Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In case no one's ever seen it, here's a tribute video someone did of his time at Espanyol. Watching this, it's not hard to figure out what he likes about players like Dier, Vertonghen or even Mason.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...promise-is-paying-off-for-spurs-a6724701.html

Woolwich vs Tottenham: Mauricio Pochettino’s refusal to compromise is paying off for Spurs
Only the committed – and the disciplined – are allowed to wear the Tottenham white under Argentinian’s regime
By Jack Pitt-Brooke

Mauricio Pochettino does not give much away at press conferences, but on Wednesday he revealed a side to his personality which had been largely private until then. Tottenham Hotspur’s head coach, outwardly affable and light-hearted, has a cold, ruthless edge which he made very clear as he castigated Andros Townsend in front of the cameras, throwing the winger’s Spurs career into serious doubt.

“Where there is an action, there is a consequence,” Pochettino said. “If you behave in the wrong way, you always need to pay. He needs to learn about football, about behaviour, about discipline, about a lot of things.”
Townsend was fined, banished from the main group, and suspended from selection after a public row with fitness coach Nathan Gardiner. He is unlikely to play for Tottenham again. “I am friendly,” Pochettino said, “but discipline is very important.”

The story of Pochettino’s 18 months at White Hart Lane has been of him moulding a young squad in his own image: competitive, hard-working and utterly committed to the cause. The team he fields at Woolwich on Sunday afternoon, hoping to climb into the Champions League places, will include no player about whom he has any doubts.

Pochettino inherited his squad from Tim Sherwood, who bemoaned a lack of “guts and character”. Pochettino’s solution has been to dispose of all the players he did not like, did not trust and would not come along with him.

By this time last year he had realised who those players were. Younès Kaboul , who was officially club captain, Étienne Capoue, Benoît Assou-Ekotto, Emmanuel Adebayor and Aaron Lennon barely played for him again. Adebayor and Lennon returned for pre-season training this summer, but were not given squad numbers or allowed to train with the main group. “I went back in for pre-season and there were a few of us told they were not going to be in Tottenham’s plans,” Lennon said. “It wasn’t just me, there was a complete overhaul.”

None of which means that Pochettino is vindictive or unpleasant. Rather, he knows what he wants from his players, which is total commitment to his philosophy, his way of training and playing. Anyone who strays from that is straight out.

It was the same at Southampton, where Pochettino spent £13m on Dani Osvaldo, his old striker from Espanyol. When Osvaldo headbutted Jose Fonte in training, Pochettino said he would never play for Saints again, and so it proved.

Those who know Pochettino do not say he is a fiery Argentine with a short temper, but quite the opposite. He is markedly calm and level-headed, whatever the result. At times, such as during a match, he can be tactile and encouraging, but his natural mode is cold authority. Jesus Perez, his assistant, does more of the personal interaction.

Although the door to Pochettino’s office at the training ground is nominally open, players who come to him to ask why they are not playing get a curt response. Pochettino has his own explanation, about what it is to be a professional footballer, and why there is no use moaning to him.

“When you sign a contract as a player, you need to understand that you don’t sign to play, you sign to train,” he has said. “Then you wait for the decision of the manager to pick the players. This is football.”

It is an uncompromising attitude, but one that has served Pochettino well so far. It is an attitude he picked up from the most important person in his career to date, legendary coach Marcelo Bielsa, who managed him at Newell’s Old Boys, Espanyol and the Argentina national team, and whom Pochettino calls his “father” in football.

Oscar Garcia, recent manager of Brighton and Watford, played with Pochettino at Espanyol and recognises the similarities between his approach and Bielsa’s.

“I know Pochettino’s mentality, similar to the Bielsa mentality,” Garcia told The Independent. “I know a lot of players who played for Bielsa at Athletic Bilbao. Bielsa only has one way. If you don’t want to go this way, you will not play at all.

“When I played with Pochettino for Espanyol, he had a strong mentality, he was a leader of the team, and of the young players. He organised the team defensively. He had a typical Argentinian mentality, very competitive. He wanted to win every game and every training session. All the players who played under Bielsa learned a lot from him, and tried to copy Bielsa.”

Pochettino likes to say his tactical philosophy is different from Bielsa’s but the influence is clear. Woolwich captain Mikel Arteta played with Pochettino at Paris Saint-Germain and said last year that Bielsa was “his hero and his mentor”: “Most of the concepts Pochettino has tried to put into his teams are from Bielsa.”

What Pochettino also learned, growing up with that famous Newell’s team, was the special power and meaning of a derby. Newell’s great rival is Rosario Central and even now, Pochettino still thinks in those terms. In March, before Spurs played Manchester United, he was asked about Angel di Maria. “He is the opposite of me,” Pochettino joked. “I am leproso [Newell’s], he is canalla [Central].”

Through his whole career, Pochettino has fed off the passion and energy of derbies, from Newell’s v Rosario Central, to Espanyol v Barcelona, and now Spurs v Woolwich, the latest instalment of which takes place at the Emirates.

Pochettino was the first Espanyol coach to win at the Nou Camp in 27 years, overturning Pep Guardiola’s great team in February 2009. The greatest moment of his Tottenham tenure to date, even better than routing Chelsea and Manchester City at home, was the epic 2-1 defeat of Woolwich at White Hart Lane in February, when Spurs overwhelmed their greatest rivals with their commitment, intensity and emotional energy, climaxing in Harry Kane’s header four minutes from the end.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ght-future-for-england-at-spurs-a6725641.html

Woolwich vs Tottenham: Mauricio Pochettino is building a bright future for England at Spurs

Accent on youth Wenger planned for Woolwich is succeeding at his closest rivals

By Michael Delaney

On Wednesday afternoon, as Eric Dier was eating his lunch at Tottenham Hotspur’s Enfield training centre, Mauricio Pochettino called the 21-year-old over. The England squad for the forthcoming friendlies against Spain and France was due to be announced the next day, but the Spurs manager had already spoken to Roy Hodgson, and told the player there was a good chance he would be picked.

Within 24 hours Dier knew that he had been, and was thrilled. Yet, while these are giddy new heights for the young defender, chats like that are becoming close to routine for his manager. If Dier makes his international debut in the next 10 days he will be the ninth player to win his first English cap having been moulded by Pochettino. Six of those actually made their debuts while playing under the Argentinian, and Nathaniel Clyne and Calum Chambers did so just months after leaving his Southampton side. It is all the more impressive when you consider those players form over 60 per cent of the country’s last 14 debutants.

In other words, much of England’s future is being shaped by Pochettino’s coaching. He is developing a key English core, and is a manager who should appeal to any young player looking to develop. The fact that Dier’s call-up comes in the same week as the north London derby adds a little nuance to Pochettino’s fine youth record by virtue of an obvious comparison.

It isn’t so long ago that Arsène Wenger made similar claims about developing a core of young players: “Now we have some young British players for the first time in the group – [Kieran] Gibbs, [Aaron] Ramsey, [Jack] Wilshere, [Alex] Oxlade-Chamberlain. We have a core of young players that we want to build on.”

That was in September 2012, and the three years since should have been the perfect timescale for that to happen. But it hasn’t. Gibbs has been supplanted by Nacho Monreal, Oxlade-Chamberlain is rarely a first choice and Wilshere is regularly injured but wouldn’t form part of Woolwich’s best midfield. Theo Walcott (below, with Wenger) alternates with Olivier Giroud up front, with Chambers fading from prominence.

Contrast that with Spurs, where players like Dier, Harry Kane and Dele Alli are regular starters and play far more minutes per game (see table). The process that Wenger hoped for at Woolwich has happened at his closest rivals.

Of course, some of this is circumstantial. Wenger has previously been criticised for placing too much faith in existing players and not signing stars, so he deserves some slack for consciously upgrading his squad. Pochettino has also admitted that finance has often forced his hand as regards trusting youngsters.

But there is no doubt that Pochettino has put the development of young Englishmen at the heart of his Tottenham project from its inception 15 months ago. The success of Kane and Ryan Mason no doubt solidified the process, but the contrast between those two and Oxlade-Chamberlain is stark. The Woolwich player has many admirers, Hodgson and Jose Mourinho (who made an inquiry about him in the summer when the Petr Cech transfer was being finalised) among them, but is generally consigned to the bench by Wenger, three years after his England debut.

And there is clearly much more to the Spurs manager’s superior youth record than just resources. Taking his career as a whole, Pochettino has given an average of 2.3 academy graduates their debut each season. That is more than anyone else in the Premier League other than Louis van Gaal, whose record stands at 2.75. Arguably more relevantly, though, 67 per cent of Pochettino’s debutants get regular football – far more than anyone else. That can be seen in how he has this season put out the youngest team in the English top flight, with an average age of 24.7, and the fourth youngest in Europe’s five major leagues.

It says much that, just a few months after Pochettino replaced him as Spurs boss, Tim Sherwood praised him as a manager willing to give young players “an opportunity to play”. It comes down to a difference in approach. A few months ago, when his own youth record was criticised, Jose Mourinho said it was up to players to show him that they were immediately ready.

“You don’t need five matches in a row,” the Portuguese said. “You need 10 minutes.”

Pochettino is the complete opposite. He says it is up to the manager to show trust in the young player, because that in turn will give them a further boost, and allow them space to develop.

I like how he has been managing our injuries.

First off last season we hardly had any. That may have been luck but you have to think that the training methods combined with the amazing facilities have a part to play.

This season we've had more, but I think I'm right in saying the vast majority of those have come from match situations following a tackle or some sort of impact. Which you can't really legislate for.

But where I think he's shone the most is his patience in reintegrating players back into the side. It seems like our injured players always take a few more weeks than initially predicted to come back, which can be frustrating. But I think that's down to poch basically appreciating that you have to be 100% fully fit to play in this team the way that he wants. This should hopefully mean less frequent and/or long term injuries throughout the season.

The only exception to this is probably Kane. He's had a few niggles without missing too many minutes and his knee looked pretty strapped up on Thursday. But when you've only got one proper striker at the club this is what happens!

Can we all take a moment to admire what a miracle Poch has pulled here! Youngest squad in the league. Full of English talent. Academy stars shining through. Unbeaten in 11 games. All this with the fact that he was almost screwed by the board during the summer with late transfer bids and non sense friendlies. I am fairly sure if we skipped the Audi cup, we would not have lost at United. Honestly, we have struck gold here with this guy.

For once I hope the board recognizes that they have hit the jackpot and back him fully. If you think about it, there hasn't been a single game this season that we have been overplayed. We maybe wobbled a little bit against Stoke and Leicester at the end, but every other league game, we have dominated teams.

When a team is this confident, any sort of statement will provide a boost. I hope we go all out in January to get in a superstar attacker to give us that boost which will lead us to top 4 and beyond.

Can we all take a moment to admire what a miracle Poch has pulled here! Youngest squad in the league. Full of English talent. Academy stars shining through. Unbeaten in 11 games. All this with the fact that he was almost screwed by the board during the summer with late transfer bids and non sense friendlies. I am fairly sure if we skipped the Audi cup, we would not have lost at United. Honestly, we have struck gold here with this guy.

For once I hope the board recognizes that they have hit the jackpot and back him fully. If you think about it, there hasn't been a single game this season that we have been overplayed. We maybe wobbled a little bit against Stoke and Leicester at the end, but every other league game, we have dominated teams.

When a team is this confident, any sort of statement will provide a boost. I hope we go all out in January to get in a superstar attacker to give us that boost which will lead us to top 4 and beyond.
I think Levy has faith in him, was even willing to break positive net spend(!!!!!!!) this summer. Levy just has to stop being such a tight arse

IMG_0199_zpsf0sce5pp.jpg

Good article on his investment in youth from this morning's ST.

Back
Top Bottom