Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who says we have a divine right to something? What is actually being said is that when we have this level of talent available- which negates the financial disparity between us and the elite it’s only right that there should be expectations to capitalise on that. Clubs like A. Madrid and Dortmund did just that we haven’t - and not only that some to revel in this supposed glory period. I guess it’s too soon for some to see this but give it a few years and there will be plenty who will acknowledge the opportunity missed.

I notice that the same fans who want us to win trophies are the same fans who want us to dismiss the Europa League or League Cup and focus on other things.

Atletico Madrid is looking more and more like a stars aligning freak league win by the season. Dortmund won the league when Bayern were at the weakest they'd been in the last 10 years and the Bundesliga was genuinely competitive. I mean, you might as well have added Wolfsburg to that list. Surprised you didn't bring Leicester up either.

It's strange how different some fans can be I guess. I'll look back at it as a great time with a great young manager and an exciting young squad. I don't think we've been good enough to win the league. If we were, we'd have won it.

Saying that, 16/17 was a great opportunity and I don't really think we could have done a lot more. We were beaten by a record breaking team and I think our points tally would have won the league in many previous Premier League seasons - but it also had an air of "White Hart Lane is ours and we aren't losing here this season" - to expect to improve on that away from WHL was always going to be a tough ask.

I agree with some of what you say, but I think you overstate the quality of our squad the last 3 seasons.

I don't think any other manager would have got this bunch of players to finish top four 3 seasons in a row.
And so long as we're run as the business model ENIC have us to be I think he's the best man for the job.

But I respect your opinion. I just don't see any other manager working under the financial constraints that we have at Spurs

And much the same was said when Redknapp took the club from bottom to the CL in the space of 12 months.

We been easily good enough to win silverware with this squad in that timeframe - far inferior United and Woolwich’s have done whereas we have not. It’s not a question of finance it’s a question of culture at the club. That’s the thee issue which has held us back.

First club to do the double
First English club to win a European trophy.
2nd most prolific FA cup winners pre ENIC
4th best supported club in Europe last year.
Highest English attendance record holders.
Former transfer fee record breakers.
Supporters clubs all over the world despite 3 trophyless decades.

There was once a time when clubs got their highest crowd of the season when the Spurs came to town.

We're not the plucky little over achievers you make us out to be, either, Joe.

I know all of that John, but a football club is defined by the trophies it’s won. We can’t even sell our tickets for Milan away in the CL. We’ve become awfully complacent. And I predict it will get worse with the new stadium. Tourists and half and halfers will abound. Your vision of our club is flawed - admirable - but flawed.

Last edited:
I notice that the same fans who want us to win trophies are the same fans who want us to dismiss the Europa League or League Cup and focus on other things.

Atletico Madrid is looking more and more like a stars aligning freak league win by the season. Dortmund won the league when Bayern were at the weakest they'd been in the last 10 years and the Bundesliga was genuinely competitive. I mean, you might as well have added Wolfsburg to that list. Surprised you didn't bring Leicester up either.

It's strange how different some fans can be I guess. I'll look back at it as a great time with a great young manager and an exciting young squad. I don't think we've been good enough to win the league. If we were, we'd have won it.

Saying that, 16/17 was a great opportunity and I don't really think we could have done a lot more. We were beaten by a record breaking team and I think our points tally would have won the league in many previous Premier League seasons - but it also had an air of "White Hart Lane is ours and we aren't losing here this season" - to expect to improve on that away from WHL was always going to be a tough ask.

Which is the complete opposite for me - the arrogance and disdain the club has show those tournaments has been nothing short of appalling.

As for A.Madrid - well it wasn’t just the league they have won 3 UEFA cups, a Copa Del Rey and Super Cup in the last 10 years. That isn’t luck that is design and this is a club whose turnover is less that ours. As for Dortmund - well they won back to league titles and the Bayern team that stopped them also happened to win the CL in the same season. It’s wasnt a weakened Bayern side - the Germans were the best in Europe at that point.

This isn’t about winning the title - this is about winning silverware any silverware and our best opportunity for that has been the likes of the UEFA cup, Legaue Cup and FA cup which we have squandered which in some respects almost deliberately.

Last edited:
I know all of that John, but a football club is defined by the trophies it’s won. We can’t even sell our tickets for Milan away in the CL. We’ve become awfully complacent. And I predict it will get worse with the new stadium. Tourists and half and halfers will abound. You’re vision of our club is flawed - admirable - but flawed.
Really? I thought selling over 2,000 tickets for a midweek 6pm game in Italy was pretty impressive, actually.
The likes of Man City and Chelsea would never have done that and have to advertise cut price home CL tickets on national radio too.

And for our first CL home game this season we'll probably smash the attendance record again, despite it being not technically at home

Did you not see all the empty seats at the poxy little Etihad tonight?

Why are you so keen to always find excuses to belittle our club and our supporters?

There is a strange revisionist mindset amongst some - it’s as if the Redknapp years never happened. The actual reality is that we have been a side pushing for a top 4 finish since 2005. 13 years on and that still remains the primary goal of the club - the only difference is the level of consistency has increased in the last 8 years. Pochettiho is a vastly overrated manager - undoubtedly a good coach but he doesn’t possess any of the ability some suggest he has. The simply reality is that he has had one of the best squads in the league for the 3 seasons and yet we haven’t really come close to winning anything and I don’t see that ever changing to be honest. It’s the Redknapp era being played out again and yet for some this is as good as it gets. Odd mindset.
If he dosen't win anything this season I think he's gone.

It can't be denied that the lack of investment in the squad is a significant factor but if he was at United, City or Chelsea he would of been sacked a long time ago it's all about getting success in trophies and quick these days.

It can't be denied that the lack of investment in the squad is a significant factor but if he was at United, City or Chelsea he would of been sacked a long time ago it's all about getting success in trophies and quick these days.

He won’t be sacked as long as he secures CL revenues because unlike those clubs that is our primary goal each year. When revenues stream become the priority then is it any wonder we don’t win anything. We are rapidly heading down the path of Woolwich.

Which is the complete opposite for me - the arrogance and disdainthe club has show those tournaments has been nothing short of appalling.

As for A.Madrid - well it wasn’t just the league they have won 3 UEFA cups, a Copa Del Rey and Super Cup in the last 10 years. That isn’t luck that is design and this is a clubs whose turnover is less that ours. As for Dortmund - well they won back to league titles and the Bayern team that stopped that also happened to win the CL in the same season. It’s wasnt a weakened Bayern side - the Germans were the best in Europe at that point.

This isn’t about winning the title - this is about winning silverware any silvesrr and our best opportunity for that has been the likes of the UEFA cup, Legaue Cup and FA cup which we have squandered which in some respects almost deliberately.

Glad to hear - it's frustrating hearing our own fans moan that we don't win anything only to then moan and dismiss the 'smaller' competitions because we have "bigger fish to fry". I personally like the League Cup. You play about 4 games and then you're in the final, which is in February. I saw on City's documentary how they wanted that League Cup win. The quicker we have that mindset for all trophies, the better.

Bayern never won the Champions League whilst finishing runners up. They were losing the league to Dortmund when carrying the likes of Pranjic and Tymoschuk in midfield. Heynckes then takes full reigns and starts building the team we pretty much dominated German football for the next 6 years to current day (Giving Kroos a more prominent role, bringing in Neuer and Boateng, promoting Alaba) and won the treble in 12/13 and Dortmund never came close ever again, but they absolutely weren't the best team in Europe when Dortmund were winning the league two years on the bounce. I mean they finished 3rd when Dortmund won their first of those two titles and got knocked out of the CL by Inter Milan.

I would agree that any silverware would do and again it would be disappointing if we didn't win something this year. I just hope we take each game seriously, every cup competitions seriously and do the best we can. West Ham last season was embarrassing. The performance against Man Utd was horrible and Juventus in the Champions League should have been a learning curve.

Which backs up the point I made earlier.
Why should we be considering ourselves lucky to have Poch?

He won’t be sacked as long as he secures CL revenues because unlike those clubs that is our primary goal each year. When revenues stream become the priority then is it any wonder we don’t win anything. We are rapidly heading down the path of Woolwich.
I'm just amazed so many are happy with this as embarrassing as it sounds i'd bite your fucking hand off for a league cup.

Gone in the sense that Levy will sack him? or gone in the sense that he feels he's taken us as far as he can and walks/bigger club comes for him?

Here is where I feel Levy is like me in the sense that trophies aren't the be all and end all when it comes to football, especially in the modern game and that as long as Pochettino is hitting the main target of Champions League football, he's safe as houses.

Poch and the players always preach that the club and the players want trophies/deserve trophies but you'll only have to check his line up against Watford and how the players treat it to know that can't be the case.

Which backs up the point I made earlier.
Why should we be considering ourselves lucky to have Poch?
I think he's done a great job brining us up to being consistent top 4 club.
I just fear he along with many of the players might of peaked we've gone on about his poor ability around subs for ages and he still hasn't changed

It’s a response to you belittling our manager and our club John. Without you you’d never have heard of me. And don’t talk to me about our supporters at the moment.
I have never belittled our club. Unless you think ENIC and the Club must be considered inseparable. Which I dont.

And I don't belittle our manager. I just don't think any manager, or player is bigger than Spurs. And saying we're lucky to have him suggests that he is.

I think he's done a great job brining us up to being consistent top 4 club.
I just fear he along with many of the players might of peaked we've gone on about his poor ability around subs for ages and he still hasn't changed

We've all complained about his subs - but do we really know what it's like at other clubs? For all we know, other clubs could be moaning about how their manager makes subs too late or makes the wrong subs? Just like every club moans about referee decisions like we do. Not a single manager is perfect in that regard and everyone has a picture of how they see a game. Just look in any OMT and see how many of us call for a certain sub, Poch may then make that sub only for it to end up being wrong.

There have been times where Pochs subs have been excellent over the last 5 seasons. Fulham at home this season for example where he brought Dembele on to stabilise the game and Lamela on to change the game completely. But there have also been subs this season and little changes that haven't worked.

There's alot more worrying things that have happened than subs. Even if 70th minute subs CAN be frustrating.

I have never belittled our club. Unless you think ENIC and the Club must be considered inseparable. Which I dont.

And I don't belittle our manager. I just don't think any manager, or player is bigger than Spurs. And saying we're lucky to have him suggests that he is.
You belittle our club and manager every day. You want him gone. I see who you agree with - you’re not even subtle about it. You must think we’re all idiots. Your ‘lucky to have him’ shit is just you covering your arse. You want a revolution at Spurs and if Poch is a casualty so be it.

We've all complained about his subs - but do we really know what it's like at other clubs? For all we know, other clubs could be moaning about how their manager makes subs too late or makes the wrong subs? Just like every club moans about referee decisions like we do. Not a single manager is perfect in that regard and everyone has a picture of how they see a game. Just look in any OMT and see how many of us call for a certain sub, Poch may then make that sub only for it to end up being wrong.

There have been times where Pochs subs have been excellent over the last 5 seasons. Fulham at home this season for example where he brought Dembele on to stabilise the game and Lamela on to change the game completely. But there have also been subs this season and little changes that haven't worked.
It's the consistency around the use of poor substitutions that worries me more I can't think of many times where he made effective use of subs whereas on the other side....

I feel like there's almost a fear around criticising poch sometimes because of how nice the guy is in interviews and how well he conducts himself that people feel a bit like shooting a puppy if they pipe up.

It's the consistency around the use of poor substitutions that worries me more I can't think of many times where he made effective use of subs whereas on the other side....

I feel like there's almost a fear around criticising poch sometimes because of how nice the guy is in interviews and how well he conducts himself that people feel a bit like shooting a puppy if they pipe up.

But how do other managers do when it comes to subs? It's easy to say what subs are needed when you're watching it without the stress of having to actually manage it. Whilst in hindsight taking Lamela off for Winks was stupid. Maybe Pochettino thought Lucas' energy would compensate for Lamela's and Winks could keep hold of the ball in possession?

Just like against Fulham when they were dominating. Taking a centre half off might have given Fulham an edge but it didn't and then they couldn't handle Lamelas energy when he come on - but it's a game of fine margins. Dembele may have accidentally slipped on the ball and Fulham may have gone on to score and win the game. We'd then be sitting there bashing Pochs subs. If we ended up winning 0-1 last night, no one would have cared one bit about Pochs subs. Especially when Lucas was getting lots of praise when he came on.

I think a bigger issue than subs is changing formations and line up every single week.

I don't think there's an issue with criticising Pochettino when he deserves it. Plenty of people have criticised him over the years for his subs, line ups, team selections, mindset to cups, signings, decisions to drop players etc. - He isn't exempt from criticism nor should he be. I get a lot more worried posting Kane, Lloris or Vertonghen criticism on here than I do Pochettino.

I think saying whether Poch is lucky or not to be here is a bit much though.

Poch did inherent a very good squad. But he's also improved many of those players, and been the best coach that I think we've had since the sixties. The first to keep us in the top 3 three seasons running since then, our highest finish since then. The first, bar Pleat's one season in 87, to have us in a genuine title hunt (twice). We played some beautiful football under Burkinshaw at times, but we were flimsy.

And say we haven't come close to winning anything under Poch is daft. One final, four or five semi finals, two league challenges?

Yes, some do get a little carried away with the fella. We were as good/lucky for him as he's been for us. He's not perfect, definitely has flaws, but on balance he's been as great for us as we have for him. Not many big CL clubs would have given him the backing - and I don't just mean financial - I mean the keys to the club, given carte blanche to have a say on how everything is done, front of house, back of house, clear out who he wants, work how he wants etc, no other manager has been given that. In return he's made us a serious club. Beating top 4 teams consistently, the likes of Real Madrid.

But I also wouldn't shit my pants if he decided to to move on. There are some great young managers knocking around, some real forward thinkers, particularly in the Bundesliga, who are used to working with smaller resources than Poch has had. And other good managers too. And Levy has proven time and time again, that he makes good decisions, he has constantly found solutions, there aren’t too many managers we couldn’t afford, and every time the fans "love" a manager (Jol) and think "it's as good as it gets" (Bagpus) he proves it isn't and finds a better one.

I couldn't give a fuck about cups. I'd love a European trophy, a domestic cup would be nice, but they would just be cherry's, I just want us to be a consistent serious league competitor, play good football, and I don't mean "entertain" I mean good, cohesive football, be taken seriously, not be seen as some "entertaining fops".

I don't want Poch sacked, I'd be sorry to see him go, but I wouldn't shit my pants either. We're one of the biggest 10-15 teams in Europe, with one of the best new stadiums, best training facilities and a progressive chairman who keeps pushing us forward.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom