Modern AVB Making Tottenham His Own

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yawn!! Trendy Villas Boas. I have seen no tangible evidence on the pitch that we are getting better.

Goons have their worse start in 25 years and they are still on our case. We still cant break down teams who set up to defend. We still try to play through the middle WAY too much. And his subs can still be a bit baffling.

Jury well and truly out.

Last season was a disgrace and Harry got everything he deserved. Why do people assume if you're not convinced by AVB you're automatically pining after saggy chops?
Good to hear that.

Because for a damn long time that was exactly the case.

FFS, you remember this cunt?
A10hHrACcAM28K-.jpg

Have you, talk me through it. Without mention of the league table. What have you seen on the pitch recently that makes you think we are improving.

Just on top of my head

- we prepare tactically for each opponent, have a clear playing philosphy and substitutions actually form part of a tactical strategy beyond the 1980s manuals

- we have number of players who 'earned' their chance and play well - Dawson, Defoe, Caulker, Friedel/Lloris - none of this bullshit squad alienation and using 13 players for 10 months continuosly - i.e. rotation

- we take the EL seriously and respect it as a competition with the intent of winning it as opposed to some inconvenience, playing the U17s

- we are pressing far better as a unit

- we have lost only 2 games in the last 20 - not sure what team can better than, probably only Man Utd at the moment

- lately we are scoring late goals, as opposed to concedeing them

- we have become an exceptionally good 'away' team, one of the Top 3 this season

- we have a guy who genuinely wants to be here, not serve his own little personal agenda and refers to the club as 'we'

- we lost key players last season, yet fixture-by-fixture are performing better

Just on top of my head

- we prepare tactically for each opponent, have a clear playing philosphy and substrituations actually form part of a tactical strategy beyond the 1980s manuals

- we have number of players who 'earned' their chance and play well - Dawson, Defoe, Caulker, Friedel/Lloris - none of this bullshit squad alienation and using 13 players for 10 months continuosly - i.e. rotation

- we take the EL seriously and respect it as a competition with the intent of winning it as opposed to some inconvenience, playing the U17s

- we are pressing far better as a unit

- we have lost only 2 games in the last 20 - not sure what team can better than, probably only Man Utd at the moment

- lately we are scoring late goals, as opposed to concedeing them

- we have become an exceptionally good 'away' team, one of the Top 3 this season

- we have a guy who genuinely wants to be here, not serve his own little personal agenda and refers to the club as 'we'

- we lost key players last season, yet fixture-by-fixture are performing better

I would say 90% of the above is common misconception, all I see is us flooding the middle with players then trying to play the ball through 22 people in one half of the pitch.

I think we need to take a balanced view, we have hardly set the league alight scoring at will but we haven't really been conceding many either. For the most part we have been inching games by the odd goal, as soon as the performance drops we are susceptible to dropping points the two Norwich games highlight that more than anything.

The new pressing style is good, it puts teams under pressure we don't let them breathe. Some selections this season have been interesting, why does Siggurdson not get more game time? Why is Parker playing in games where we are entrenched in the opponents half?

We would have taken top 4 with 12 games to go before the season and if you offered me an end to the season now with Spurs in 4th I would take it.

If we finish outside the top 4 it is not failure, didn't think we would get it at the start of the season and despite what the media is saying about our local rivals blue and red they are not playing that badly, they are picking up points and often scoring more than us. Obviously we are desperate for champions league, we want to retain Bale and attract Moutinho. I think the whole media and fan reaction to finishing outside the top 4 will be worse than the reality.

From Redknapp's 'piggy in the middle' training sessions, the players now turn up every morning expecting something different from the day before. The training ground is a mountain of dossiers and powerpoint presentations but, on the pitch, he makes sure it all makes sense to the players.

Lol, I can actually believe those took place.

I think it's quite tough to say if we finish fourth then he's only as good as Harry. (something allardyce has allegedly said in the build up to tonight.)

If the league played out how it should, then how can we realistically expect to finish any higher than fourth when you have two clubs floated by unlimited resources and man utd competing in the same league. Arguably Woolwich should be miles ahead too if their manager wasn't such a stubborn cunt. It relies on someone up there slipping up, which is why we are in touching distance of a 3rd place finish.
We shouldn't even be finishing above Liverpool every year on paper, but they have been so neglect fully mismanaged that it let us in.

With all the pressure AVB was under at the start, so many spurs fans, journos and fans of other teams almost expected us to drop out of the top 6. If we do finish fourth then he's done just about as good a job as he could have done this season in my opinion. Except possibly in the domestic cups where we've been knocked out by far inferior opposition.

Cheers for the article Arc. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with AVB and think he's doing a great job.

I'll still be moaning if he doesn't pick Lloris v Inter though, in at least one of the legs :)

From Redknapp's 'piggy in the middle' training sessions, the players now turn up every morning expecting something different from the day before. The training ground is a mountain of dossiers and powerpoint presentations but, on the pitch, he makes sure it all makes sense to the players.

Lol, I can actually believe those took place.

Wasn't AVB quoted today saying he doesn't use prozone and has never focused on endless stats and dossiers with the players?

I would say 90% of the above is common misconception, all I see is us flooding the middle with players then trying to play the ball through 22 people in one half of the pitch.

I think its all relative. Depends on what comparison you take.

Compared to last season I think we are more organised, better defensively but lacking the attacking flair we (sometimes) showed previously. I also think we continue to struggle to break teams down.

Compared to this season I think we have improved a great deal defensively and are showing more resilience, getting results late on instead of just letting games run away from us.

New manager, new system, new players... I fully expected it to be a season of one step back and (hopefully!) two forward.

So far Im delighted with the position we are in, particularly happy with the consistency of the side, and think there is clearly a great deal of room for improvement. My hope is that the ground work is being done now to be the foundation of that improvement.

Back
Top Bottom