clubs ambition and playing shit....that is in fact losing the dressing room then. But its not on the manager?

Back
Top Bottom