Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pochettino, I know he's got us towards the top of the table and all that, and it's really unpopular to criticise him in any way on the internet for fear of people calling you a gooner/negative/Levy-lover etc, but that comment is AIDS.

His team selections and lack of mid-game changes have been a direct reason for us dropping out of the cups early doors, for him to say the club isn't focused on winning titles and games is just ridiculous.

This is going on the assumption that the quote is accurate.
He said it and he is in the best position to understand how the club is focused, so he must be bang on.

His team selections and lack of mid-game changes have been a direct reason for us dropping out of the cups early doors, for him to say the club isn't focused on winning titles and games is just ridiculous.

Don’t expect anyone to address this or any of his weaknesses.
Don’t expect anyone to express the morbid looks on our players faces and frustrated demeanor on the pitch as anything other than “the window”.

I dismissed the rumours of players being unhappy about the brutal training as media bullshit, but maybe there is no smoke without fire. Don’t expect a discussion on any of the players getting a bit tired of Poch though.
Don’t expect a debate on Dier, Davies, Rose and Sons regression, or even Trippier looking poor, and don’t worry about Kane’s energy you know because he still scores.

You can ask questions but you will always get one answer: “The Window”

It’s startkng to sound like one of those Japanese horror films.......how can the same players that looked world class, look so insecure under the same manager?

Nothing to do with a change to our game?
The window did it.

He said it and he is in the best position to understand how the club is focused, so he must be bang on.
Oh, for sure. He is right in there, he has more knowledge than all of us, which makes the statement even more worrying, because it isn't something a manager should be saying externally. If it's true then it's a massive issue that needs to be dealt with internally, not via the media.

Pochettino, I know he's got us towards the top of the table and all that, and it's really unpopular to criticise him in any way on the internet for fear of people calling you a gooner/negative/Levy-lover etc, but that comment is AIDS.

And what if the quote is correct and the club have not been prioritising winning things?

Ahahah the “you support two clubs card”. I become a spurs fan without living in London or having family members supporting it. Impressive I dare to say. When we win something you can call me glory hunter.
I didn't say that did i, i said about supporting two teams. I'm Spurs through and through, just Spurs. If i started following a Portugese team as a second team then i may hold back on the our club references.
I'm glad you like Spurs but i will never see you as a die hard Spurs fan, sorry.
There are many die-hard Spurs supporters in Malta who have never been able to see us play live. It would be a brave man to tell them to their face that they weren't real supporters!

For the first time, I'm a little worred that Poch might actually do one. But maybe that's just the paper talk.

It's not so much that he doesn't have his faults (of course he does), it's more that it would spell an exodus of players.

There are many die-hard Spurs supporters in Malta who have never been able to see us play live. It would be a brave man to tell them to their face that they weren't real supporters!
I find it strange being a die hard supporter of two teams, that's all. I'd happily tell it to their face as well. Where did i mention seeing us live. If you want to have a pop at me MrsP then at least get the facts straight. Have a nice day.

Regardless of what he actually thinks and feels it was definitely a poor choice to say what he said before a game like this. I knew as soon as I read these quotes that we were going to lose because that kind of wording does, without a question, affect the players and doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

At least the 'English core' of our team seems happy and signed new contracts, and I think that's far more vital to future success than Poch himself.

Poch is one of our greatest ever coaches but if he no longer feels motivated then he is doing more harm than good. Hopefully when we move to the new stadium everything will change for the better but he doesn't seem happy.

When does the manager become accountable for the deficiencies in the team?

Not injuries, not signings, not other teams spending, but the same group of players playing worse football than we used to.

Yesterday aside it was a decent show.
But how many weeks can we waste chances? When does the manager wield the axe or do what it takes to make players realize it’s not ok?

When does he implement our pressing game again?
When does he stop sitting slumped in his chair like a moody Jose man child and start bellowing from the touchline like he used to?

There will be hysterics and denial, but deep down I think you probably all know that the tosspot Klopp would have this same squad tearing the shit out of teams.
So it is possible. It is possible because Poch himself has done it with this squad.
So what gives with regression in our style of play?
Why have we gone from beating relegation fodder 7-1, 4-1 regularly to scraping wins with them coming away unlucky to have lost?

The training was too much and we are knackered? Where the rumours about players complaining that the regime is too tough and causing injuries true after all?

I want to know when we entertain a situation where people are comfortable question the managers part and stop wrapping him up in cotton wool.

When is Poch part of the problem?
And when does the stage come where people accept he needs to improve and it’s not all just the players and Levy’s fault.

So think about that because I think you all know it’s valid. See you in a couple months.
While this is a part of the grieving process, it’s a little early to be slagging off the ex in public to big yourself up. Pochettino hasn’t even left us yet.

If the board cannot commit to backing him then they are really pushing their luck. If he does go and i mean if (i certainly don't want him to) I think we should have a serious look at Chris Hughton.
While I dearly love Hughton, he’s not quite good enough for our level.

The minimum criteria are a someone who can coach an attacking, short-passing possession game with a press, develop young players, and manage a squad across a European campaign and the League at the same time.

Comfort with a Director of Football would also be a huge plus (I would also say this about our Chairman).

While I dearly love Hughton, he’s not quite good enough for our level.

The minimum criteria are a someone who can coach an attacking, short-passing possession game with a press, develop young players, and manage a squad across a European campaign and the League at the same time.

Comfort with a Director of Football would also be a huge plus (I would also say this about our Chairman).
Hypothetical: If Conte showed up knocking on our door the day Poch leaves and asks about the job. Would you take him?

Again purely hypothetical

I don’t think the quote is unfair. I doubt a club attempting the most-complex privately funded construction project in Europe is going to be able to completely focus on the football. I’m not sure Pochettino’s comment is a complaint so much as a statement of fact. He’s not working under the same constraints as anyone rlse in the League. We all know that. So does he, and he still signed a contract extension, which says something else.

Hypothetical: If Conte showed up knocking on our door the day Poch leaves and asks about the job. Would you take him?

Again purely hypothetical
No. He has complained at Juventus and Chelsea about ‘austerity’ projects, so he couldn’t handle conditions at Spurs. Also, his style does not fit what is pretty clearly considered ‘the Spurs way’.

This talk of new managers makes me feel physically sick.

Not because it shouldn't be happening, Poch does not seem happy lately. There is a bit in his book where he talked of things not going quite right early on at Spurs (or Southampton?) and how he was having doubts, I think mainly about himself, and it was uncertain would he stay or go. He rode it out and got past it. I really hope that happens here, but I think it is a similar situation where it's uncertain which way it will go. He could walk, so understandable we talk of new manager options. But look at the candidates, do any of them improve us, or make us worse? I think with the exception of Conte, all other options would leave us worse off.

What we need is for Poch to stay, get through a difficult patch, finish the fucking stadium and get in it, shift some deadwood in the summer, spend some cash we don't really have on new players that we obviously need and go for broke next season on winning something.

Wow not destroying the squad is backing the manager. Basically levy could have had a 3 month nap all summer and doenst sell a player ....thats backing the manager. Fucking enlightening.

So Dele signing today is not good news? doubling his wages is not backing the manager? investing 30m over six years in a player top class player is not backing the manager? ... or are you just perhaps talking out your arse?

This talk of new managers makes me feel physically sick.

Not because it shouldn't be happening, Poch does not seem happy lately. There is a bit in his book where he talked of things not going quite right early on at Spurs (or Southampton?) and how he was having doubts, I think mainly about himself, and it was uncertain would he stay or go. He rode it out and got past it. I really hope that happens here, but I think it is a similar situation where it's uncertain which way it will go. He could walk, so understandable we talk of new manager options. But look at the candidates, do any of them improve us, or make us worse? I think with the exception of Conte, all other options would leave us worse off.

What we need is for Poch to stay, get through a difficult patch, finish the fucking stadium and get in it, shift some deadwood in the summer, spend some cash we don't really have on new players that we obviously need and go for broke next season on winning something.
Never going to happen.
When Poch says we need to take risks and be brave, it's falling on deaf ears.

Back
Top Bottom