Most over-rated/under-rated players?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have to admit, I always thought that Carrick was a bit under-rated. Certainly under-used by England. He had a lot of technical quality and rarely gave the ball away. He was one paced, but so are other players who play in a similar position such as Basquets and obviously Pirlo. Not to say Carrick was on either of their level, he wasn't, but he was still a very good player.

Carrick was a fantastic player, only thing is his defensive side of the game didn’t get good till the later stage of his career. I don’t mean tackling I mean his positioning, at United it really improved. Prior to that he was seen as a luxury player, amazing on the ball but could leave the defence open.

Pique - not a terrible player but not that great at defending nor as good on the ball as say Vertoghen. Had the luck to play for Spain and Barca which meant he rarely was got at during the peak period.

Speaking of Pique, he's one of the very few "top" footballers I've met and although it was a pretty brief conversation, I have to say that he genuinely seemed one of the nicest and most humble blokes you could ever wish to meet. Spoke perfect English. Very good looking lad too. No homo.

Speaking of Pique, he's one of the very few "top" footballers I've met and although it was a pretty brief conversation, I have to say that he genuinely seemed one of the nicest and most humble blokes you could ever wish to meet. Spoke perfect English. Very good looking lad too. No homo.
Shakira thought so

I agree with Beckham. Don't get me wrong, he was a very good player, but not as great as some made him to be.
I think if you remove all the external stuff, the self promotion, the hype - football wise, he was an excellent, gifted player. He lacked pace but so did the likes of sheringham and zidane. Him and Neville were superb on the right for Utd, the most successful Utd. I don’t think he’s overrated but I think he’s an absolute bellend.

Very few could ping a ball 50 yards or cross a ball as accurately as Beckham time and again. For some reason a lot of people are obsessed with nothing but pace and someone doing 3 or 4 stepovers.

To be fair Wilshere looked an outstanding prospect early on. Injuries and a bad attitude ruined him. Irks me that he still thinks he's the dog bollocks though, despite only fulfilling perhaps half of his potential.

I think Hazard has world class ability but truly world class players don't go missing for full seasons, let alone twice in his career. On his day he is unplayable, but he is also very lazy in training and regularly shows up at preseason out of shape, at his age he can't be doing that anymore.

I have to disagree with that. I thought Gerrard was a far superior footballer to Lampard, his work rate, tackling was outstanding and he was only just behind Beckham as the best long range passer and crosser of that generation. I still rate as Scholes as the best midfield in the Prem of that era but Gerrard was a close second, he was far more than score a screamer and I felt Lampard was much more limited in his game outside of goal scoring.
Both pale compared to prime Scholes. But I think Chelsea wouldn’t have had that golden era without Lampard.
Gerard wasn’t bad, I just don’t think he’s in my top 5 Prem midfielders

Gerrard was overrated, scored a blinder every now and then but added little more. Fat Frank was actually a very good and potent AM.
they should never have been teamed together for England though

Christ. Whatever drugs you've been taking recently. Stop.

In a Liverpool shirt Gerrard was as good a player there was around for Donkeys years. Almost won games for them on his own at times.

Behave. Alonso was great but Gerrard had far more to his game. He's named as one of the two best ever Liverpool players for a reason. Alonso doesn't even come into the conversation for fucks sake.
What more does Gerrard have to his game beyond shooting and running around? Poor positional sense, average passer, poor tackling, poor vision. Gerrard is the typical example of effort over susbtance.

Alonso was the best DLP of his generation. Starting for not only Liverpool, but for many dominant sides including Real Madrid, Bayern and Spain NT. Even at 22, the Red Beard led sociedad to their highest point total ever and 2nd in la liga.

Anyone that thinks Gerrard is comparable to a technician like Alonso has probably spent too much time watching overrated english players running around in the PL.

whatever you see in Gerrard that makes you think he is a great player, I definitely don't see it. I care more for what a player can do with the ball, than what he can do with his body and Gerrard leaves me unconvinced.

I look at players like KDB and simply don't see Gerrard at the same level. I can't even think of a game in which he dominated the midfield against a top quality midfield opposition.

But to show you that my opinion is not as unique as you think

Those survey's mean absolutely nothing. Most votes are probably from salty United, Everton and Celtic fans.

Here's a quote from Alonso himself.

“Oh for sure, he’s in my top 3,” Alonso told James Pearce of the Echo – who’s exclusive interview on Anfield Extra is fantastic viewing. “He made my game much easier, because I need better players than me around me, to make my game better. Believe me, he was one of them.

“Technically, physically, being able to deliver special moments… He was the most influential player in my career.

“What he meant for the club and how he showed that all over the world – everyone links Gerrard and Liverpool – and it’s just a perfect projection of the club.”

Or, like Zidane, does his own opinion not hold any weight with yourself? Anyway, I'm done talking about Gerrard. He's never played for Spurs and has been retired for a fair while now. I just find it absolutely bonkers someone can say the things you have about him and actually be deadly serious. But each to their own.

Are you saying Gerrard was better player than Modric?

I hope not.

Different players and shouldn't be compared. But out of the two I'd say Gerrard was the better player overall. Both world-class but Gerrard elevated Liverpool more than Modric did for us or Real Madrid if I'm not being biased. But it's like comparing Suarez with Batistuta. Prefer to just call them both world-class as they offer completely different strengths to each other, and could easily play together in the same midfield.

Back
Top Bottom