Na Na Na Na Rafa Van Der Vaart Van Der Vaart

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thou shallt not disrespect thy van of the vaart

Rafael-van-der-Vaart-001.jpg

VDV was pure class.
I love how much he hated the Gooners; I love how much he loved the Lane; I love how he showed up for big matches.

I remember when we signed him. Spent hours online trying to find somebody to confirm it and all we kept hearing was "maybe," "probably," "was it done on time?"
He was such a steal.

Too bad he never could play the full 90.
Honestly though, his highlights against the Scum are good enough for me.

After Ledley, my favorite Spurs player in last ten years.

I think it's easy to rose tint Rafa's time at Spurs.

He was a extremely popular player (see Lewis Holtby or Sandro), with pedigree who signed for the club unexpectedly.

On form he was unplayable, but a luxury player in the purest sense.

Unable to put in more than a 50 min shift, a stubbornness to only play in his prefered "No 10" position and a reluctance to commit to any defensive responsibilities. You can see why AVB considered him unsuitable.

That said, I will always love him for the passion he showed for the shirt and his performances against the cunts down the road.

The affair was over too early, but "It's better to burn out, than to fade away"

Now you're just being a cunt by comparing him to Holtby. Rafa was streaky, often injured, and never 90-min fit, but he was class for us.

AVB maybe wasn't wrong for not pandering to him and telling him that he was an automatic starter, but he definitely could have handled it better, and without pushing him towards the exit.
That's a very early and harsh play of the "cunt card".
bold-strategy.png

I remeber seeing van der Vaart playing for Ajax and Hamburg as a youngster and hoping one day we'd sign him (but we were proper shit back then, and had no chance) - he then went to Real Madrid and I accepted it'd probably never happen...

I couldn't believe it when we signed him, it came out of nowhere and I was so fucking happy!

And what a player he was, for us. That first season especially, he was awesome. The next season he couldn't play a full 90 minutes, but I will always regard him as a Spurs legend.

Back
Top Bottom