Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I appreciate that a lot of teams in la liga are a bit piss, but the likes of Hugo Sanchez, Ronaldo (Brazil), Butragueno, Van Nistelrooy, Lineker, Romario - didn't get to the numbers messi and ronaldo have in that league. So either the gap must have widened considerably between those teams and the rest, and the overall quality of the the players in those teams must have significantly improved in the last 10 years - or messi and ronaldo are the freaks everyone says they are.
I don't think there's any doubts that during Messi and Ronaldo's careers in Spain the disparity in the league was greatly increased - look at the tables.

I don't know that Van Nistlerooy is a good case to present on your behalf, given that he was in his 30s and only had 2 healthy seasons at Madrid - in which he was fantastic and continued scoring at slightly more prolific rates than during his time at an equally domestically dominate United.

Anyway, they're both all-time great players. It's just silly trying to compare across eras in my opinion. There's far too many differences in the game today from 20, 30, 50 years ago to make an objective comparison.

Hes probably one of the most consistent players ever. Consistently devours those spanish farmers. Consistently fails in important matches on the biggest stages. Maybe not goat but definitely a baby lamb.

2009/10 - 47 goals
2010/11 - 53 goals
2011/12 - 73 goals
2012/13 - 60 goals
2013/14 - 41 goals
2014/15 - 58 goals
2015/16 - 41 goals
2016/17 - 54 goals
2017/18 - 45 goals
2018/19 - 50 goals

Surely this is the end of the debate. There has never been, and probably will never be, a better player than Lionel Messi. The greatest footballer of all time.

For pure, natural and instinctive play he is without equal. He does things with the ball and would not be able to tell you how or why afterwards, it's just in his soul.

It's not a debate.

Ronaldo can be debated as not being top 5. Messi can't.

I rate Messi, R9, Garrincha, Maradona and Zidane as better.

I'd also make strong arguments for Cruyff and Di Stefano.

Back
Top Bottom