Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's 29 and, as far as I understand, leading a healthy existence. I don't think it unreasonable to expect Messi to compete at the highest level for the next five years.

Is he the greatest player ever? Probably.

My favourite great is Zidane, but Messi has probably made a greater impact over his career with Barca. I would say Messi is also better than Pele and Maradona.

Regarding Cristiano Ronaldo, I think history will judge him in the bracket below Cruyff and Best. Ronaldo's recognition in the Messi-era is defined by sympathy for a player of world class ability and gigantic ego who is completely eclipsed by the diminutive Argentinian.
Ronaldo below Best?

1 - Maradona, Pele, Messi
2 - Cruyff, Zidane, Platini, Zico, Ronaldo,
3 - Van Basten, Fat Ronaldo, Romario, Beckenbauer, Muller, Best, Clive Allen

Putting Clive Allen alongside George Best and Beckenbauer? Fuck me mate you don't have a clue do you?

.....He should be in group 2

:pocheyes:

Not really sure how anyone that has been put in tier 2 can be deemed better than Brazilian Ronaldo, not to the extent where they are a complete tier above him in level.

Fat Ronaldo - 100% Tier 2 / would have been Tier 1 if it wasn't; for injuries

Won the WC too - Messi is unlikely to ever achieve that

The most extreame example of talent to laziness I remember is probably Ronaldinho.

Best player in the world for 2-3 years and maybe the most skilful player I can remember, even for a Brazilian he was outrageous.

Should have been a tier 2 even tier 1 player if he used what he had better.

yeah fair enough, I put him and Van basten in tier 3 because the injuries ravaged their careers. I'd argue if you're putting Ronaldo in 2 then Romario should probably do so - at various times they were considered the best in the world.

Ronaldo has never won the Champions League - something Messi has achieved numerous times.

But I agree with you. Amazingly.

Ronaldo has never won the Champions League - something Messi has achieved numerous times.

But I agree with you. Amazingly.

Ronaldo has won the Champions League twice. 2013-14 and 2015-16.

Edit: Totti was talking about the original Ronaldo.

Last edited:
No because the correlation I feel is simple.

At a time when the Argentine squad has actually been better in relative terms to other countries, then he would or should have won Copa Americas or one World Cup at least.

At the top of a strong bunch of players for best club player but nowhere near for best national player and that leaves the debate open.

That accolade for me in terms of best player ever at national level in my time sort of is one of Maradona, Pele or fat Ronaldo.

this thread is nonsense. you cant compare across eras cos the game has changed. Greaves et all were playing in a era when a defender could kick you up in the air. now its not far off non contact. players get booked for their second or third foul simply because its their second or third foul.

theres no doubt that some of the modern players are great great players. but how many goals could greaves etc have scored with modern training, nutrition and under current rules?

this thread is nonsense. you cant compare across eras cos the game has changed. Greaves et all were playing in a era when a defender could kick you up in the air. now its not far off non contact. players get booked for their second or third foul simply because its their second or third foul.

theres no doubt that some of the modern players are great great players. but how many goals could greaves etc have scored with modern training, nutrition and under current rules?

Yes and it's very difficult to quantify. You have to factor in teammates, opposition, crowd, injuries...

I find it sad how half the greats pissed it away on drink or drugs, if only they had stayed clean we could have had the pleasure of watching them some more. I mean Maradona - his skill, balance and strength – unreal

Back
Top Bottom