Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Close. The level of football from Poch was so fucking good at times.
under Keith, Hoddle, taking football into an art from.
I think under Poch I was at an age to appreciate it more. And at an age to give it more to non believers.
I guess this is in reply to me? You didn't quote.

I don't see how the Poch years can in any way be 'close' to the Burkinshaw ones.

yes mate, was to you. sorry. (I don't really always know what the fuck I'm doing in here)

in my head we were out 10 years out from still being successful, early 70s. Burkinshaw is and will always have a massive part of my heart, but I think if the petrol dollars were affecting football in the early 80s, I question what we would have won. Could well have been a blue print of the Poch years, bridesmaids.

Whereas what Poch gave me was the right to give it out after maybe 25 years. IMHO only petrol dollars prevented Poch becoming possibly the greatest manager we ever had. Take the petrol doped teams out and we would have been far more attractive to top players. Would probably have 1 league title and possibly much more,

The doped clubs have affected every team in the last 20 years, but us and scum suffered most. Willian is a great example. No doped money in chavs and he arrives here in his prime. Scum took him when they could afford him but past his best.

yes mate, was to you. sorry. (I don't really always know what the fuck I'm doing in here)

in my head we were out 10 years out from still being successful, early 70s. Burkinshaw is and will always have a massive part of my heart, but I think if the petrol dollars were affecting football in the early 80s, I question what we would have won. Could well have been a blue print of the Poch years, bridesmaids.

Whereas what Poch gave me was the right to give it out after maybe 25 years. IMHO only petrol dollars prevented Poch becoming possibly the greatest manager we ever had. Take the petrol doped teams out and we would have been far more attractive to top players. Would probably have 1 league title and possibly much more,

The doped clubs have affected every team in the last 20 years, but us and scum suffered most. Willian is a great example. No doped money in chavs and he arrives here in his prime. Scum took him when they could afford him but past his best.
How did Poch give you the right to - 'give it out'? We won nothing, even Leicester (are they petrol money) won a league title?

Displays, Amsterdam, a squad to compete (if not complete)
seriously in any non believers face.
I totally discount trophies won on petrol dollars .
reminding chavs that they were Fulham without RA and they would be when he fucked off.
putting scum right as glory days of Wenger had gone.
explain to spammers that winning the playoffs is not a trophy.
an absolute pride in what we were achieving against financially doped clubs..

If people think a league or fa cup are more impressive than top 2-3 league finishes and a CL final, they are not thinking logically.

domestic cups are just 5-6 game crapshoots many of which are played against inferior competition. League is a 38 game sample and the CL is an actually competitive 13 game competitions, unlike the domestic cups.

It’s cool to brag about a league or FA cup win, but it’s not an indicator of a good team like league play and CL is.
I don't think that I agree with this. All trophies that aren't pre season stuff should be celebrated and cherished.

There are only 3 trophies that all top flight English clubs can compete for each season, the league and the two cups. Any team with a proper winning mentality should want to win all of those going into a season, and try to reach that goal for as long as possible. "Big winning clubs" (which almost all Spurs fans want us to be) want to win every competition that they are in, not just one or two. You can obviously rank them differently or rate them on a scale but you should want to win all of them. Winning the FA or League cup should not be seen as a bad thing.

With more and more oil money entering football fans of non oil clubs better start rating their cups. Because the oil clubs are going to start dominating the leagues sooner or later. Whilst in a cup you can still have an upset on the day.

Spurs should always aim to finish as high as possible in the league and to go far in Europe. But Spurs should also not write off domestic cups. We talk about the magic of the cup for a reason.

Pochettino took the wrong job after leaving us.

He had to go as far as we were concerned because he had run out of steam, but he has done nothing to add to his CV.

Nothing proved by winning La Ligue and a lot lost in failing to win the CL or not even to get PSG to the final.

If he is not careful he will forget be known more because of what people thought he could do than what he has actually done.

His next job makes or breaks him..
Pep hasn't won the CL in over a decade despite managing the out and out favourites in every year bar is sabbatical season.

It is utterly bizarre how this narrative exists, I'm sure Tuchel and Emery would also agree.

I don't think that I agree with this. All trophies that aren't pre season stuff should be celebrated and cherished.

There are only 3 trophies that all top flight English clubs can compete for each season, the league and the two cups. Any team with a proper winning mentality should want to win all of those going into a season, and try to reach that goal for as long as possible. "Big winning clubs" (which almost all Spurs fans want us to be) want to win every competition that they are in, not just one or two. You can obviously rank them differently or rate them on a scale but you should want to win all of them. Winning the FA or League cup should not be seen as a bad thing.

With more and more oil money entering football fans of non oil clubs better start rating their cups. Because the oil clubs are going to start dominating the leagues sooner or later. Whilst in a cup you can still have an upset on the day.

Spurs should always aim to finish as high as possible in the league and to go far in Europe. But Spurs should also not write off domestic cups. We talk about the magic of the cup for a reason.
The point was a domestic cup doesn’t equal a good team. A CL final run is more impressive.

The point was a domestic cup doesn’t equal a good team. A CL final run is more impressive.
But a domestic cup can be the corner stone of a good team. Winning a cup is a good way to get over that final roadblock to become a winning team. A taste of what it is like to win that can spur the players on to bigger things.

I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer. I would have loved to have won a cup that was something other than the Audi cup. Just before we won in 81, forest won 2 titles and 2 ECs, Villa won title and EC, just after Everton were probably the best team in Europe.

that could not happen with the Oil Backed clubs dropping hundreds of £M per season. And that has what we have faced for 20 years. Given that Poch gave us a team that competed (fell slightly short) with the oiled up clubs. Leicester were 5k to 1. Do we lose the points to Chelsea if they are not so financially doped?

But a domestic cup can be the corner stone of a good team. Winning a cup is a good way to get over that final roadblock to become a winning team. A taste of what it is like to win that can spur the players on to bigger things.
Have to disagree completly.

The ONLY teams to have won a Domestic trophy since the PL began other than the "big 6" have been:
Leicester (both PL & FA Cup)
Blackburn (PL) = relegated
Everton (FA Cup) = about to be relegated
Portsmouth (FA Cup) = relegated
Wigan (FA Cup) = relegated
these are the ONLY exceptions.

Woolwich, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man C or Man U will have won 28/30 PL titles and 26/30 FA Cups.

By the end of this 30th Premier League season, the 90 major domestic trophies of the era (PL, FAC, LC) will have been won 82% of the time, or 74/90, by just the "big six": MUFC (22), CFC (16 or 17), AFC (13), MCFC (13 or 14), LFC (8-10) and Leicester (4). Shoehorn in Spurs for the Legaue Cup in 2008 (1).

It didn't spur us on in 2008, it didn't Spur Leicester on, Blackburn, Everton, Portsmouth or Wigan.

This narrative I think was created by Mourinho, when he won the Legaue Cup (his 1st Trophy for Chavs), ever since then it's stuck with whoever "X" Team is going for a Trophy, it's even trotted out by some of the "big 6" who may not have won one in a while eg Woolwich in FA Cup, Man U when Mourinho was managing, his jammy win in the Europa League was supposed to be the catalyst of their new era.

For us, being part of the "big 6" on a regular basis improves our chances of winning a trophy. On the scale of things we've not long been in this group over the last 30yrs (I'd say this really should be when you're in the top 4 when you know you have a team good enough to get to the latter stages of most domestic trophy's, it does then require a bit of luck on who you draw, I think we've drawn the best team in every final/semi-Final we've played in bar the Man U FA Cup-semi, unlike Woolwich breaking their duck in FA Cup vs relegated Hull and relegated Villa, same as Man U in Europa Cup beating an U21 team and Southampton in League Cup, City's two FA Cup's under the sportswashers was against Stoke & Watford in the most one-sided Cup Final ever played, 6-0).

TDLR: To win a trophy we need to be good enough as a team to be regularly fighting in the top 6 and get a bit of luck who you draw in the semi-final/final when you get there.

Leicester? I’ll give it for the fans being ugly fuckers.
well run club but are the exception to the rule for the last 20 years. Not petrol but had owners ready to bung in £ and an excellent recruitment policy.
we spent money during that time on a lot of shit with Levy trying to find the next Bale.
ill blame Levy for a shit recruitment policy/structure but I wont blame hi. for not being RA.
Leicester, were 5000-1. see if you can get anything above 1000-1 on any club nowadays.

For me only winning the league or CL can match our final run. Winning the FA Cup would be amazing but wouldn’t match the sheer drama and emotions of the CL run even starting at the group stage.

I have conflicting feelings about that time. We definitely deserved to win something - we didn’t. But did we just lack that extra bit of quality and experience?

For instance we reached a domestic final in Poch’s first season v Chelsea. Our first choice midfielders were Ryan Mason and Nabil Bentaleb. Harry Kane up front. 23, 20 and 21 years old.

Eric Dier in defence. 21.
Eriksen and Townsend both played in the final - 23 at the time.
That’s half the team 23 or under.

Says a lot about what we were achieving with the players we had available.

And in hindsight we lost that game to the eventual league winners who finished having only lost 3 league games all season.
Dier barely played Centre Half for Pochettino in his last 3 seasons and in the last season he did play a fair bit there (16/17) we had our highest ever league finish.

Have to disagree completly.

The ONLY teams to have won a Domestic trophy since the PL began other than the "big 6" have been:
Leicester (both PL & FA Cup)
Blackburn (PL) = relegated
Everton (FA Cup) = about to be relegated
Portsmouth (FA Cup) = relegated
Wigan (FA Cup) = relegated
these are the ONLY exceptions.

Woolwich, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man C or Man U will have won 28/30 PL titles and 26/30 FA Cups.

By the end of this 30th Premier League season, the 90 major domestic trophies of the era (PL, FAC, LC) will have been won 82% of the time, or 74/90, by just the "big six": MUFC (22), CFC (16 or 17), AFC (13), MCFC (13 or 14), LFC (8-10) and Leicester (4). Shoehorn in Spurs for the Legaue Cup in 2008 (1).

It didn't spur us on in 2008, it didn't Spur Leicester on, Blackburn, Everton, Portsmouth or Wigan.

This narrative I think was created by Mourinho, when he won the Legaue Cup (his 1st Trophy for Chavs), ever since then it's stuck with whoever "X" Team is going for a Trophy, it's even trotted out by some of the "big 6" who may not have won one in a while eg Woolwich in FA Cup, Man U when Mourinho was managing, his jammy win in the Europa League was supposed to be the catalyst of their new era.

For us, being part of the "big 6" on a regular basis improves our chances of winning a trophy. On the scale of things we've not long been in this group over the last 30yrs (I'd say this really should be when you're in the top 4 when you know you have a team good enough to get to the latter stages of most domestic trophy's, it does then require a bit of luck on who you draw, I think we've drawn the best team in every final/semi-Final we've played in bar the Man U FA Cup-semi, unlike Woolwich breaking their duck in FA Cup vs relegated Hull and relegated Villa, same as Man U in Europa Cup beating an U21 team and Southampton in League Cup, City's two FA Cup's under the sportswashers was against Stoke & Watford in the most one-sided Cup Final ever played, 6-0).

TDLR: To win a trophy we need to be good enough as a team to be regularly fighting in the top 6 and get a bit of luck who you draw in the semi-final/final when you get there.
the semi-final/final when you get there…….and ponce about and not lay a glove on the oppo….:contescrewface:

How did Poch give you the right to - 'give it out'? We won nothing, even Leicester (are they petrol money) won a league title?
Because he gave us the real Tottenham back, great football, played in the style our club was famous for.
The 80s was a much more level playing field, and so it was possible to win things.
Now you need a miracle like Leicester's to keep in sight of the financial doping clubs

Back
Top Bottom