Nailing my colours to the mast

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It takes a while for a new playing style to be instilled into the squad, surely. Especially when our outgoing manager's philosophy was summed up with the words "just fucking run around a bit."

At the brightest point of Harry's reign, Spurs played some beautiful stuff indeed, but we were also altogether inconsistent, and by the end of last season teams had really picked apart our game plan. When put under strain, we lacked the ideas and creativity that had defined our loose style, and it turned into a train wreck.

Yes, the style of football that AVB had us playing at first wasn't what we all would have preferred, but I think now, in hindsight -- and with the understanding of that excellent article posted the other day about the coaching philosophy of Mourinho and AVB -- it's easy to see that he was taking baby steps toward a more creative and incisive attacking style.

These days, the squad seems to be developing and introducing more creative elements to our possession, but the core of our play remains a pressing game. It seems that AVB has been trying to take "baby steps" with the development of the squad. With the high line, it seems against Woolwich that we've started to learn when to press, and when to fall back. We were nearly caught out several times, but one of the distinguishing characteristics of the NLD was how Spurs' back line pressed high, then transitioned to a low-block when under threat, while Woolwich's back line pressed high, and seemed reliant on the off-side trap to protect against counter-attack, rather than proactively mark Spurs' attackers and organize their defense efficiently.

With possession, I think we're seeing the evolving character of the system that AVB wants to instill. It was comical in the early weeks of the season to assume that AVB had yet had remotely enough time to work with the squad for his preferred playing style to have taken root, when people were complaining about boring, non-creative football, and defensive substitutions. Please, I expected it from Chelsea, and that entire club has been -- once again -- shown to be a bunch of mugs, but I really found the vociferous complaints against AVB's early tenure to be disheartening. Are we really so immature as to assume that a new manager can introduce a new playing style, and be done with it, in the space of the first month or two of the season? Or, that a handful of unimpressive games at the start of the season are truly representative of his quality?

AVB has explained his philosophy before. He believes in possessive and pressing football, and to that end he had our entire team pressing hard from day one, and sometimes we were bit in the ass, contributing to an opponent's parking of the bus by pressing them hard into their own box. But, with this manner of football, he's also talked before about the necessity of "provoking" the opponent, of pulling them out to create space, then punishing them with a quick vertical transition into attack, and open space. That is an altogether more complicated tactic to instill into the squad, so I'm not surprised that it has taken a while, but I think we're starting to see that quality.

I wasn't thrilled when Harry left. I wanted continuity in leadership and not a revolving door. I admit- I was wrong. I think the management stability I was looking for is there with AVB ( I also think Harry will manage chelsea soon- and would have jumped ship on us if they asked him).
tumblr_m4e221S9l31qlpkzjo2_r2_400.gif
Do you think AVB will hang around if he is offered the Barca job, if their manager fails to overcome his illness, or turn down Real Madrid - if Mourinho moves on?
Its not a condemnation of AVB, just a reflection of how things are in a world dominated by clubs with big fat chequebooks

Do you think AVB will hang around if he is offered the Barca job, if their manager fails to overcome his illness, or turn down Real Madrid - if Mourinho moves on?
Its not a condemnation of AVB, just a reflection of how things are in a world dominated by clubs with big fat chequebooks
I think there is a better grasp on our clubs long term goals by AVB regardless. I also think the chelsea experience might work in our favour there.

There's no place now for any negativity!
The final dozen or so games will make-or-break our season. The fact we're still in with a shout of 3rd AND the Europa League speaks volumes about how our season has already panned out.

Let's keep on believing, we CAN do this!
If we do, let the joyous news be spread, the wicked old witch is dead,,.. But if we don't, then all hell will be unleashed I'm sure!

Until it's certain either way, let's fucking support the team, and eachother, in what could yet be a Glorious end of season!!

It takes a while for a new playing style to be instilled into the squad, surely. Especially when our outgoing manager's philosophy was summed up with the words "just fucking run around a bit."

If you are truly stupid enough to believe that, then you deserve all you get in life.

If AVB is as sage as you intimate, why does he persist in deploying Dempsey in a spurs shirt, anywhere inside a 50 mile radius of where the first team are playing?

If he plays him again when fit, despite the proof positive that we play much better without him, then I will refuse to believe that any of the current success is attributable to anything he (AVB) does.

Yes please.

I met mine when we were set up by a mutual friend.
We met via mutual friends but she was in FL and I was in the UK so "met" is something that was done over the web at first. We got to know each other for a while and then she flew to the UK and met me, she was in the country for 60 hours.
After that I commuted every 3 weeks to FL for 18 months until she moved to the UK for 5 years. Now we are in FL permanently.

Lots of airmiles, lots of high phone bills but worth it.

There's no place now for any negativity!
The final dozen or so games will make-or-break our season. The fact we're still in with a shout of 3rd AND the Europa League speaks volumes about how our season has already panned out.

Let's keep on believing, we CAN do this!
If we do, let the joyous news be spread, the wicked old witch is dead,,.. But if we don't, then all hell will be unleashed I'm sure!

Until it's certain either way, let's fucking support the team, and eachother, in what could yet be a Glorious end of season!!

YvJaLQQ.jpg

We met via mutual friends but she was in FL and I was in the UK so "met" is something that was done over the web at first. We got to know each other for a while and then she flew to the UK and met me, she was in the country for 60 hours.
After that I commuted every 3 weeks to FL for 18 months until she moved to the UK for 5 years. Now we are in FL permanently.

Lots of airmiles, lots of high phone bills but worth it.
Where do you watch games down there? Did Big Ben pub close?

Back
Top Bottom